Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:50:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What size jack?  (Read 2246 times)
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 05:45:40 AM »

Here is some pictures of my manual.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 06:33:56 AM »

You also want a pad to put under the jack.  I have a couple of one foot squares of 3/4" plywood.  You definitely need it on dirt or gravel, and even on blacktop on a hot Florida day.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »

I use a couple of 1'x2' x1/2" steel plates for under my jacks.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:30 AM »

I've blown out the seals on a 10 ton jack while jacking up the rear axle of a school bus to swap tires with my dump truck.

That is why I like the 20 ton jack - less stress on the seals for the same weight.

The air over hydraulic is a very nice work saver - IF you have compressed air available.  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
it_mike

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »

I've blown out the seals on a 10 ton jack while jacking up the rear axle of a school bus to swap tires with my dump truck.

That's what I was worried about.  I'll go with the 20T (on sale at Northern Tool...yeah!)

One of these days, someone will have to show me how to tie into the air system.

1980 TMC Crusader II
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 07:54:08 AM »

It's a bus - it always has or needs compressed air!   Cheesy

I carry a generator and a compressor anyway, in  case I feel the need for a stealthy getaway I can air up the bus without running the engine.  I put quick connects and ball valves in two places - one on the ping tank where I put air into the system through the air dryer (always stop the bus on a compressor charge cycle so the purge valve is closed) and one on the accessory tank drain for taking air out of the bus system. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »

It's a bus - it always has or needs compressed air!   Cheesy

I don't know so much about the always has part, but I can confirm the always needs . . .  Grin

When I have compressed air, I don't notice wether or not I need it - it is when I don't have it is when I seem to really need it the most . . .  Grin  Grin  Grin

One of my air over hyd jacks is either-or & can be used manually. The other one is air only - useless without air.  They use copious amounts of air too.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: