Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 12:28:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about "Home Made" Sun Shades  (Read 1155 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2006, 04:30:23 AM »

I have been thinking about a sunshade for the side of our "Silversides" to create shade when parked somewhere The catch is... I really don't want that big rolled up awning on the side of the bus when it's not in use. There is a really nice rain gutter that runs full length, and I thought that I might be able to attach full time, small "J" hooks that would recieve, let's say 1" conduit. I was thinking of building the frame out of colapsable, fittogether conduit pipe, then stretch a silver tarp over the top. Sort of like the tarps they use at Flea markets and stuff.

Of course the trick would be to make it look very neat, and still be strong, but come apart in tube lengths no longer than 70".

Has anyone ever seem this done successfully? Am I creating a monster that I should avoid? I don't want anything that is too tacky looking. I have considered a pop up tent but I don't really have the storage space for one of those.

Just call me "Stuck in the middle".

Dave Siegel 

P.S. I just tried to put a picture in and I can't do it either. Even after reading Gary's post for an hour. I got all fired up when I saw Nick's pics (?) from the Delaware Rally. I thought  "I can do that!"   Nope, Dope.

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:30:29 AM »

Dave,

We use a 10' X 10' pop tent we purchased at WalMart. It is very compact in it's own carrying case and I would dare say it would take no more room than the tarp and pipe you are referring to.

Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
belfert

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 10:04:54 AM »

I second the idea of the 10x10 popup shade instead of an awning.  I will be doing that for my bus.  Walmart sells one for $88 that is really nice.  It even has vents in the top so the wind won't be as much of a problem.

You do have to take off the fabric on most popups in high winds so the popup isn't destroyed.  Like a regular awning, they shouldn't be left with the tops on when away from the bus in case wind comes up.

I bought a really good $200 popup at Costco and it survives in pretty high winds if I anchor it good.  I have to use ratchet straps to anchor it though.   The stakes through the leg holes don't hold much past 10 or 15 MPH.  Mine has really heavy fabric and a real metal frame that helps in the wind.

Brian Elfert
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 11:55:57 AM »

Back in the day that I needed some shelter next to the bus I found out through many tries
the easiest thing to do.

I used a silver 10X18 tarp. some 1/4" nylon rope to go through the eyes and around the edges.

Then fastened 2 Eye-Bolts up on the drip rail spaced so that I could run the nylon rope through
each one to pull the tarp up onto the side of the bus. Then using short bungee cords I would attach
the tarp to the drip rail so it wouldn't flap around.

Then I just rigged up two or three poles out of conduit 3/4" and 1/2" that had holes drilled through them
and slid inside each other. Using a clip to lock them into the right postion.

A couple of tent stakes and some more rope to tie the poles to.

Use plenty of bungee cords and the temporary awning can flex and flap so it won't tear anything up. I had a lot
of rain when I was using these types of awnings and they would fill up with water. The bungee's and nylon rope
would give enough for it to dump the water if It got too heavy or a sudden wind came up.

Everything folds up and with only a couple of poles to stash somewhere it was pretty easy.

I now have a 10X10 pop-up shelter that folds up. It has it's drawbacks but is pretty stable
if you give it something to hang onto. ( bungee's) work very good for holding stuff down.

I always buy bungee's and duct tape if I see a good deal, You can never have enough.... Grin

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 02:26:12 PM »

All neat ideas guys...got any pics?

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 02:52:58 PM »

Dave,
We use a 10X20 caqnopy that we got from some sporting goods store.
I needed it since I didn't have an awning at that time, (now I have one, but it's not hooked up), and needed a place to work.
It weighs about 75 pounds and rolls up to about 6' X 1' and stores in the bay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: