Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 02:07:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Far do You Travel in a Day in the Bus?  (Read 4263 times)
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:49:53 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
cody

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »

Normally I travel only about 250 miles in a day at about 55 to 60 MPH, I find that at the 250 mark I'm starting to cripple up and loose feeling in anything below my hat so I generally pull over and top off the tank and discuss what we should do which oven times involves backing into a spot over out of the way at the truckstop and enjoying the scenery.  Sometimes I'll add another 50 miles or so to the day but thats my normal routine, I'm not only old, I'm defunct as well as poor.
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »

Well, I too have considered the facts on my coach and have reaped much savings by staying at 62 MPH as a top speed as well. I am about to make a run to Las Vegas and I have decided that I will drive 55 on this trip and get a little more savings yet. I simply can afford to go more often if I take my time. I also find that it is more relaxing at 55 rather than 70. My MPG results are not nearly as impressive as yours but still worth my attention just the same. Of course the down side is the occasional driver that gets irritated and feels the need to flip the finger as they pass by. I accept all fingers and have been know to smile and reciprocate, being the usual good sport that I am. But really I see that as a form of entertainment and a study of human psychology.

I will travel anywhere from 300 to 1000 miles in a day. I tend to favor 500 as a max.

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »

I have done 40 miles in one day lol. I dont like to drive in winds if I dont have to, and if it is blowing I will pull over. I like to plan my trips where I have plenty of leisure time and dont like to look at my trips as a "destination" but rather as an "adventure" I savor the driving and sight seeing along the way. If I see something that grabs my attention I will pull over. I drive slow, around 55. I have come to believe the finger waving is just done by mindless people who are in too much of a hurry with getting life over, and it is their way of saying "hi"  Grin Since it is their way, I try to reciprocate the good feelings when the mood strikes so as that I dont appear rude

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

Ok just the opposite--75mph for 10 to 12 hrs (with stops)..Don't throw things at me....Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »

I have to side with the rest old you old farts.  I am simply not as good a driver as I once was.  I knew that a few years ago when I got stopped for speeding.  I just couldn't believe that I let a cop come up on me and I didn't know he was there until the lights came on.

I was upset 1) because I didn't realize how fast I was going, and 2) because I wasn't aware of every other vehicle around me as I once would have been.

Getting old is a bitch!

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »

I like to drive about 63 or so --- less than the 65 and a little over the 60 mark. Because I have a relief driver who will give me a break of an hour or two during the day once or twice --- I will drive well into the evening if it is road that I have seen before. If I am on new road I like to do that during the daylight hours.  So my answer on distance is "that depends" but on speed it is always the same unless I get into some of the eastern states that have 55 mph limits.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »

I just love reading the style with which people drive their vehicular spouse.

Reading about the number of drivers who use 55MPH as the benchmark, I remember trying that in my latest coach, only to find that 55 runs the engine just over 1700, which is a shift point, so every slight incline, and 'Buck' would shift down, and then back up.

So I decided that between 62 and 65 is the best balance for both fuel and comfort, so for my day, I choose to drive no more than 1500 miles (on autopilot), or, with a driver, 500 - 600 is what works for me.

(I was kidding about the autopilot - the guy in the Winnebago proved that does not work) - Coffee anyone?

Have a great 600.

Keith
PCC
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:36:14 PM by PCC » Logged

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »

Bob I promise to not throw anything at ya, so long as you keep that 75 mph... in the right lane so the rest of us can get by Wink Grin Grin. On an A-B run I will put in at the 1 K, haven't had the pleasure of doing the leisure trip, but hope to some day  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:38:50 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »

I am with Robert on this one. Last trip, coming home, we drove fourteen and a half hours (max speed limit of course). Out west is even better.

However, if I was retired....that might be different. Probably would slow down then.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »

First, I have to say our driving style has changed drastically since retiring, since we do not have to be home to be back at work.  Since retirement, we rarely drive more than 200-250 miles per day.  We do not get on the road until around 9-10 AM and are usually off the road by 3 PM. We tend to stay on non interstate hiways and try to run about 60-62 MPH. We have found that we see so much more from non interstate hiways and usually almost have the road to ourselves, since most of the traffic is on the interstates. Driving between 9 AM and 3 PM also avoids most rush hour traffic, although we usually try to avoid cities anyway.  Just "our style" YMMV  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »

We usually drive around 250-300, unless there is a destination that is 50 or so higher. I don't like to push it anymore, 65 is a good speed for us. Dreamscape seems to like that speed and the mileage is tolerable, 8 mpg is the average.

I really like to stop every 100 miles and stretch my legs, let the dogs do their thing and I'll always IR the tires, hubs and engine compartment looking for anything that doesn't look good.

On my last long trip I made it from Tucson AZ to Abilene TX, man that was a long drive, 13 hours. Not gonna do that again!

When we retire next year, hopefully diesel will not break the bank, we'll do 100 a day tops. I won't care how long it takes then!

We're looking forward to a long trip to the Bus Trifecta late Sep., early Oct. 1300 miles round trip. Wooo Hooo! I'll have to change my driving habits for that one. Roll Eyes

I Love to Drive our Eagle!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »

My longest was 14 hours.  I aint old but that wore me to a frazzle.  We were in 15 degree temps and it gave me trouble with the bus.  I was white knuckled From Fort Worth, Texas to 10 minutes shy of the Kansas border.  I side with the old farts and I don't want to drive for extended periods.  I dang sure don't like speeding.  63 on an open freeway is all I need.  Why speed anyway it costs more and certainly lowers your safety abilities.  Low and and slow is how I roll.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »

I have as most of you know a somewhat of a modern type coach although it IS a 92. It's electronic and doesn't have THAT many miles on it and I try to keep the maintenance to very little  bu TRYING to stay on top of it. I LIKE to run in the neighborhood of 65-68 for a couple reasons. One is to keep the temps down around normal (if there is such a thing) and Two, to hopefully have a wee bit more control of the bus than it does of me IF i were to have a problem with a tire or even another vehicle. I would like to think that at that speed window that my fuel mileage would be good, but I am to the point that what I get, is ALL I get regardless of other circumstances. If I had to worry about 6mpg over 8mpg, I would have never built a bus. That's just cutting it down to where it becomes a job rather than a fun hobby! I have recently traveled with others and had to run 75+ just to keep within cb ear distance but not too often! We usually stay within sight of the others in case there is a problem.

Here's another quick story! Just the other day an older fella approached me and asked me how fast I like to run? I stated the same above speeds and his comment to me was, "well you will never travel with me because I like to run 80 or better on the interstates"!

Oh and surprising enough, I believe he is in the lower 80 year old bracket and in a motor home, not a bus!

Think I'll just run MY speeds with MY bus and get there when I get there at whatever cost! Smiley

Forgot what the thread was about... sorry, but I think 200- 250 per day is a good figure!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »

Usually 250 to 500. It depends on how bad I need to be where I am going. I like to drive about 63 to 65 mph but I will drive the speed limit if I have to.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »

How about 1,400+ miles a day at 64 to 65 MPH?  Seriously, I will do that many miles or more in a day with 5 or 6 drivers.  Driving shifts range from 2 hours to maybe 6 hours depending on how long the driver wants to go.  We might stop for as long as 2 hours a day between fuel and other things.

We're all working stiffs with a destination in mind.  We're all in our 30s and 40s except our old guy who is in his early 60s and our best driver.  (He drove commercially for a few years up until retiring about 18 months ago.)

64 MPH on the GPS puts us right at 1,500 RPM which is supposed to be a good RPM for a Series 60.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:02:37 PM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »

My bus just seems to feel comfortable around 65 unless we are getting a good cross wind and she heats up. Still faster than most of the s&s's getting yanked by a power choke! On a lot of occasions I've covered 750 - 800 miles in a day on my bike. It's a lot easier in the bus! Without a doubt when I reach the golden years I will probably scale back how far I want to cover in a day but at this time in my life getting away is a year long planning ordeal and we gotta cover some ground. Someday it will slow down for me but until something happens to my health insurance costs I gotta keep my nose to the grindstone.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 05:33:20 PM »

I usually cruise about 63 mph, mainly because it is my TOP speed!  I actually believe it is a good speed, plenty fast for state highways, although it is a little slow for the interstate.  As far as distance driven in a day all of my trips have been less than 200 miles.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »

I have been known to run a lot of miles in a day - even more than you claimed Van - but no more.  We just shut down for the day with 375 km on the clock.  We didn't get rolling until close to 10:00 - the fuse was burned out on the wipers when we did get going so we shut down for maybe 15 minutes while I diagnosed and fixed that.  Then we sat in line for fuel.  Then we stopped at a pretty spot for lunch.  Then we stopped at the top of Roger's Pass just because we always stop at the top of Roger's Pass.  When we finally stopped for the night it turned out that the campground has a huge hot pool complex attached to it so we parked by the hot pools and poached ourselves for an hour before setting up camp.  We don't like long days any more.  Just remembered - we stopped for a nap somewhere too but I can't remember where that was - it was a long nap.

As for speed, I run just under 100 KM which is somewhere slightly under 60 MPH.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »

Last year or so I have been averaging 0 miles, although sometimes I reposition it is the yard, but then I go as far forward as reversed so end up averaging 0.  When I had the bus on the road I liked the options....pounding in the miles or slacking.  I was surprised at how easy and relaxing my old '04 was to drive once I got used to it, and with good coffee (I always travel with good coffee, my bus has it's own Pavoni Lever) I can spend the day and 500 passes easily.  I also like having dinner then driving a few more hours while the rest sleep, then finding a little nook somewhere and waking up to a surprise.  I still fantasize about running it down to mexico, non stop through the states using 3 drivers and hot swapping, stopping only for diesel, like Belfert was saying, this one of the advantages of a bus for me, when you need to you can go and go and go.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »

One thing I won't do is hot swap drivers.  We always pull off on a exit or in a rest area to change drivers.  Some of the guys smoke so this is their opportunity to take a cig break outside.

It would probably be easy enough to swap drivers on the fly, but I like to play it safe.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »

The first, last, and only time I have ever been talked into a "hot swap", I was sleeping in the back of the bus when I was awakened to take over.

I did as I was told, and got pulled over for speeding.

Try telling the ociffer that it weren't you !!

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »

I like to drive about 70 and push 400 miles a day; I just wish it was done, so I could quit going up and down the driveway.

Ray D
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »

Funny how most vehicles have a 'sweet spot' on the throttle.  Mine likes to go about 65 to 67.  I think it feels good for the engine and me.

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:23 AM »

One thing I won't do is hot swap drivers.  We always pull off on a exit or in a rest area to change drivers.  Some of the guys smoke so this is their opportunity to take a cig break outside.

It would probably be easy enough to swap drivers on the fly, but I like to play it safe.

Didn't mean to imply you hot swapped, just that you made long hard runs.  I guess that sentence was  a long run. 
FWIW I have yet to hot swap on the bus and if I did it would be at a reduced speed.  Used to do it with vans though....stupid pet tricks to help the hours go by.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »

Bob, you have to work on your conversion skills.  100 KM is 62.1 MPH or .08 Mach Cheesy

We set the cruise on 68 on the interstate.  That is faster than Swift trucks, but most of the other vehicles have to pass us Grin.

When fuel got so expensive a few years ago (paid over $5.00 on one tank), we started playing with speed using our trusty Silverleaf and the "rolling MPG" feature as well as a special odometer I set up for the exercise. 

I am geared such that 68 MPH is about 1450 RPM.  When I tried 63, I got almost the same MPG over a pretty significant number of miles and lots of varied conditions.  The rolling MPG also showed about the same for a flat road condition.  So, it would appear our sweet spot is about 68 MPG

We are often on the run, trying to get to the next show or just plain running behind.  The 68 MPH seems to get us there safe and sound.

What I am careful about is driving tired.  I messed up a few months ago, fell asleep,  and went off the road.  Did a ton of damage to our car.

Many years ago, I was driving a company van (Pat was with me) and I got stopped by a cop thinking I was drunk.  He had been tailing me for a while and said I was all over the road.  I had been driving too long.  Studies show that being tired behind the wheel results in driving impairment about equal to driving while impaired.

If I get tired, I stop and take a 15 minute nap - does wonders!

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 06:05:47 AM »

jim, trusty silver leaf? I wouldnt go that far to trust that thing for much of anything other than to say I have it and that would be giving it honors to say the least!
Honestly, I was really hoping for better results but from what I have seen so far, it is just a conversation piece!
No anybody that would want to buy it?

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »

Ace your experience with the Silverleaf seems to be polar opposite of most reports I have read and heard.  It probably works better with newer electronic engines like the Series 60 Jim has.

I haven't had a chance to test my Silverleaf yet besides idling the engine, but I bet it will work as well as Jim's.  I know the engine mileage is not accurate, but that is a DDEC thing, not the Silverleaf's fault.

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »

Brian that may be true of what said about the silverleaf working better with the 60 series over my old tired 8-92 but if that was the case than silverleaf should eliminate all those engines it doesn't work on from their set-up when you first get it. Why didnt someone say, it wont work on 2 strokes like the pro driver states?
Wouldnt that be like saying peanut butter is made without peanuts but its still peanut butter?
Everyone that I travel with says, they would just throw it away and use the pro link. These people have been around buses all their lives and you know what? With all due respect to Jim, they dont seem to have the issues he has or ever have had. I think sometimes monitoring something too much tends to make one have issues. When I turn it off, I dont worry as much. I merely wanted it to track milage and distance travelled. The distance i can get from my gps so it looks like i am back to calculating the old way!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 09:47:54 AM »

Quote from: Ace
Here's another quick story! Just the other day an older fella approached me and asked me how fast I like to run? I stated the same above speeds and his comment to me was, "well you will never travel with me because I like to run 80 or better on the interstates"!

Oh and surprising enough, I believe he is in the lower 80 year old bracket and in a motor home, not a bus!

Think I'll just run MY speeds with MY bus and get there when I get there at whatever cost! Smiley

Forgot what the thread was about... sorry, but I think 200- 250 per day is a good figure!

Oh yes, but ya gotta love 'm still! Wink

And I believe you are correct again. (if memory serves me correct he told me he was 84 @ Bussin' 2010 in Arcadia!

And lastly running what you and yer bus are comfortable at is the only way to go.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »

Silver Leaf or Pro Driver doesn't work good on the older DDEC engines both can be made to work on the  
DDEC II from the DDEC III up they work fine ? what does the Silver Leaf have to do with Dallas travel plans.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »

Probably nothing at all, so just make sure when YOU post a reply from here on, it should stay related to the topic! I mean, lets face it, we NEVER have thread drift here do we?

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »

Till I'm tired or we get there. No hurry, 60 or so, less if required. Stops for fuel, food, sight seeing, or a nap are common. Mpg runs about 9.1 on the flats or 6.9 in the passes with toad.
    Sorry if I drifted toward topic. I'll work on that at the next rest area...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 06:38:34 AM »

When it was just me ferrying the shell around without the wife and critters about between 700--800 Miles per day.  However, none of those trips were fun aside from the joy of driving the bus.  Wink   After the bus was loaded with furnishings, wife and dogs, we try and average 200--300 miles a day.   I found I'm the happiest when it's about four hours behind the wheel at somewhere around 63--70 mph..  That way we have lots of time for detours and play time. 

We tried different schemes and this one works the best for us.  We can leave just before check-out time and arrive at our next stop while it's still light and aren't too beat to get out and explore. 

Sorry for the pun but.... YMMV

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 08:17:55 AM »

I run around 60 - 65 on reasonably flat roads.  That's about the same speed that trucks are speed-governed to in Ontario, so I usually just find one going my speed and sit a few hundred yards behind and watch the scenery go by.  Hills I just go up  as fast as I can, 5 miles of 6% and I am in second sitting on the governor at 30 mph.  My top speed is about 72 mph. 

I do most of my trip driving on Interstates.  I am usually going to a place, the point of the trip is at the place, not the two or three days in between.  I am happy with 8 to 10 hours in those conditions, and I always have a firm stopping place in mind, with a reservation or I know there will be a good spot.  The longest day I did recently was 750 miles, 14 hours on the day.  That was in my pickup towing my race trailer.  That was a very long day and I ain't gonna do it again.  Swapping drivers doesn't  count, btw.  It's a Ontario right of passage to head to Florida for vacation, non-stop.  We leave home around 6 pm after work, and we have lunch on A1A around Daytona.  Two or three drivers and you are good  to go!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
RottenBob
Chapel Hill Bob - 4106

PD4196-968

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 05:33:24 AM »

Four hundred seems like a long day, so preferably less. Problem is that we are working people so we don't have unlimited blocks of time for our travels.  I generally set the cruise on 62 mph and except on very steep hills, that is where it stays. I have always tried to stay between the bunches of cars on the highway; they always seem to cluster up and leave a sweet spot in between - at 62 I seem to stay in that sweet spot for a long time.

Bob and Flora
1962 PD4106-968
Chapel Hill, NC

http://www.bobs4106.blogspot.com/
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »

We just returned frm a church trip to MS. My o5 eagle is at 2100 rpm at 70 mph on flat ground. The engine is the old relaible 871n.
21-2300 is its sweet spot. Let the rpms drop and you crawl up the next hill! This was the first trip that I could enjoy after replacing the old hf64 steering with a tas box. It felt very under control. Biggest thing I do is keep my distance as stopping quick is not an option. We drove 13 hrs to SC stopping for fuel and lunch. The genset belt was slipping limiting us to one air in 95 deg. heat. I had had enough when we got back!! Cooler would help but 13 hrs was a little much. I am 48 and in exellent health. but I was about to the limit. I think 5-8 hrs. would be my ideal time. I like 65 but the extra 5 helps me on the hills. Where is that 60 series when you need it!!
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »

Preference is 150-250 miles per day. Have done as little 90 miles in a day. Natchez to Vicksburg MS.
Then again it was Wall, SD to Maine in less than three days.
We frequently head south right after Christmas. Gotta' make Jack's bash at the Turner Ag Center. So the first day is maybe 7 hrs to NY, first rest area in NY on I 84. Then either NC  rest area if on  I95 or somewhere around Rock Hill if on I 77. Then Florida welcome center.
I'm not fond of the long days in the saddle but only with a bus is it doable in some comfort. The hostess brings me coffee and cookies! Cheesy

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: