Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:16:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Licensing a bus in Texas  (Read 3636 times)
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »

Thanks for the update.  My bus is a 1979 so I don't know if it is old enough for an antique.  It is licensed as a motorhome.  For the 6.25%, what do they base the value on?  I paid $10 for it six years ago.  I now see them for sale for less.

Thanks,

Kevin
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 05:22:43 AM »

It is old enough for antique tags. I am really not sure you will have to pay a sales tax on something you already own. Mine is an 83 and to old for their book of value. If asked say $100. As far as antique tags you might want to look into them but they did not seem to be a great deal when I did. If i remember right you pay the extra for the tag but still your yearly registration.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 07:58:42 AM »

Kevin, if I remember correctly, I paid the sales tax based on what I paid for the bus (PD4107, from 1968), based on the bill of sale.  I'd purchased it in New Hampshire (no sales tax, and no title law), so I also had to have it safety inspected, weighed, and titled (as a motorhome).  I did need a certified weight certificate, and I made sure to take everything out, drain water tanks, etc. to bring it in under 26000 lbs.  They took the weight and added 100 pounds, to get the registered weight.  I have a CDL, so that was no big deal, but eventually I want my wife to be able to drive it.  

Call the county tax office of the county you're moving to, and find out just what you need.  Here, the county handles all the paperwork.  I tried the State, the State website, and had no luck.  I walked into the county tax office and they walked me through the process, gave me everything I needed before I picked up the coach (including the form to have a police officer inspect and certify the VIN, we had a local cop in New Hampshire come over to do it, and had to explain what it was and where to find it).    

I moved here in 1986, and if I recall right, they credited me for the car sales tax I'd paid out of state, and only charged me the difference (if I'd paid 5% when I bought the car, I paid the extra 1.5 to bring it to 6.5%).  

I did not investigate antique tags.  However, I've read that some states limit you to a certain distance, travel to/from car shows, etc.  Also, I'd wonder if use as a motorhome (converted away from the original configuration) would create a problem.  Even in the greater Dallas area, the only annual inspection we need is a safety (lights/brakes) inspection, costs about $18.00.  

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 08:18:17 AM »

If I have time while running errands, I may be able to stop by our county tax office and see what they say.  So, questions ...

Is the bus currently registered in Washington State, (meaning you'll have 30 days to reregister here -- again, is this a permanent move?)
Is it already converted?
Is it registered and titled as a motorhome?
Year, type, approximate weight, approximate purchase price, and do you have a bill of sale?
What does your Washington registration and title say?

Arthur

1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

Thanks for the help, Arthur!

In  answer to your questions:

1.  Currently licensed in Washington, and this is a permanent move.
2.  Bus is already converted.
3.  Bus is registered and titled as a motorhome.
4.  It is a 1979 MCI MC9, approx weight empty is 16,000 lb, I paid $10,000 in 2005 and I do have the bill of sale.  I believe the sales tax when I purchased it was about 9%.

Regards,

Kevin
lily

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »

I just transferred the title on my shortie skoolie bus (under 26K lb) from a private party in Alabama to myself in Texas last month. It went like this:

First I took it to a safety inspection at the Jiffy Lube I know. My bus is a diesel so no emissions test. He made sure I had insurance, and that my brakes, horn, and all my lights worked and other basic stuff like that. He gave me a Green Sheet (important!) and the window sticker.

Then I went to the county tax office, because thats where they do it here. The old title said RV but in Texas that means Motor Home. I had to have the Green Sheet, proof of insurance, a weight slip (I went to a CAT scale and paid $9), the title, fill out a form that says how much I paid, and a picture of the inside and outside. The second time I went back I made sure to call it a Motor Home, not a bus, and the woman didnt ask to look at the pictures she just wanted all the paper work and a dollar amount that was roughly 11% of what I paid for the bus, then handed me plates and a window sticker.   

Good luck!
Lily

~ Not All Who Wander Are Lost ~
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »

Great, thanks for the process.  Hate that 11% fee though.

Kevin
lily

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 05:32:54 AM »

Great, thanks for the process.  Hate that 11% fee though.

Kevin
I am sure it was tax value + fees, it just happened to come to that amount.

Lily

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 07:41:34 AM »

All depends on the county Kwood like they say on TV Texas is a different world but you will pay the 90 dollar new resident fee.

good luck and enjoy Texas lot's to see and do in that state best BBQ and seafood in the world
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:46:19 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 07:53:20 AM »

Lily's experience matches what I remember of our experience.  Your weight sounds low to me, but you'll have to have it weighed - just try to do it with empty tanks, get off the bus, shave as much weight as you can.  Try to bring it in under 25,800 lbs (they add 100 lbs for the registration weight).  That'll keep you under the CDL 26,000 pound limit.  Also, the registration fee (annual plates) is based on weight. 

She mentioned one important element -- proof of insurance.  Have to show it to get inspected, to get registered, etc.  Having pictures is a good idea.  Now that she mentioned it, I do remember bringing pictures when I registered.   

With her recent knowledge, I'd go with her answer --- but still call the county tax office of the county you're going to.  Kind of like changing diapers ----- nobody likes surprises.  You could also ask them about antique plates, and any limitations on vehicle usage that comes along with them --- if you're so inclined.

Arthur

1968 PD-4107

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 07:59:26 AM »

A guy on the board here johns4104s runs the antique plates on his MCI 9 in Texas I don't think Texas limits the mileage shoot him a pm he can answer your questions about the antique tags

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »

New Residents

New residents are required to do the following within 30 days of moving to Texas:

* Get a vehicle inspection
    * Register and title their vehicle

New residents must have their vehicles pass inspection before having it registered and titled. After having it inspected, owners should take the following to their county tax office:

* inspection certification,
    * proof of liability insurance,
    * the vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old,
    * an original out-of-state title, proof of registration, proof of sales tax payment or current foreign/military ownership document,
    * completed Form VTR 130-U, and
    * the following fees:
          o registration fee,
          o title application fee of $28 or $33, depending on the county, and
          o new resident tax of $90.

Additional fees may also be due at the time of registration. For more information, contact your county tax office. For information about the new resident tax, contact the Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and non-resident, full-time students attending a Texas college or university are not required title or register their vehicles in Texas.

Driver License

New residents are required to get a Texas driver license within 90 days of moving to Texas.

For more information, read our FAQs or Put Texas in your corner®.
lily

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »

* completed Form VTR 130-U

That form is just a statement of value. In my case I put down what I paid for the bus.

Lily

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 07:28:41 AM »

I moved here in 1986, and don't remember whether there was a new resident fee then.  Assuming you're registering multiple vehicles, you might make sure you only have to pay this once.  Again, a call to the county tax office should clarify how to do this.

Lily's comment makes sense, what was paid for the bus.  Just be sure you don't say "priceless", that'd really increase the tax burden. 

Arthur

1968 PD-4107

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »

You actually have weighed your MC-9 and it weighs 16,000 lbs?  That's about 5 tons lighter than my MC-5 weighs!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: