Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:19:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Far do You Travel in a Day in the Bus?  (Read 4315 times)
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:49:53 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
cody

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »

Normally I travel only about 250 miles in a day at about 55 to 60 MPH, I find that at the 250 mark I'm starting to cripple up and loose feeling in anything below my hat so I generally pull over and top off the tank and discuss what we should do which oven times involves backing into a spot over out of the way at the truckstop and enjoying the scenery.  Sometimes I'll add another 50 miles or so to the day but thats my normal routine, I'm not only old, I'm defunct as well as poor.
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »

Well, I too have considered the facts on my coach and have reaped much savings by staying at 62 MPH as a top speed as well. I am about to make a run to Las Vegas and I have decided that I will drive 55 on this trip and get a little more savings yet. I simply can afford to go more often if I take my time. I also find that it is more relaxing at 55 rather than 70. My MPG results are not nearly as impressive as yours but still worth my attention just the same. Of course the down side is the occasional driver that gets irritated and feels the need to flip the finger as they pass by. I accept all fingers and have been know to smile and reciprocate, being the usual good sport that I am. But really I see that as a form of entertainment and a study of human psychology.

I will travel anywhere from 300 to 1000 miles in a day. I tend to favor 500 as a max.

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »

I have done 40 miles in one day lol. I dont like to drive in winds if I dont have to, and if it is blowing I will pull over. I like to plan my trips where I have plenty of leisure time and dont like to look at my trips as a "destination" but rather as an "adventure" I savor the driving and sight seeing along the way. If I see something that grabs my attention I will pull over. I drive slow, around 55. I have come to believe the finger waving is just done by mindless people who are in too much of a hurry with getting life over, and it is their way of saying "hi"  Grin Since it is their way, I try to reciprocate the good feelings when the mood strikes so as that I dont appear rude

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

Ok just the opposite--75mph for 10 to 12 hrs (with stops)..Don't throw things at me....Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »

I have to side with the rest old you old farts.  I am simply not as good a driver as I once was.  I knew that a few years ago when I got stopped for speeding.  I just couldn't believe that I let a cop come up on me and I didn't know he was there until the lights came on.

I was upset 1) because I didn't realize how fast I was going, and 2) because I wasn't aware of every other vehicle around me as I once would have been.

Getting old is a bitch!

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »

I like to drive about 63 or so --- less than the 65 and a little over the 60 mark. Because I have a relief driver who will give me a break of an hour or two during the day once or twice --- I will drive well into the evening if it is road that I have seen before. If I am on new road I like to do that during the daylight hours.  So my answer on distance is "that depends" but on speed it is always the same unless I get into some of the eastern states that have 55 mph limits.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »

I just love reading the style with which people drive their vehicular spouse.

Reading about the number of drivers who use 55MPH as the benchmark, I remember trying that in my latest coach, only to find that 55 runs the engine just over 1700, which is a shift point, so every slight incline, and 'Buck' would shift down, and then back up.

So I decided that between 62 and 65 is the best balance for both fuel and comfort, so for my day, I choose to drive no more than 1500 miles (on autopilot), or, with a driver, 500 - 600 is what works for me.

(I was kidding about the autopilot - the guy in the Winnebago proved that does not work) - Coffee anyone?

Have a great 600.

Keith
PCC
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:36:14 PM by PCC » Logged

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »

Bob I promise to not throw anything at ya, so long as you keep that 75 mph... in the right lane so the rest of us can get by Wink Grin Grin. On an A-B run I will put in at the 1 K, haven't had the pleasure of doing the leisure trip, but hope to some day  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:38:50 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »

I am with Robert on this one. Last trip, coming home, we drove fourteen and a half hours (max speed limit of course). Out west is even better.

However, if I was retired....that might be different. Probably would slow down then.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »

First, I have to say our driving style has changed drastically since retiring, since we do not have to be home to be back at work.  Since retirement, we rarely drive more than 200-250 miles per day.  We do not get on the road until around 9-10 AM and are usually off the road by 3 PM. We tend to stay on non interstate hiways and try to run about 60-62 MPH. We have found that we see so much more from non interstate hiways and usually almost have the road to ourselves, since most of the traffic is on the interstates. Driving between 9 AM and 3 PM also avoids most rush hour traffic, although we usually try to avoid cities anyway.  Just "our style" YMMV  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »

We usually drive around 250-300, unless there is a destination that is 50 or so higher. I don't like to push it anymore, 65 is a good speed for us. Dreamscape seems to like that speed and the mileage is tolerable, 8 mpg is the average.

I really like to stop every 100 miles and stretch my legs, let the dogs do their thing and I'll always IR the tires, hubs and engine compartment looking for anything that doesn't look good.

On my last long trip I made it from Tucson AZ to Abilene TX, man that was a long drive, 13 hours. Not gonna do that again!

When we retire next year, hopefully diesel will not break the bank, we'll do 100 a day tops. I won't care how long it takes then!

We're looking forward to a long trip to the Bus Trifecta late Sep., early Oct. 1300 miles round trip. Wooo Hooo! I'll have to change my driving habits for that one. Roll Eyes

I Love to Drive our Eagle!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »

My longest was 14 hours.  I aint old but that wore me to a frazzle.  We were in 15 degree temps and it gave me trouble with the bus.  I was white knuckled From Fort Worth, Texas to 10 minutes shy of the Kansas border.  I side with the old farts and I don't want to drive for extended periods.  I dang sure don't like speeding.  63 on an open freeway is all I need.  Why speed anyway it costs more and certainly lowers your safety abilities.  Low and and slow is how I roll.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »

I have as most of you know a somewhat of a modern type coach although it IS a 92. It's electronic and doesn't have THAT many miles on it and I try to keep the maintenance to very little  bu TRYING to stay on top of it. I LIKE to run in the neighborhood of 65-68 for a couple reasons. One is to keep the temps down around normal (if there is such a thing) and Two, to hopefully have a wee bit more control of the bus than it does of me IF i were to have a problem with a tire or even another vehicle. I would like to think that at that speed window that my fuel mileage would be good, but I am to the point that what I get, is ALL I get regardless of other circumstances. If I had to worry about 6mpg over 8mpg, I would have never built a bus. That's just cutting it down to where it becomes a job rather than a fun hobby! I have recently traveled with others and had to run 75+ just to keep within cb ear distance but not too often! We usually stay within sight of the others in case there is a problem.

Here's another quick story! Just the other day an older fella approached me and asked me how fast I like to run? I stated the same above speeds and his comment to me was, "well you will never travel with me because I like to run 80 or better on the interstates"!

Oh and surprising enough, I believe he is in the lower 80 year old bracket and in a motor home, not a bus!

Think I'll just run MY speeds with MY bus and get there when I get there at whatever cost! Smiley

Forgot what the thread was about... sorry, but I think 200- 250 per day is a good figure!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »

Usually 250 to 500. It depends on how bad I need to be where I am going. I like to drive about 63 to 65 mph but I will drive the speed limit if I have to.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: