Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 04:58:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Feature----> Todays Worthless Trivia.  (Read 4497 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 05:24:12 AM »

OK, I fixed mine, too. Sad to say I had to look up Trigger's owner.

Oh, and by the way, Diamond Rio is a real group...  http://www.diamondrio.com/index.html

Just more useless trivia comin at ya!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dallas

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »

A rat can last longer without water than a camel.

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks, otherwise it will digest itself.

The Declaration of Independence (the very official copy in the Rotunda of the National Archives) is written on parchment, not paper.

The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.

A raisin dropped in a fresh glass of soda will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top.

A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate.

A 2x4 is actually 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" .

40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of Happy Meals.

Every person has a unique tongue print. (Say "aaah")

The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor who had red eyes. He was an albino.

315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary were misspelled.

During the chariot scene in 'Ben Hur' a small red car can be seen in the distance.

On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.

John Wilkes Booth's brother once saved the life of Abraham Lincoln's son. Irony.

Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are brother and sister.

Chocolate kills dogs! Chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system. A few ounces is enough to kill a small sized dog.
(Debated)

Daniel Boone detested coonskin caps.

Playing cards were issued to British pilots in WWII. If they were captured, the cards could be soaked in water and unfolded to reveal a map for escape.

Most lipstick contains fish scales. Yum.

Dr. Seuss actually pronounced Seuss such that it sounded like Sue-ice.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »

Yesterday was VJ Day. That ended the WW2.
Very few knew or reported on it.

Actually, a good many people are aware of VJ Day, the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, and V Day..and Pearl Harbor...but our dominant "progressive" news media has determined that  accurately reporting the facts of a "real" war is offensive...??    So they don't bring it up.   They hope that Americans will forget what actually fighting a war is about...and they appear to have accomplished their goal.   
I don't think western societies are capable of defending themselves at this point in time.   We seem to anticipate defeat.   Clearly some groups hope for defeat.
Planners for WW II knew how to break things and win...beginning with the Korean War, that art has been lost.  Now we are directed to the "Big Hug" for protection from evil-doers.  Geez.
As proof of my thesis, witness the news coverage of the Lebanon/Israeli action.      
Regards, JR
Hope this doesn't add too much "trivia!"

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 05:24:55 AM »

The History of the Greyhound Bus Lines Name:

GREYHOUND BUS
 In 1914, Carl Eric Wickman, a miner, was trying to sell the Hupmobile, a 7-passenger auto, to citizens of the Mesabi Iron Ore Range in Minnesota. A failure as a salesman, Wickman used the Hupmobile to open a bus line, carrying passengers between the towns of Hibbing and Alice, a 2-mi. journey. The bus was so popular that Wickman bought more autos and added 3 extra seats to each one. The long, sleek appearance of the "expanded" buses plus their gray color caused someone to remark that they looked "just like greyhounds streaking by." From then on, Wickman used the slogan, "Ride the Greyhounds."

© 1975 - 1981 by David Wallechinsky & Irving Wallace
JimW7

1970 MC7

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 04:58:22 PM »

Did you know that the hupmobile on display at the greyhound museum has a sign on it that says it got 25mpg?

1970 MCI 7 serial # 8425
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 05:45:51 PM »

Oh, Learned One, I can only bask in the shadow of your Knowledge and Intelligence.  And I can only thank you for the brilliance you show in your offerings to us mere mortals. Wink

My day is only more complete in the knowledge that a mouse can go longer than a camel without water..... Huh

But, Master, please continue to shower us with your tidbits in the hope that one day....we too might be able to sit, cross legged, without pain and endure the Wisdom of the Ages, remain serious, listen to  the Voices...and not break wind........ Undecided

Your most faithful student, Huh

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Dallas

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 07:24:24 PM »

Oh, Learned One, I can only bask in the shadow of your Knowledge and Intelligence.  And I can only thank you for the brilliance you show in your offerings to us mere mortals. Wink

My day is only more complete in the knowledge that a mouse can go longer than a camel without water..... Huh

But, Master, please continue to shower us with your tidbits in the hope that one day....we too might be able to sit, cross legged, without pain and endure the Wisdom of the Ages, remain serious, listen to  the Voices...and not break wind........ Undecided

Your most faithful student, Huh

Bob

Hey, Bob!
Sittonit!

But we love you anyway!
And may your shorts be endowed with fireants.

Tell Jackie I love her... and commiserate with her for putting up with you for 30 years.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »

Thought Diamond Rio was the musical(?) group.  The truck was Diamond Reo. 

Tom I may have mis-spelled the truck name although I thought it was Rio (of course I don't get paid much for thinking & it's been yrs since I saw 1 & Dallas drove 1 LOL!) ! But I can assure you the music group was REO Speedwagon ! Oh what a great group ! I can hardley believe that they are still rock'n together after all these yrs ! (I heard about a concert they put on just this summer somewhere up in N. IL!) I still remember Rock'n the New Year ! With them in 1980 ! Had backstage passes and still have the concert jersey (somewhere!) BK  Grin

Following a dispute with stockholders, Ransom E. Olds quit Oldsmobile even before it was bought by General Motors. He then built cars and trucks under the REO brand name.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »

In a similar vein as Lens, since he mentioned GMC,
Think about this:

In the 1994 Movie, "Maverick", The initials of the stagecoach line in the movie are "GMC" which continued the use of GMC trucks in the Richard Donner/Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon series. GMC trucks have been driven by Gibson's character in every Lethal Weapon movie.

Hollywood is always on the watch for a fresh face, and the GMC Motorhome's futuristic appearance was definitely not lost on them.

The GMC had a "starring" role in the movie Stripes opposite Bill Murray and Harold Ramos as a very chique yet tough armored personnel carrier. Sporting an olive green(naturally) paint job, it served as both a gun platform and troop transport. Certainly farfetched, but it made for good comedy.

The GMC also had a much smaller role in Twister as a high-tech platform for tornado tracking equipment. While the GMC motorhome didn't get much screen time inTwister, that particular coach has some interesting features. It has the upward swinging rear panel that some Transmodes were equipped with and it has been modified to add a driver's door. Dressed up all in black, it was unfortunately one of the bad guys.

The Notorious Bettie Page (2005)
Factual errors: On Bettie's trip to NYC we see historically accurate Greyhound buses, most likely the 'Silverside' model built in 1948. The problem is the scene when her bus enters the terminal in New York. The bus is distinctly a General Motors GMC PD 4106 model, which didn't enter service until 1964.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »

OK Kids, here's a couple for you:

Off topic:

What was Roy Roger's sidekick's Jeep's name?

On topic:

Anyone know what torque and LH rotation have to do with GMC coaches?

First one with the correct answer to both questions wins a free, expired transit transfer. . .   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 02:55:58 PM »

OK Kids, here's a couple for you:

Off topic:

What was Roy Roger's sidekick's Jeep's name?

On topic:

Anyone know what torque and LH rotation have to do with GMC coaches?

First one with the correct answer to both questions wins a free, expired transit transfer. . .   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Nellybelle - Pat brady

I dunno, something to do with the V-Drive

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dallas

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 05:10:44 AM »

Not much trivia right now, just a few questions for you to ponder throughout the day:

# The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.
# Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
# A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
# The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
# A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
# Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
# If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
# Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
# How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
# Do they sterilize the needles for lethal injections?
# Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
# Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?
# A bus station is where a bus stops
A train station is where a train stops
On my desk I have a work station.....
# Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
# One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
# Atheism is a nonprophet organization.
# The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
# I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
# If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
# If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
# If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?
# I must always remember that I am unique... Just like everyone else.
# I think everyone has a photographic memory: its just that some of us are out of film
# I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
# I don't have a solution but I admire your problem.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 05:38:37 AM »

My favorite movie horse, John Wayne's mount in 'True Grit'.  His name was Bo and one of my favorite lines in the movie (which I nearly have memorized) is, "Dammit Bo, that's the only time you ever gave me a reason to cuss ya!"  This after one of Ned Pepper's gang shot Bo and he went down on Rooster's leg.  They just don't write movies like this anymore...

(Ned Pepper, Mexican Bob, and the Parmalee brothers meet Rooster Cogburn blocking the road.)

Rooster: Where's the girl, Ned?
Ned: She was in wonderful health when last I saw her. I can't answer for her now.
Rooster: You'll answer for her now! Where is she?
La Boeuf: (from far off, in outlaw camp) Rooster, make a run for it! I've got Mattie! Chaney too!
Ned: Well, Rooster, will you give us the road? I have business elsewhere.
Rooster: Farrell, you and your brother stand clear. I've got no interest in you today. Stand clear and you won't get hurt.
Harold: Cock-a-doodle-doo! (other outlaws laugh)
Ned: What's your intention, Rooster? You think one on four is a dog-fall?
Rooster: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hanged at Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!
Rooster: Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!

It's a shame "The Duke" didn't live long enough to be president.  However, I think we did alright with Ronald Reagan!

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »

Don't know why GM created the V drive that required a left hand engine (then again why did GM create the Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac 215 cu in aluminum V-8, Corvair, Vega, 4.1 Cadillac engine, Cadillac 8/6/4, Chevrolet small block 400, Oldsmobile 5.7 Diesel, ToroFlo Diesel?).  On the V drive if you run the angle drive with the gear coming off the opposite side of the drive gear, you can use a right handed engine-as in the ZF angle drive, and Voith angle drive.  GM just has to do things differently.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dallas

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 05:29:29 PM »

Since there are many of us here that partake of the barley brew, I thought I'd throw out a little bit of Trivia about: BEER Grin BEER Shocked BEER Cry[/i][/b]

In Michigan it is NOT illegal to sell beer on Sunday, you just have to wait until 12:00 noon.

In texas it is illegal to have sex with a fish, in florida it is illegal to get a fish drunk, and n.carolina thought both laws were good so in nc it is illegal to have sex with a drunk fish.

To 'fall off the wagon' does not refer to drunkeness. It actually references sobriety. 'Up on the wagon' refers to drunkeness from the days of beer wagons and true (drunk drivers:)).   [Source: another website, History Channel]

In the movie, The Shawshank Redemption, when all of the prisoners are on the roof drinking beer, notice the containers. Their drinking bottles of beer. The movie was set in the 30s. Beer wasn't bottled but instead canned in the 1930s.

It is legal to drink beer in Wisconsin after 9:00 P.M. You cannot purchase beer in grocery stores after 9:00 P.M. but keeping in the true beer drinking state that we are, you may purchase beer at the local drive thru liquor store until 12:00 A.M., or if you are really thirsty, you can go to the local bar and drink until closing ..Drink Responsibly!!!!

The worlds strongest beer is 'Samuel Adams' Triple Bock, which has reached 17% alcohol by volume. To obtain this level, however, they had to use a champagne yeast.

In Japan, Beer is available in soda machines, at train stations and on the street. There seems to be no age restrictions to who can buy it.

American beer is predominately made from rice. That is why it tastes so light compared to foriegn beers. This is purely an American invention to increase profits as they hoped a lighter beer would also draw women to purchase.

In the 30's there was a brewer's strike. All the brewers refused to work. Back then sales were centered around your brewery and you had to keep all the local pubs and bars stocked. A certain St Louis brewery was worried about losing customers so they put the assistant brewers in charge. Back then assistants were nothing more than glorified peons and really knew little of making beer. They would make a batch and it would be bad so they would dump it and try again. They dumped so many batches that the gutters ran with beer. They finally came up with a recipe that was usable and it was shipped out to the local pubs. It had come to be known by the locals as 'gutter beer'. When the strike ended, the owners did not want to throw out all the barrels of the remaining beer as it had already cost then too much with the lost batches. So they figured that if they gave it a good name and marketed it right they could sell it. Today you and I know this beer as Michaloeb.   

The pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. Beer was a staple on long voyages for a variety of reasons. After the long crossing of the ocean, supplies were spent. They had planned to follow the east coast down to find a strait but were out of beer at the first land sighting and refused to go farther. The first structure they built was a common house with a brewery inside it. Back then even children drank beer.

If we were to up-turn the Millennium Dome at Greenwich, London, it would take 3.8 billion half-liters of beer to fill it up.   [Source: Useless Infomaster site]

Did you know that in Michigan it is illegal to sell or drink beer on Sunday.

Root Beer was origionally called Root Tea, however the name was changed to Root Beer to get more people to take interest in it. 

Beer is an essential source of B complex vitamins. Water contains no vitamins.   [Source: Labels on water bottles and boxes of beer extract vitamin pills]

In the Czech Republic, beer is cheaper than Coke. A half litre at the local pub costs just 30 cents (10.50 CZK) while a half litre of Coke costs 85 cents (30 CZK). Beer is a little more expensive than club soda (which costs 29 cents, or 10 CZK, for a half litre).   [Source: The Adria pub in Brandys nad Labem]
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: