Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 02:14:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance Problems  (Read 2213 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »

I am having a hard time getting insurance on the new to me bus in order to drive it to where i need to park it to do the conversion.  It is still a seated coach and I can't seem to find any one that will insure it as an rv because of the seats, and they won't insure it commercially because i don't have a cdl.  any suggestions?  am i stuck?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:21:06 AM »

Can you hire someone with a CDL to move it for you and then register as non-op until you get the seats out and are completed with doing whatever your state needs in order to register it as a motorhome? As for insurance once it is registered as a motorhome, I highly recommend Progressive

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »

Read your policy I never had OK insurance that did not cover you for 3 days when buying a vehicle, you will have a good debate here about the CDL thing you are the one that is insured not the vehicle

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »

You may have to make a few trips but try to title it as a motorhome at your local dmv, then get the insurance , then license it. just a thought. They may have to inspect it as to the vehicle id #s if you bought it out of state however. Hope it's not to far away.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »

You may have to make a few trips but try to title it as a motorhome at your local dmv, then get the insurance , then license it. just a thought. They may have to inspect it as to the vehicle id #s if you bought it out of state however. Hope it's not to far away.

for monatana i only have to have a LEO sign a form and then i send it in the mail to register as an rv.  Problem is it would take 6-8 weeks to get the title and i need to get the bus off the guys property and get started working on it.  i only have a little over 2 months before i have to get back on the road again.  surely people have bought buses and drove them home before.  theres got to be a way, somewhere, some how.  stuck in a catch 22.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »

success with GMAC.  i read somewhere online that someone had called and was told no the first time, but got a different answer the next time they called.  so i called them back and got the answer i wanted.  I told them i wanted rv insurance.  they asked the make and model, i told them mci, they said "bus conversion?" and i said "uhuh".  they never asked what was or was not inside the bus, and i didn't tell.  the seats will be gone in a few days anyway.  once the bus reaches destination it won't be moved untill most of the conversion is done anyway.  $143 for 6 mo.

now i just need to get road side for the trip, just in case.  i have been told either good sam or coach net.  either one better than the other?  any other suggestions?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »

Take the hour you need to take the seats out of the track.  If you get stopped you do not want the capability of more than 15 passengers including the driver.  If the seats are still in the bus but pushed to the rear they are not passenger capable.  I wouldn't want to argue with the state trouper about your intention to fill or not fill a bus full of installed seats. 

Just my 2 cents.........

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »

"Quote" I just need to get road side for the trip, just in case.  i have been told either good sam or coach net. "Quote"

With CoachNet when you call them you will speak with someone that knows about conversions.  Good Sam is fine but when you call them you get the press 1 now or 2 now and etc.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »

That was one reason I suggested Progressive, their roadside is AWESOME!!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »

Take the hour you need to take the seats out of the track.  If you get stopped you do not want the capability of more than 15 passengers including the driver.  If the seats are still in the bus but pushed to the rear they are not passenger capable.  I wouldn't want to argue with the state trouper about your intention to fill or not fill a bus full of installed seats. 

Just my 2 cents.........

Frank

umm, only an hour?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »

I'm sure he meant an hour per pair of seats.  Wink  Get Progressive for the insurance. If they ask tell them the seats are gone. Get a driver with a CDL & get her home. So you had a little white lie about exactly when the seats disappeared. Roll Eyes

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

Even if you do find insurance with seats attached you still have the issue of legally needing a CDL with a seated vehicle with over 15 seats.  You very well could get home without being stopped, but you might also be ordered off the road in the middle of nowhere until a driver with a CDL shows up.  A real jerk of a cop could even make you have it towed off the road if you don't find a driver right away.  (Roadside assistance won't cover this unless you lie about it.)

Someone else might know this part of the law better, but a bus with seats that looks commercial and is still titled as bus will probably have to stop at weigh stations.  You might get waved over for a random document check or even a full inspection.  No CDL could spell real trouble.

My seats came out quite easily, but other buses might be more of a chore.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »

Don't think you will get stopped if your not acting like a fool....that said..I understand if your not driving for pay (comerical) you don't have to have a Cdl..I have heard of people taking a porta pody and a grill and a sleeping bag to say it is a RV..but key is don't draw attention .

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »

Remove all decals, a roll of duct tape and masking paper from Wal/Mart cover about 2/3rds of the windows from the inside don't stop at weigh stations and drive on my friend.
The missed mix 5 dollar a gal from HD or Lowes also works good but you have to scrape it off which is not hard

good luck
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:35:47 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »

I didn't run into any problems driving my bus 8 hours home the day I bought it. I got the vin number and called Progressive and insured it as a Bus Conversion RV first. I then bought a $3.00 Temp tag from the local Virginia Tag office which was good for 3 days. It wasn't actually a tag, it was just a piece of paper I laid on the dash. All I had to show was the title and proof of Insurance and took maybe 5 minutes. I then headed back south passing several Weigh Stations along I-85 never stopping. After I got the bus home, I went to the NC DMV and purchased a "Private Bus" tag for $28.00 even though the insurance card clearly stated "Bus Conversion RV". I asked about needing CDL's and was told that as long as I didn't use the bus as a truck for hauling or carrying more than I believe 9 passengers then I didn't need one. They did tell me though if I got caught carrying more than 9 passengers or moving furniture, lumber, or any kind of freight that I would be fined for improper tag and no CDL. They also told me it didn't matter how many seats I had or didn't have in the bus as long as it was tittled "Private Bus"...I just could NOT fill them with passengers. I do know that most every DMV agent will give a different story as to the law depending on which one you talk to. I made a point to write the agents name down incase something ever came up. I may have just been lucky...but in the end I got what I wanted anyways which was to get my bus moved from Virginia to NC.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:42:47 PM by jlink » Logged

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: