Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 05:36:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip Planning Advice Elkhart to Minn ( thru Chicago??? )  (Read 3085 times)
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »

I am planning a trip to Minneapolis, need to be there 6/18. I plan to leave NJ either Wed evening or Thur early. Stop over Elkhart or South Bend.
My question is what is the best time to get thru Chicago before morning rush?

I was planning on traveling I90 up north and out west. Maybe better route ?

Maybe I am over reacting, but I am an early riser and would like to avoid sitting for hours.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:13:40 AM »

Chicago is on central daylight time...daylight is about 5 am...leave Elkhart around 8 put you in chicago area mid morning..your only about 100 miles to Ill border from Elkhart...Going like you are you will miss most of the headaches..80-90 Interstate  to 39 interstate to Madison Wisc..Being from the East coast should be a breeze for you..
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:24:57 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:21:13 AM »

The last time I drove through Chicago on that route we got hungry so we ordered a Pizza.  That's how long we were stuck in traffic...  If I were to plan such a trip, I would cross Chicago at 3 AM.

Seriously, 4 hours from the western tip around the bottom and out the other side towards Detroit, in 100 degree heat.  A long day.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:38:29 AM »

Gary, The other problem is the tolls. We came thru there at 1am 6 weeks ago, no problem but west bound was backed up with construction. Planning on going that way next week, checked last nite almost 2 hrs to miss it.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:39:42 AM »

I agree Brian but there isn't a alternative even if you go south 100 miles you still have to run just the west side of chicago to get to madison Wisconsin ...late nite is prob best...80-90 is a madhouse...if time is no problem go up 75 to Up michigian and across to Mn. Longer route but you could visit Cody and Macinac Island..

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 04:46:16 AM »

Tom,I'm from Ind...FYI..our Governor leased the Ind toll rd to a foreign country to operate (Saudi)or one of those..sorry I did not vote for him!Don't know of a better way.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:09:50 AM »

Personally I would do everything in my power to stay as far away from Chicago as I could (I worked out of Chicago for 12 years, and I live in Los Angeles!).  I highly recommend you continue west on I-80 to Utica and then take I-39 north to Rockford where it rejoins I-90.  You'll just about avoid all the Chicago traffic.  If you get through Gary, In around 5am, I doubt you'll run into any traffic.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »

100 per cent agree with Tom on 39 route...

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »

I usually take I294 through Chicago.  I just avoid rush hour.  Isn't taking I39 a long way out of the way?

I did make the mistake of of going through Downtown Chicago on New Year's day a few years back and traffic was a nightmare.  I figured on no traffic on New Year's day, or I would have skipped going through downtown.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »

I avoid chicago like the plague. Between the tolls and the crappy roads (which the tolls are supposed to maintain) it just isn't worht it for me. The rockford route is always our first choice.

When I was on your with Jonny Lang we got stuck in traffic in Chicago at 3 am!

Good luck and safe travels

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 04:26:04 PM »

Thanks Guys,
We might stop in Elmhurst to visit an old friend, (we weren't old when we met...) They work and have advised 294 has construction and is no bargain. I know that this stop just places us within the traffic...

I think it will be a late night deal thru, or early AM, We are planning to visit other old friends in Cleveland, so I need to reassess when we will be traveling thru.

Bottom line is O' dark thirty, or circumnavigate the area,  I80 to I39N. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Ocean City, NJ
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »

We just took the I-80/I-39 route (from the west) to get to Elkhorn, WI for the FMCA rally.  That avoids some toll roads, but the short stretch of I-90 from Rockford to Beloit cost $5.00 (five axles).

For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would consider I-80 from the east -- even in the dead of night.  When we head to Elkhart we take US24 for most of the trip.  Good road, fun little towns and a bunch easier on the nerves.  It is not that far out of the way.  It is slower IF traffic is perfect on I-80.  I talked to one of the vendors from Elkhart and he had a terrible trip doing 20MPH most of the way through Chicago area.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 08:33:57 PM »

Gary,
What are you coming here for on Father's Day weekend?
Fred

Fred Thomson
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 02:26:13 AM »

I am attending my niece's wedding in Minneapolis. I do not get to see alot of the family often, so this will allow to do so. As I age, time is passing quicker, and I value the extended family's life experiences. I was going to hot-shot it out & back myself, but now my wife is going, which is good, and we are taking more time enroute. Father's Day has nothing to do with this.
I will advise the boss as to the possibility of massive traffic and multihour delays. Still looking at the route & timing. I am thinking I80 - I39N is the ticket, and our Elmhurst close college friend will wait. She works and getting there just in mid afternoon would be a possibility, but also could result in big delays. I understand I294 has construction to worsen the problem.
Been 34 years and we have not been to her home in Chicago. Cleveland is another college friend. Kinda funny, as we had not gotten together since college until last summer. They all traveled to the NJ shore to our home and spent a week. My wife speaks to these girls weekly since college. It will be fun what ever we decide.

Good to see the responses, I have noted all the two axle, 5er's.

Gary

Ocean City, NJ
Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »

Gary sent you a pm

Rick 74 MC-8

About 20 Miles West Of Chicago
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: