Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 09:20:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Far do You Travel in a Day in the Bus?  (Read 4374 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »

How about 1,400+ miles a day at 64 to 65 MPH?  Seriously, I will do that many miles or more in a day with 5 or 6 drivers.  Driving shifts range from 2 hours to maybe 6 hours depending on how long the driver wants to go.  We might stop for as long as 2 hours a day between fuel and other things.

We're all working stiffs with a destination in mind.  We're all in our 30s and 40s except our old guy who is in his early 60s and our best driver.  (He drove commercially for a few years up until retiring about 18 months ago.)

64 MPH on the GPS puts us right at 1,500 RPM which is supposed to be a good RPM for a Series 60.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:02:37 PM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »

My bus just seems to feel comfortable around 65 unless we are getting a good cross wind and she heats up. Still faster than most of the s&s's getting yanked by a power choke! On a lot of occasions I've covered 750 - 800 miles in a day on my bike. It's a lot easier in the bus! Without a doubt when I reach the golden years I will probably scale back how far I want to cover in a day but at this time in my life getting away is a year long planning ordeal and we gotta cover some ground. Someday it will slow down for me but until something happens to my health insurance costs I gotta keep my nose to the grindstone.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 05:33:20 PM »

I usually cruise about 63 mph, mainly because it is my TOP speed!  I actually believe it is a good speed, plenty fast for state highways, although it is a little slow for the interstate.  As far as distance driven in a day all of my trips have been less than 200 miles.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »

I have been known to run a lot of miles in a day - even more than you claimed Van - but no more.  We just shut down for the day with 375 km on the clock.  We didn't get rolling until close to 10:00 - the fuse was burned out on the wipers when we did get going so we shut down for maybe 15 minutes while I diagnosed and fixed that.  Then we sat in line for fuel.  Then we stopped at a pretty spot for lunch.  Then we stopped at the top of Roger's Pass just because we always stop at the top of Roger's Pass.  When we finally stopped for the night it turned out that the campground has a huge hot pool complex attached to it so we parked by the hot pools and poached ourselves for an hour before setting up camp.  We don't like long days any more.  Just remembered - we stopped for a nap somewhere too but I can't remember where that was - it was a long nap.

As for speed, I run just under 100 KM which is somewhere slightly under 60 MPH.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »

Last year or so I have been averaging 0 miles, although sometimes I reposition it is the yard, but then I go as far forward as reversed so end up averaging 0.  When I had the bus on the road I liked the options....pounding in the miles or slacking.  I was surprised at how easy and relaxing my old '04 was to drive once I got used to it, and with good coffee (I always travel with good coffee, my bus has it's own Pavoni Lever) I can spend the day and 500 passes easily.  I also like having dinner then driving a few more hours while the rest sleep, then finding a little nook somewhere and waking up to a surprise.  I still fantasize about running it down to mexico, non stop through the states using 3 drivers and hot swapping, stopping only for diesel, like Belfert was saying, this one of the advantages of a bus for me, when you need to you can go and go and go.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »

One thing I won't do is hot swap drivers.  We always pull off on a exit or in a rest area to change drivers.  Some of the guys smoke so this is their opportunity to take a cig break outside.

It would probably be easy enough to swap drivers on the fly, but I like to play it safe.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »

The first, last, and only time I have ever been talked into a "hot swap", I was sleeping in the back of the bus when I was awakened to take over.

I did as I was told, and got pulled over for speeding.

Try telling the ociffer that it weren't you !!

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »

I like to drive about 70 and push 400 miles a day; I just wish it was done, so I could quit going up and down the driveway.

Ray D
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »

Funny how most vehicles have a 'sweet spot' on the throttle.  Mine likes to go about 65 to 67.  I think it feels good for the engine and me.

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:23 AM »

One thing I won't do is hot swap drivers.  We always pull off on a exit or in a rest area to change drivers.  Some of the guys smoke so this is their opportunity to take a cig break outside.

It would probably be easy enough to swap drivers on the fly, but I like to play it safe.

Didn't mean to imply you hot swapped, just that you made long hard runs.  I guess that sentence was  a long run. 
FWIW I have yet to hot swap on the bus and if I did it would be at a reduced speed.  Used to do it with vans though....stupid pet tricks to help the hours go by.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »

Bob, you have to work on your conversion skills.  100 KM is 62.1 MPH or .08 Mach Cheesy

We set the cruise on 68 on the interstate.  That is faster than Swift trucks, but most of the other vehicles have to pass us Grin.

When fuel got so expensive a few years ago (paid over $5.00 on one tank), we started playing with speed using our trusty Silverleaf and the "rolling MPG" feature as well as a special odometer I set up for the exercise. 

I am geared such that 68 MPH is about 1450 RPM.  When I tried 63, I got almost the same MPG over a pretty significant number of miles and lots of varied conditions.  The rolling MPG also showed about the same for a flat road condition.  So, it would appear our sweet spot is about 68 MPG

We are often on the run, trying to get to the next show or just plain running behind.  The 68 MPH seems to get us there safe and sound.

What I am careful about is driving tired.  I messed up a few months ago, fell asleep,  and went off the road.  Did a ton of damage to our car.

Many years ago, I was driving a company van (Pat was with me) and I got stopped by a cop thinking I was drunk.  He had been tailing me for a while and said I was all over the road.  I had been driving too long.  Studies show that being tired behind the wheel results in driving impairment about equal to driving while impaired.

If I get tired, I stop and take a 15 minute nap - does wonders!

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 06:05:47 AM »

jim, trusty silver leaf? I wouldnt go that far to trust that thing for much of anything other than to say I have it and that would be giving it honors to say the least!
Honestly, I was really hoping for better results but from what I have seen so far, it is just a conversation piece!
No anybody that would want to buy it?

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »

Ace your experience with the Silverleaf seems to be polar opposite of most reports I have read and heard.  It probably works better with newer electronic engines like the Series 60 Jim has.

I haven't had a chance to test my Silverleaf yet besides idling the engine, but I bet it will work as well as Jim's.  I know the engine mileage is not accurate, but that is a DDEC thing, not the Silverleaf's fault.

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »

Brian that may be true of what said about the silverleaf working better with the 60 series over my old tired 8-92 but if that was the case than silverleaf should eliminate all those engines it doesn't work on from their set-up when you first get it. Why didnt someone say, it wont work on 2 strokes like the pro driver states?
Wouldnt that be like saying peanut butter is made without peanuts but its still peanut butter?
Everyone that I travel with says, they would just throw it away and use the pro link. These people have been around buses all their lives and you know what? With all due respect to Jim, they dont seem to have the issues he has or ever have had. I think sometimes monitoring something too much tends to make one have issues. When I turn it off, I dont worry as much. I merely wanted it to track milage and distance travelled. The distance i can get from my gps so it looks like i am back to calculating the old way!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 09:47:54 AM »

Quote from: Ace
Here's another quick story! Just the other day an older fella approached me and asked me how fast I like to run? I stated the same above speeds and his comment to me was, "well you will never travel with me because I like to run 80 or better on the interstates"!

Oh and surprising enough, I believe he is in the lower 80 year old bracket and in a motor home, not a bus!

Think I'll just run MY speeds with MY bus and get there when I get there at whatever cost! Smiley

Forgot what the thread was about... sorry, but I think 200- 250 per day is a good figure!

Oh yes, but ya gotta love 'm still! Wink

And I believe you are correct again. (if memory serves me correct he told me he was 84 @ Bussin' 2010 in Arcadia!

And lastly running what you and yer bus are comfortable at is the only way to go.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: