Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 19, 2017, 06:32:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea Eagle or other inflatable boats?  (Read 2011 times)
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »

Has anyone been in one of the Sea Eagle boats sold by the advertiser in the magazine? Just curious about ride and quality of boat. I have been looking at them and the higher end Zodiac 15'. I want to store it in the bus to take with us on camping trips instead of hooking up a boat on a trailer.

Anyone have a quality inflatable for sale?

Thanks,
Bryan
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:33:31 PM by bryanhes » Logged
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:06 PM »

Bryan:

These are supposedly the real deal: http://www.porta-bote.com/

A small group of us were going to try writing some articles for for local publication. We went to one of the local outdoor shows in Pittsburgh to see one up close, but couldn't get one for testing. It looked sturdy enough for small puttering trips in calm waters for fishing etc. They do fold as flat as advertised. Our project didn't work out though. WE folded due to other obligations.

Just another thought: Around here during the summer, I can usually just rent a canoe paddle-wheel,or row boat for a day if I'm within 10 miles of decent water. That's why I never bothered buying one. I spend $50-60.00/year for 3-5 trips or weekends in whatever interests me. The alternative is $500-600.00 for a single boat that I'd have to own for at least 10 years and no flexibility.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:18:54 AM »

When you get an inflatable quality counts. That said you can always try and find a used one if it has been kept out of the sun. I had alot of tenders over the years and the hard transom is a must, the longer the faster and dryer, they dont row worth a lick, take alot of abuse within reason (if you get a quality one). I saw a couple of the fold flat units they seemed ok, but they were either folded flat or deployed all the time! Makes me think it was a pain to fold and unfold. They dont like sand inside! With an inflatable  a good foot pump gets them right up, they are still bulky and heavy when folded and you have the oars (never depend on the motor, and you sometimes need extra manuvering ability) and floorboards, bailer, gas tank, engine, cushions/life jackets,lights,etc to store. I am working on putting the sailing dingy up on the trailor myself. Good luck. If its a pain to deploy you wont do it often

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »

I would actually use it at the local lakes as well as traveling. Which is one of the reasons I was looking for one about 15'. Also want a hard floor. It looks like a few may be good for what I want. The Achilles, Zodiac and Avon all seem to be pretty nice and well constructed. I would love to have one of the Zodiac F470. They are what nave and special forces use but they are to pricey (3-5K for used)  Roll Eyes
I looked at the porta-bote. The length of it looks like that would be a problem and not real sure I would be confident in it from the looks of the way it is assembled. Looks a little flimsy but I have not seen one in person. As for gear I should be able to fit everything together in about a 3' x 4' area stacked in the baggage compartment with no problem.

Bryan
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:48:10 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 08:58:25 AM »

We used to have a SeaEagle canoe.  We used it quite a bit for a while.  It was easy to paddle but could get blown by winds.  I always found putting it away (deflating, drying, folding) more of an effort than set up.  The one thing you have to be real careful of is leaving one in the sun when not in water.  If the air expansion in the chambers stretches the material too far, it is seriously weakened.  The one we had had several separate air chambers.  We once ripped a huge hole in the bottom chamber while paddling a river in Mississippi, and were able to still paddle a couple of miles though rather slowly.  We were able to repair it later by sewing up the 12" tear and putting a patch over it.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:03:15 AM »

Years ago, we had a 10' Avon inflatable with a hard floor. It was easy to store and inflate with the supplied foot pump.  We used to scuba dive out of it.  I could also store it by hanging it from the ceiling in our dive shop if I did not want to deflate it.  We occasionally carried it inflated on top of our car.  We now travel with 4 kayaks on top of our toad.  Although they are 1 person per boat, they are easy to launch, store, and maintain.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I know nothing about the blow up air boats, a good quality one will probably be no problem but someone with experience with this could be more help.  I do have information on this below though:

I just sold a (10 ft. porta-bote) that did and still does everything it advertises.  I cannot tell you how pleased I was with it in the water.  Here are the positives about having one, look at the photos at the above website posted by PADoug.
Positives:
1) 10 ft. boat holds 3 people, sorta of cramped with fishing gear, but very good for just two people, now this is the 10 foot bote.

2) Boat flows in the water real easy with just oars, goes about 20 Mph with 5 hp. Nissan outboard.  This size engine not necessary at all, this boat would work real good also with smaller lighter ob motor in my views.  My motor weighed 58 lbs, and so did the protabote.

3) This will not fit in your bays, too long, I was going to mount mine on side of bus using brackets.

4) This boat has a sailing feature you can purchase to have even more fun & also a sun canopy for HV protection from the sun and I recommend getting this over anything else you order for sun-cancer prevention.

5) Boat has a set of mountable wheels you can use to transport boat to water easily.

6) Boat does fold down to 4 inches thick as it says, never has leaked on me when being used in water.  This allows for mounting on side of bus etc. or on top of your toad.

7) One person can unfold & assemble the portabote in about 10-15 minutes tops after practicing maybe 5-6 times perhaps less. (Oh, do not attempt to assemble for the first time in front of an audience , don't ask)!!after that everyone will be amazed when you set up in front of them a (sinkless, quality fast easy running boat) to fish or just ride in.  

Cool As stated above, this boat is virtually unsinkable, will not turn over if you stand or lean over to one side of boat.

9) Instead of using the 5 hp ob motor, after maybe 5 times struggling with the motor to the boat I purchased a 55 lb. thrust electric tolling motor.  Good choice there, this pushed the boat quite fast, great for trolling all day long.  You still have the struggle of a good battery, but I used a small moving dolling for that.  

10) Boat bottom is quiet for fishing when moving equipment etc. so you do not scare fish too much. The bottom is very comfortable on feet because of material it is made of, when water is under it the bottom surface feels similar to a very hard water bed.

11) Enough good cannot be said about this boat to me as I had this boat for 4 years.

Now, the reason for selling which is also the NEGATIVES of this portabote which may not be a problem for some of you, with my health now as it is, this is the problems for me:

1) The 10 ft. boat also weighs about 58 lbs., but is kind of bulky to handle overhead to put on side of bus alone or on your toad.  Maybe not so bad on the toad though.  I just had my second serious back surgery and that put the kaboosh to a lot of heavy lifting.

2) The OB motor also weighs 58 lbs, + 2 1/2 gallon fuel tank, the motor is very heavy to go down a sharp embankment or carry very far to put in boat, then back up hill etc. to get to your transport vehicle, or bus.

3) There are many parts to this boat that take up baggage room in your bus that you need to have for the boat to be fully assembled.  I am including photos of all the parts broken down when I advertised selling of this boat.  Oh, another owner of a 10 year old portabote bought it from me after 2 days advertisement on CL.  The reason he wanted this boat, he had a 12 footer which was harder to transport alone, he did not have the wheels for his boat that mine in the photo has. He was a real happy camper, no question on the price as he knows the advantage of this great boat.  The parts needed to assemble and store in your bus or toad are:
All the parts needed for full boat assembly are:
a) Three seats for sitting

b) Transome for OB motor or electric trolling motor

c) Wheels for transporting from transportation vehicle to water and back.

d) I installed two comfortable seats mounted on oribinal boat seats for back rest and more comfort when using boat, this takes up volume

e) Boat anchor

f) Collapsable oars

g) Boat motor, (gas or electric)

h) Fuel tank for motor and tool pouch if needed, batter for electric motor.

i) Safety jackets or floating seats for safety and to be legal.
Plus all your fishing gear needed for how many people you bring with you. 

To be honest, I cannot think of anything really negative about this boat which I miss having anymore.  I have since purchased a Kayak, (thanks Jack for putting me on this) as I can transport this kayak easier as I normally go fishing etc. alone.  I can store everything I need inside of the kayak and do not have to worry about motors, battery, fuel tanks etc. any more.  As I said, anyone not having back problems similar to me this is a great boat to have.

I hope this information helps in your decision, if not, go to (youtube), type in (portabote) in the search engine at youtube and there is 132 videos to convince you about this boat.  I believe everyone of them is positive, and I assure you TRUE!!

Gary

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:03:48 AM by Gary LaBombard » Logged

Gary
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:20 AM »

I saw a ort-a-boat strapped to the side of an S&S the other day!
I have heard nothing but good things about this boat!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »

In the back of one of my 'Fantastic 4' comics from the '60's, they advertised a blow up boat. And some X-Ray specs and a cool flying saucer thingy.
I'll take some of what he's having  Grin

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:56 PM »

On another note, I lived on a lake (clear lake) and was always out and about on it.  One day i was actually surprized/impressed by a pair of inflatable "rubber duckies" that were FLYING across the lake.   I caught up with them atthe no wake zone, they both had 45's on the back and when we took off I clocked them at about 55mph (very very fast for something that small)  Luckily I was on a yamaha 1200 and would do 63 so they didn't get to hurt my feelings.

But 50mph+ is seriously fast for something that small.  The little boats were barely making contact with the water.  I would not mind having one.

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: