Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 07:25:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus has not sold  (Read 4832 times)
busnut104

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »

Well I have had the bus up for sale at my sister in laws business for around 4 weeks now, Advertised in several local papers. and the auto trader and craigslist. Had at least 4 people that wanted to see  the bus but never showed. To tell you the truth I'm just getting plane tired of the hole thing, It is a shame but I'm just not going to use it. and not to even think about the money lost. kinda like the stock market. I lower the price  here locally from 79900. to 67500. I have been thinking about lowering every week 500. till sold or till I lose my nerve. and then I will jack the price back up and park it for another year. What do you all think.  Just tired of people that does not show, I really do not have the time.   
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »

Bus conversions are not easy to sell anytime, especially now.

I don't know what bus you have but if it is a 4104 that is a pretty high price.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »

Do you need to have a fire sale?    Right now in this world our buses are a luxury.   People can't make there house payments let alone qualify for a bus loan.   

You can put it on Ebay and start the bidding at $20K and put your reserve where you need it.   
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:15:27 AM »

As others have said, selling a bus right now is tough. Have you thought of listing it in the BCM?

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:37 AM »

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/rvs/1771005361.html

Here is the Craigslist ad.  I can see doing a better job of advertising.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:57:53 AM »

I think that's how I would post it if my wife was making me sell it and I did not want to. Personally I would not call an add like that. If you were going to try and get $70,000 from me you best at least tell me what kind it is and some pictures to lure me to a 4 to 10hr drive to see it. I think you need to get your pictures together and let us help you write something up.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 05:05:19 AM »

That and without looking at it you have to remember that a MCI 8 conversion doesn't sell quickly priced in the 30,000 dollar range.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 05:08:24 AM »

BLUNT..you dreaming on price!!I have a 89 prevost with 2 slides..granite floors ,documented engine and much more ...would be happy to get 45,000 in this market... Sorry to be bearer of bad news...but would have to be pristine to bring 1/2 of what you want...Didn't say it is not but market not there...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:44:20 AM »

I wish you all the best in selling your coach, but, there is way too much competition in that price range.
Usually, what the people with that kind of cash seem to want is slides, 102 wide, 4 stroke turbo engines, automatic transmissions, name brand recognition, etc.

I'd suggest finding a broker who specializes in selling expensive toys & pay him a sales commission if it sells. He will know how to best market your coach.
Obviously simple adds & parking it on the side of the road isn't working.

Having a bus conversion is a hobby, & hobbies exist to absorb all available cash, not make money.   Sad

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »

Just FYI, I have cut the price of my 4903 shell to $3000, and still only tire-kickers.

And this is in California.
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »

If you want, you can store it on my parents farm up here in Ohio for the next couple years....you can put a for sale sign it.  They get a lot of traffic down their country road.  I'll take it upon myself, volunteerly of course, to take it out 4-5 times a year and drive it around for a 3-6 day peroid, with the for sale sign in it of course, trying to get some free advertisement for you.  Heading to MIS speedway in a few days, if you want, drive it up here and I'll take it up and park it in the infield where I'll guarentee I'll get you some lookers and give multiple tours AND probably some chicks in bikini's to pose with it, for future advertising, and not cost to you.  I would bet i'd probably get a few offers for you.  We have 7 lots together in the infield, plenty of room to park it.  Just offering a friendly gesture.  I'm here to help!!!!  I wish someone would have offered me this offer when I was selling mine, would have made it so much easier!

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
josephgranzier
4106 fan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »

So with the $500 weekly deduction ,in 135 weeks it's a freebee?
or after 90 to 100 weeks it will sell? Wink

This is a tough hobby , so many fellas put their heart and soul and hard earned cash into these units and find its not a investment . We read about it all the time.

Someone else said it better than I and I think of it when i 'm selling one of my cars or trucks.
" Some things are priced to sell and some things are priced to keep"

Best of luck , I hope you take up the offer and get plenty of pictures - they'll help

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:11:09 PM »

I have only had my bus for a year but had been in the recreational (boat & yacht) industry for years. You will not 95% of the time buy a recreational vehicle for enjoyment and get your investment back in the form of cash. I look at it as an investment in mine & my family's enjoyment and quality of life. And for allot of us that tackle a conversion on one of these enormous toys get enjoyment and pleasure out of each accomplishment that gets us closer to making it the traveling vehicle of our dreams.

We have taken several trips in ours as basically a steel tent (see photo below). Even if I had to dump it right now for $500.00 to put food on the table (god willing that will never happen  Wink I have given my children great experiences and memories that they will always have of traveling across country in a cool old GMC Buffalo  Grin And that my friends is worth every penny I have spent on her.

Happy Travels and good luck selling your memory maker,
Bryan

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 06:26:41 AM »

I have only had my bus for a year but had been in the recreational (boat & yacht) industry for years. You will not 95% of the time buy a recreational vehicle for enjoyment and get your investment back in the form of cash. I look at it as an investment in mine & my family's enjoyment and quality of life. And for allot of us that tackle a conversion on one of these enormous toys get enjoyment and pleasure out of each accomplishment that gets us closer to making it the traveling vehicle of our dreams.

We have taken several trips in ours as basically a steel tent (see photo below). Even if I had to dump it right now for $500.00 to put food on the table (god willing that will never happen  Wink I have given my children great experiences and memories that they will always have of traveling across country in a cool old GMC Buffalo  Grin And that my friends is worth every penny I have spent on her.

Happy Travels and good luck selling your memory maker,
Bryan

I know what you paid you highway robber Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 06:28:31 AM »

I agree with Bryan. We started with a seated coach a little over 10 years ago. We have probably invested around $40-50,000 over that time (not county about 5-6000 hours of labor). Could I get that much for it now, very doubtful. But, the friends we have made, places we have seen, and family time are priceless.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:04 AM »

Wally,

Shh! Don't tell anyone  Grin I might want to sell it for a profit one day  Grin LOL!
Seriously though, I know my old Buffalo is not as desired as some others but I like its character and the classic lines. Everyone that has seen all the rivets say man that thing looks like it is built well  Shocked I just tell them if it had wings and could get up to about 180mph it just might fly  Cheesy Cheesy

Jack,

I figure by the time I am done I will have somewhere near the same amount into mine. But with only 78K & change on the entire motor & chassis it should last me the rest of my life. That is unless I win the lottery and can splurge, lol!

Bryan
ToppDog

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 12:07:53 AM »

To the OP: I found the older ad with pics.  It's a nice bus.  Too bad I don't have that kind of cash.
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »

Well I put a new add on Craigslist, Pa. let's see if that is any better. I know the other add did not get good reviews from here. I did adjust the price, I will profitable have to make several adjustments in this economy. There were some post that implied that I was trying to make a profit. If you call asking almost 90,000. less then is invested then I guess I'm.     
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 08:34:19 PM »

Well, give us the link to see it. Roll Eyes
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »

Is this it?

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/rvs/1803910636.html

busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 09:07:10 PM »

That's It.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 03:07:51 AM »

interior looks dark like a old bar from the 70's may be a nice bus may have a lot of stuff bu not worth over $25,000 in this economy  people want plush at your price   leather and fancy walls. they want new  not outdated.  sorry   just my 2 cents worth.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 03:23:31 AM »

interior looks dark like a old bar from the 70's may be a nice bus may have a lot of stuff bu not worth over $25,000 in this economy  people want plush at your price   leather and fancy walls. they want new  not outdated.  sorry   just my 2 cents worth.

Lets' be careful with negative comments, that's shows a lot of hard work and sweat went into it. It's best to see it in person, I'm sure it's very nice from what I could see and the engine and tranny work would make someone a nice ride. Those are big bucks!

DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 05:05:25 AM »

Thats a much better ad. Coach looks sharp, more places you can get it posted the better. Get it on the all the bus boards, there was a couple looking for something similar not long ago.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 05:19:14 AM »

busnut104, I like the ad and the photos are a good start at letting folks know what a great bus you have for sale.  Might consider setting up a photobucket account (or other free photo service) and post several more photos.  You can then change the ad to include a link to that page.

Interior looks fine to me from the one photo. 

Like others, I can only hope you get your price or something close to it.  In a market a few years ago, it would be a good price.  I have seen a few buses go for a "reasonable" price in the past several months, so maybe you will find the right buyer.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 05:22:53 AM »

I like that add 10 times better. That is a very nice coach indeed and NOW any potential buyer knows more about it. You should get some tire kickers now.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »

Bill,
My opinion - if it matters . . . .

You have a nice coach & we don't mean to minimize your efforts or expenses in creating this work of art. But, times have changed & that limits the potential buyers.

In my opinion, Craig's list caters to the frugal & I don't see a frugal person as a likely buyer of your coach - not because your coach isn't nice, but because in that price range, there are many offerings that have more modern features - slides, 4-stroke, etc. . . . Also, if I was looking, EBay would be the first place I looked.

Since the market for your coach is so small, you really need to make it easier for the buyer to 'sell it' to his/ her significant other. This will involve spending some money on advertising it. You will need to put the same effort into selling it as you did creating it if you want to maximize results.

I would suggest putting a lot of photos (100 + ) on a photo hosting site and put a video on you tube (so the buyer can see & hear the engine & possibly the view riding down the road).
Have a bank approved appraisal done - this will make it easier for a long distance buyer to arrange funding before flying out to see the coach. Then, they can simply drive it home.

List it on EBay & give links to the photo hosting site & the video. You will definitely reach more people on EBay, just be sure to set your reserve high enough so you don't sell yourself short.

Good luck.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 06:15:11 AM »

Some sad commentaries............it seems everyone wants something for free.........that's a darn nice looking bus......with hours of hard work!  It's extremely well equipped!  If you want junk buy junk, don't bash something because your cheap!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:34:55 AM by muddog16 » Logged

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:17 AM »

Nice looking bus. I think it's a fair price, but it may take some time to find the right buyer. More photos are needed to really show it off and generate interest. The more information, the better
to find someone who appreciates the whole package and price.

If you need help with photos or setting up a more detailed ad, there are plenty here who will help. Just ask.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17:21 AM »

That is a good looking bus the problem he has is so many factory conversions on the market you can buy a 92 -94 lo mileage Prevost factrory conversion with all the bells and whistles for under 70gs now with a little shopping and it is not going to get better with the tight money and fuel prices on the rise.
I do hope he sells and he knows it will be a money losing deal but sometimes you cut your loses and move on a bus is one of the few things that cost you money just sitting still .

good luck 

Life is short drink the good wine first
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 07:20:34 AM »

because i have Asperger's syndrome i say it like it is.no woman will like the dark walls.my wife wanted me to paint my lite oak cabinets bright white. i told her to step off the bus in traffic. there was no way i would paint perfectly good oak. but in order to sell it to a married man you may have to lighten it up.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »

Some sad commentaries............it seems everyone wants something for free.........that's a darn nice looking bus......with hours of hard work!  It's extremely well equipped!  If you want junk buy junk, don't bash something because your cheap!
There is a 'wal-mart' mentality out there. . . . . And, sometimes one needs to hear unpleasant things in order to make the best decision.

Sadly, Bill has stated he won't be able to use his coach any more & that is why he wants to sell it. He is having a tough time selling it- even tho it appears to be well above average for a conversion. It is bad enough that he has to sell it. Singing praises & clapping him on the back telling him what a fine coach it is won't help sell it.

I've had to sell some things that were very special to me & the worst part wasn't the lower than expected selling price, but rather all the well intended advice that it was worth more. All that advice did was lead me to price it out of the market & that ended up costing me more in the long run.

The hardest lesson I had to learn is that it has no actual cash value until someone wants to pay you for it.

It is no secret that times are tough & the easy money isn't available any more. Those who still have money have the advantage in that it is a buyer's market now. With the banks selling repoed RVs for less than they are worth, there are lots of values out there to choose from, so the buyers can be very picky.

It is not a matter of what it cost to create, but what someone will pay for it. With so many out there, the competition for a buyer is tough & many sellers have no choice except to drop the price so it will sell by a certain deadline. So, any used RV isn't likely to sell easily for anywhere near it's real value.

Edit to add -
All that to explain why it is so important to advertise it properly - make it as easy as possible for a buyer to fall in love with your fantastic coach & stop looking at others.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:54:06 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:11 AM »

Guys, There is a way to criticize someones work without demeaning the project or person. I agree that everyones taste is different, but it doesn't mean that it's not good. Pointing out faults is as good as the pluses, but done tastefully to get the point across is all I really mean.

The OP has put his work out in front of the world, and I'm sure he is very proud of his accomplishments, I know I would. Anything can be picked apart if you look close enough. I think his pictures and description speak well of him and his coach. I'm also sure he hates to sell it, it's a sad time when that has to happen due to circumstances.

ccbmster

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »

Looks like a great job was done on this conversion and I would LOVE to have it.  And, I am in the market for one.  However, as has been said, there are a ton of nice conversions out there that are sitting waiting to be sold and some great deals in the thirty grand range.

It is sad but bank financing on bus conversions is not exactly an easy thing to get.  Those guys like to be able to "look it up in the blue book".

Most bus conversions are made to order and there is a reason for that.

One thing I learned a LONG time ago when I was raising and training horses is that somethings worth is NOT what you have invested but what someone else is willing to give you for it.  In the horse business you have to know when to cut your losses because the longer one is in your barn the more you have invested, making it that much more you lose when you finally give up and sell it.

I know that busses dont eat like horses but the longer they sit, the longer it has been since the conversion was done the less you can expect to get out of it.  Plus there is the money you spend on any insurance you have on it while it is sitting and good old mother nature slowly sucking the value out of it via rust and/or sun fade to the paint etc etc.  Not to mention that busses are made to be used and sitting around is just not good for them mechanically.

In short, "you got to know when to holdem and know when to foldem.  Know when to walk away and know when to run"

86 MCI 102A3  MI/CA with SoCal being primary. 6V92 with Allison 740 Auto
82 MCI 9 8V71N with Allison 740 Auto..soon to be parted out or scrapped
ccbmster

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:24 AM »

Decided maybe I should expound a bit on why, at least in my opinion why, conversions are done to order and not on spec.

No matter how nice a job you do on one it is almost inevitable that any prospective buyer is going to wish something was different than you made it, in some way or another.  For example, as lovely as your bus is, my wife and I would just not be happy with all that blue in the carpet and the furniture.  Now that would seem to be a pretty minor thing to most folks, but for us to lay out anywhere near that kind of money and then start ripping up the carpet and throwing out the furniture......well lets just say that that alone would keep us looking for a LOOOOONG time before being tempted to jump on this bus.  And that is just from the limited pics provided.  I am sure if we flew down and looked there would be other things that we would find that we would want to change to one degree or another.

I bought the coach I have now fully converted and went through the changing this and that and addings stuff I wanted that wasnt there.  I enjoyed doing some of that but I got that coach at a price where I didnt mind doing it too.

I have FAR less experience with conversions than most folks on here and have very little talent for doing the work myself.  But, these are my thoughts on the subject as a buyer. For what my thoughts are worth, there they are.

86 MCI 102A3  MI/CA with SoCal being primary. 6V92 with Allison 740 Auto
82 MCI 9 8V71N with Allison 740 Auto..soon to be parted out or scrapped
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »

If it makes anyone feel better....I felt like my bus conversion was kind of crappy when we sold it, because absolutley nothing was completed.  But the guys that bought it thought it was freaking awesome.  Everyone's busses are awesome just some are more awesome than others, of course depending on your awesome scale!  quit explaining and find a buyer for this bussers bus!!  If i could get someone or this board to give me an interest free loan for 60k, I'd buy this beauty for 65k.  Any takers?  I still think my offer a few weeks ago was a solid golden one! 

just lookin for a bus Greg

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »

I just posted some interior pix of my bus for another MC5 owner. I know what it cost me to build the interior and do all the machanical work she needed when I bought her. Some of my neighbors think I'm some kind of a nutcase when I brag about my bus being 42 years old and being able to run with the big boys on the Interstate. Sure I'd like to off this jewell to someone at a reasonable price, say $35K which is less than I have in it..but I wouldn't want to disappoint my wife like that.

To her it's home (we full time). I think even the dog would bite me in the ankle if I accepted that figure.

From the Eternal Dreamer,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »

NCbob, you may be a nutcase. You have no neighbors. You full time, those are just people in traffic ;Dic
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: