Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 09:09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking valve doesn't pop up  (Read 3726 times)
it_mike

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 07:31:24 AM »

My manual copy is handily missing that page, it starts chapter 4 at page 4-3.  I always wondered what was on page one and two...

I've been using the online manuals, I'll have to see if they're missing those pages.

1980 TMC Crusader II
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 07:41:22 AM »

My manual copy is handily missing that page, it starts chapter 4 at page 4-3.  I always wondered what was on page one and two...

I've been using the online manuals, I'll have to see if they're missing those pages.

is that online manual only for the 9, or is there one for the 8?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
it_mike

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 08:24:06 AM »

Sorry, only mc9

1980 TMC Crusader II
it_mike

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:31:43 AM »

Quote from: buswarrior
In a DD3, the trouble is, the parking control valve is supplied by the isolated parking tank, which doesn't have a gauge to show you what's going on.

You can't get the parking control to pop on a DD3 without the parking tank pressure dropping far enough

OK, now I'm confused again. If I use pumping action on the brake pedal to drop the main system pressure, will this cause my valve to pop-up?  Brian,  are yours DD3 or spring brakes?

1980 TMC Crusader II
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »

I guess if I kept fanning the brakes, engine off, then eventually I would have lowered the pressure in the parking brake tank enough for the spring to activate the push/pull valve.

It doesn't matter -- he was using the wrong procedure, watching for the pop-up at a particular gauge reading.  Your gauge and tank system aren't set up to match the procedure, and most examiners really don't know anything that isn't in their manuals.  Some schools, truck and bus companies specifically ask for the good ones by name when setting up an inspection, and will even send their trucks from one end of the state to the other for inspections because it's cheaper for them to go all that way than to have trucks fail inspections that they should have passed.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »

On your bus and my bus, both with DD3 systems of similar vintage, the P/P valve handle will ONLY pop up on it's own when the pressure in BOTH the dry service tank and the parking brake tank are below 40 psi simultaneously.  If EITHER is above 40 psi, it will not pop up automatically.

You probably could do it by fanning the brake pedal, but there is a lot going on there, what with the inversion valve switching things and the shuttle valve switching between the dry service tank and the parking brake tank.  I know that I fanned my brakes down to 10 psi on the gauge and it did not pop up, because I still had pressure in the parking brake tank at that point. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »

And remember, it is the Inspector's responsibility to have his/her proper procedures in order.

How did they inspect all the older coaches?

Get your tie rod fixed and back you politely go!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »

If you think you have problems with inspectors not using the correct procedures, you should try owning an MCI in Australia where DD3 brakes are just about unheard of. Every year I have to get out the manual and go through the system with the inspectors - otherwise I WILL get a defect because they only know about normal spring brakes

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: