Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 01:39:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I build defroster vents?  (Read 3650 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »

Why don't you just take the two hoses and run them to their individual defroster vent, more air would be moved I would think. Have the dash vents moveable/directional.

I'm trying to figure out how to design something that does the conversion from 4" round hose to a vent.  I should probably stop by an RV dealer and see what they carry.  I do need to minimize the space used.

I actually have four 4" round vents from the defroster.  I just didn't show the other two in the photo.  I want to make sure the whole windshield is covered by air.  Many of today's new cars only have a single defrost vent in the center and that just doesn't work well as the corners never defrost.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 03:46:25 AM »

I've seen the round defroster vents on eBay and I think Ronthebusnust.com had them. I've also seen some plastic defrosters from older Fords that are oblong with the round inlet.

I need to get some too, to finish my project, along with some hose!

You also could get some thin galv sheet from Lowes, Menards or Home Depot. Cut to fit your design with the 4" round on the bottom and pop rivet/solder the seams.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:54:57 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
eagle rush

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »

Hi Belfert, You could heat up one end of 4" abs pipe and bend it to what ever size or shape you want, 4" round to 1" oval, just don't heat the one end it will stay 4", when you are done with your shape heat the end and make a tab or flange just by pressing it down.  Now if you don't have the room for a 4" pipe use 2" do the same thing and use a rubber bell reducer2 x 4 to fit. easy and quick, just a nother way, hope this helps,   Richard
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »

The box stores have adapters for the shop vac that work for a reducer,and forced air furnaces in RV's make good vents also and they are 4 inch 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »

I'll have to try the 4" ABS thing.  It is cheap enough to get a chunk of 4" ABS pipe.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »

Why bother with making a 4x2 you can buy the reducer at a plumbing supply for less than 3 bucks and a stick of non foam center ABS pipe is not cheap

good luck
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:55:41 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:55 AM »

Clifford, Great idea! At least for me anyway! Wink

I'm going to give you a call.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »

Brian,

What about taking a suction end from a wet/dry vac and seeing if it would fit over those holes it's a rectangle and being made from plastic it is durable and easily modified. For clarification, I'm talking about the end that you use to vacuum up dust or dirt on a floor. usually a 2" hole for the hose and then a rectangular shaped end that contacts the floor.

Just a thought

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »

Brian

I do have some of the round plastic vents that are directional and are pretty functional. You can have 4 of them, they are 4" around

Call me if you want them

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »

Why bother with making a 4x2 you can buy the reducer at a plumbing supply for less than 3 bucks and a stick of non foam center ABS pipe is not cheap

I forgot that hardware store ABS is foam core.  It isn't the adapters I need.  I am looking for something that converts from 2" or 4" to an oblong slot to blow on the window.  I might end up going with round vents, but I am wondering if they will defrost as well.

I will probably go to a local truck salvage place this week or next and see what they have.

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »

What about taking a 2" PVC and cut it in half. Use heat to shape it first. then use some tinted plexi glass with angled holes drilled in it where it blows towards your winshield. You could follow this up the A-pillers and even across the top blowing down. Or use your circular saw to cut a few 1/2" wide slots 4" long with a stainless mesh attached on the inside. Don't forget the LED lights in it for when your parked. Wink
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 08:16:29 PM »

Brian,

Do a search on eBay for "defroster vents."  When I did it there were 199 items.  Within the first five I found these.

Brian S.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 05:09:03 AM »

I was laying in bed last night and I think I came up with a great way to build my defrost vents.

I am building the new dash out of oak.  My plan is to take two fairly wide boards and place them side by side.  I will then cut some triangle shaped pieces out of 1" thick boards and place them between my wide boards every place I want a vent.  On the back side of the setup I will cut a hole to attach the flexible hose coming from the defroster.  This is probably hard to visualize.  I might need to do a Google Sketchup or something.

I believe this will work, but I need to check clearances and such out in the bus.  I don't think it will look strange because there was already a row of vents at the same location before.  It should look like part of the dash when done. 

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »

Brian,

If you are talking about actually constructing the outlet out of oak, think about the effects of high temperature on the wood.  I don't know if it would be a problem or not.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 06:02:05 AM »

Brian,

If you are talking about actually constructing the outlet out of oak, think about the effects of high temperature on the wood.  I don't know if it would be a problem or not.

I don't think the defroster would get enough use to worry about it.  I might put some epoxy or even some epoxy and fiberglass cloth on the inside of the vent.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: