Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 11:46:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Licensing a bus in Texas  (Read 3502 times)
kwood

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »

How hard is it to retitle a bus in Texas.  I currently have my bus licensed in Washington but I am moving next week.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kevin
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:59:11 PM »

It's been a long time since my bus was titled in Texas.
Here is what I recall from years back.
The coach has to be weighed at a certified weight scale also the VIN number on your out of state title must match the VIN number on the coach and the coach has to be inspected by a Texas trooper to make sure the VIN number matches the title.
Texas goes by coach weight for the cost of the Texas tag and title.
Also the coach must be safety inspected at a state inspection station don't let them do a commercial vehicle inspection do the standard vehicle inspection.
Hope this helps.
jlv
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »

You are now required to have a out of state inspection done cost from 125 to 250 bucks then they give you a decal on the windshield stating it is ok for safety inspection take the bill of sale, title, inspection records and insurance with you and they are going to charge you 4% sales tax  and depending on the county smog testing may be required

good luck
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:18:21 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »

Texas seriously charges sales tax when you move a vehicle that you own and have already paid all relevant taxes on in another state to Texas?  Really? 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

They sure do Brian and they are not the only state here that does that sucks doesn't it

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:47:35 PM »

When did Texas start that one? I had ours done when we moved here in 2006, just had to have the coach weighed, proper paperwork and pay the tag and sticker fee and that's it. Of course I did this in Anson TX.

One other thought. Is your coach titled as a motorhome or bus?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:58:25 PM by Dreamscape » Logged

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »

I just did mine last month. It came from Tennessee. there was nothing to it. I got insurance. took it to the local inspection place. I paid $14 for the inspection. they did not drive it. just looked at lights, wipers,tires and horn. No smog testing on old diesels. They have a form to fill out for out of state vehicle. Make sure they have the form before the inspection. I took that form to the tax office with insurance card. I told them it was a motorhome. I said a ridiculous low price for what I paid for it and they asked me what I thought it weighs. I told them 20,000#. Mine is an 83 so it is not in their books of value. I paid the $250 and got my tags and last week my new Texas title was in the mail.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »

Some one let you slide Eddie 17 counties have smog testing and you need the V1-30-A decal  before you proceed. Kwood check out the Tx web site and it will answer your questions for the county you live in.

Good luck from a native Texan

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 07:11:25 PM »

Here in Brazoria county is just like Harris county. Diesel does not get tested until 07. Gas engines get it unless 25yrs or older. The sticker is just a plain inspection sticker. The same with my motorcycle. $14 is all it is. Now Gas is like $40. It is the same test everywhere. Call any jiffy lube here and ask them what all they will look for to give you your sticker. That form they fill out is to verify your Vin and gross weight. What they write must match your title when you take it to the tax office.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »

Well you did get lucky by telling them 20,000lbs anything over 26,000 gross is a different deal I am surprised they didn't ask for a certified weight ticket and a bill of sale.
He can check the Tx web and have all the right answers

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »

I agree on the 20,000. That was my main worry was having to get it checked. I do not know what it would of changed but I do know the tax rate goes by weight. My old S&S cost more to register than the bus.
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, guys.  I will let you know how it goes when I go through the process in a couple weeks.

Kevin
cody

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »

Michigan has a layered system for registering and determining the cost of the plates, if a bus is older than, I think 1984, it is based on weight, if it's newer, the cost is based on the value, because mine is an 1981 I had to pay based on weight which was proving to be costly so I went the route for historical plates, they base the plates on the age, if a bus in michigan is 26 years old or older the plates are 30 dollars and good for 10 years, they try to place restrictions on their use but the terms are so liberal that I fell within the guidelines easily.  Possibly texas may have a system structured in a simular way?
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »

You didn't answer Dreamscape's question.  If it is titled as a motorhome, it shouldn't be too hard.  If it is still a bus you better read this:

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/233/6371.html

If it is over 26k lbs you will have to get a class B license.  It does not have to be commercial (if titled as a motorhome)  I've been there and done all that. 

David
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »

Kwood, I checked with my granddaughter who works at DMV in Lampasas she said they have done away with the pre out of state inspection because stations were charging all different prices, but the kicker now is you pay 6.25% not 4% sales tax and a 90 dollar new resident fee.
She said if all possible bring it in titled as a motorhome will make it a lot easier it is now a 2 page form and you can be charged another 2.5% for emissions if registered as a bus, you can also buy antique tags if your bus is old enough 35 dollars for 5 years and you need insurance only when using the bus with the antique tags. 

good luck

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: