Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 01:43:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance Problems  (Read 2172 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »

I'm sure he meant an hour per pair of seats.  Wink  Get Progressive for the insurance. If they ask tell them the seats are gone. Get a driver with a CDL & get her home. So you had a little white lie about exactly when the seats disappeared. Roll Eyes

i tried progressive.  they would only insure it if the title already said "rv" on it.  i tried to call a second time and see if i could get a different answer from someone else, but they had me in the computer and saw what the outcome was from the first phone call, so there was no getting past it.

in the end, GMAC did what i needed.  I think i may just remove the first few rows of seats and stack them on top of the other seats so it's obvious it's not being used.  as far as stopping at weigh stations, that shouldn't be an issue.  even buses that are running charter are not required to stop i don't think.  so don't act stupid and theres no reason to stop or get stopped.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »

This was in '97..Called my insurance guy for liability only, Bought the bus, got a temp plate from the state it was titled in..(good for 30 days if I remember correctly), filled it up and drove it home...didn't look back..1850 miles-seven states...  one radiator hose clamp ( broke and fell off or was not there to begin with ) some water and kept going..

I drove carefully and paid attention - slept at truck stops a few times and enjoyed the whole thing....

Didn't give it a second thought about a cdl because 'it was going to be a motorhome'. It had seats at the time.  Would do it again tommorrow.   Smiley

Moving targets are harder to hit !  Shocked

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »

>>as far as stopping at weigh stations, that shouldn't be an issue.  even buses that are running charter are not required to stop i don't think.  so don't act stupid and theres no reason to stop or get stopped.<<

I would be very very careful about that. The weigh stations on I-70 and I-270 in the DC/Baltimore areas are clearly marked "passenger buses" included. They also have officers waiting to pounce on vehicles who disregard them. I know, because my convoy of 7 U-Haul trucks got stopped southbound just after passing the I-95 weigh station at Susquehanna. Fortunately my boss was following in the Suburban. That could have been a very very bad bad day...

If it costs the company anything, he wouldn't say.

I will note that most weigh stations seem to close after dark. But then you could be inviting different kinds of trouble (Roadside assistance) if your maiden voyage is at night.

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »

Drove my Eagle from Carmi Ill.on the parkway through Mo. straight thru to Las Vegas only stopping in Amarillo to swap out a fuel pump and top off, weigh stations no problem-o,trucks only. Before I returned home, I had the temp cert laminated and stuck it on the reversed NV plate I took off the Vette I drove out there, I felt nothing on the rear would just invite curiosity and warrant a stop. The staties, seeing the temp would just pass on by, somthing to think about.Also bring every hand tool you own plus a multi meter just in case, It'll help us in assisting you do some basic diagnosis and repair should something go tits up! Wink (hopefully not). good luck and watch that temperature gauge Grin

Van
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:16:52 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »

If you are concerned about insurance as was stated earlier call GMAC. I have about the same deal on mine $160.00 every 6 months and just told them it was a conversion in progress. It still says bus on my insurance card. They said when it was converted and titled as a motorhome I could add full coverage. I have removed all but 8 places to sit and have a dinette booth, bed & microwave.

HTH,
Bryan
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: