Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 11:20:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rt 70 in Mo and Ks  (Read 1805 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:40:11 AM »

Planing on going from Pa to Co in a couple days. Any ideas along Rt 70 in Mo or Ks for stops, Things to see, State parks, Rustic areas. We are not real big on tourist stuff, looking for nice camping, bike trails, hiking trails. I see some National forest areas in Mo close by but Ks looks vacant?

Rick, Changing plans not planning on Yellowstone now.

Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »

Tom,

Do you mean Interstate 70?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »

There really isn't much in the Kansas area along I 70 all the way to Denver. But you can make good time and plenty of travel centers for refueling and such.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »

Yes, Interstate 70.
Yes, I know Ks is boring.
Still looking for ideas in Mo and Ks.  Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
John316

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »

Tom,

I am thinking....but not coming up with much of anything. Kansas isn't bad to drive through (better then Nebraska Cheesy Grin Cheesy ....sorry Scott).

We have enjoyed the Katy trail in Mo....http://www.bikekatytrail.com/boonville.asp

If you want to spend a day in Downtown KC, we have been to the WWI museum http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new/index_community.aspx That was pretty incredible. There is also the typical "downtown" activities there too.

That is all I can come up with right now (a very short list Wink). I will keep thinking....

God bless,

John

Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »

Tom
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »

Tom
The east Kansas City RV park is very nice for staying but be aware it is really about 15-20 miles east of DT KC  so alot plenty of travel time if you are going into DT.
In Kansas, the Wakeeney KOA is very clean, well run and lots of level pull thrus to stop, has swimming pool and hot tub. It is about 5 hours west of KC. It is about 6-7 hours to Denver from here.
There are all kinds of things to see along the way so give us some ideas of what you like and we may be able to help alittle more.

Rob
91 Prevost Lemirage XL
Missouri
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »

Thanks John.
Rob, Looking for hiking, biking, waterfalls, anything to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Not much for cities and traffic.        Thanks  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
John316

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 04:48:38 AM »

Tom,

I agree with you, I prefer God's creation any day.

The problem is, I keep drawing a blank with outdoor activities that you can do. Katy trail is just about it. Out west, farther, I believe that there is some plains trails. However, that would be hot, so I don't think I would recommend it.

God bless,

John

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »

try Lake of the Ozarks...beautiful biking walking area...similar to Smokies just not as tall....Mark Twain rec area great mountain biking area..both in Missouri .Have Ben to both areas first class experience...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »

Tom, first check out each state's park, tourism, and possibly conservation websites.  Both have state park a locator map. You can click the parks along the way to see the activities. 

Depending on your time, MO has a lot of fun outdoor activities, south of I70 not so much close.  The previously mentioned Katy Trail starts in St. Charles and goes about 2/3s across the state.  But the only two places where it is 'closely' follows I70 is at the start in St. Charles and just west of St. Louis and west of Columbia.  I70 in KS is close to a lot of outdoor activities.  Check out Milford and Wilson parks.     

If you like wine, there are wineries from St. Charles to Rocheport.  Rocheport is a popular place on the Katy trail as it is close to I70 and it has a number of places to have bite while on the trail.     

Arrow Rock, MO has several historical buildings dating back to the early to mid 1800s.  I recommend sticking around for the plays at the theater.

If you're into religious history, there are 3 different versions of the Mormon religion within a bike ride of each other, just east of Kansas City in Independence MO.  It is fun to visit them one after the other. 

In addition to the WWI Museum John3 recommended in KC, the Steamboat Arabia Museum is worth the trouble to stop.  The Arabia wrecked in the 1850's.  It was recovered circa 1990 with cargo basically intact.  If you ever wanted to see the actual styles, tools and utensils from the 1800's this is the place to go.  I would call them for bus friendly directions.  While the museum is physically close to 70, maybe a 1/2 mile, it is in the old river section of the city with some narrow roads and one way access.

KS is tourist heaven for small delights once you scratch the surface.  Through the years KS has been home to a bevy of interesting characters.  One example, The Garden of Eden in Lucas KS a few miles north of 70, is a total hoot.  The Garden is all in, on, and around one house and you have to see it to believe it. 

You can ride you bikes around Salina and Abilene KS to a variety of attractions, western boot hill gun fights, Greyhound (dog) racing museum, Independent Telephone museum etc. 

For me the only boring part of the drive is from Colby KS to Denver CO.

Mike   

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
John316

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »

Okay, I guess Mike got it Shocked. He was right, I was thinking about the bigger stuff. The steamboat Arabia museum is okay, just not stunning. But then again, you all said you wanted more outdoors stuff.

Lake of the Ozarks is great, but this isn't a very good time to visit. Everybody else it too right now (it is about an hour and half to two hours off of the I70, depending on where you go).

We liked the Katy trail. We stayed in Boonville, and cycled out of there two days. We just rode for a period of time, and then turned around and went back.

Anyways have fun.

God bless,

John

Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »

Thanks Guys. Planning on heading out in the morning.  Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »

Tom,
I wish you a great trip!  Enjoy your bus, your time with your family, and God's great creation.  If you make it up to Minneapolis let me know and I'll leave a light on for you.
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: