Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 08:56:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Far do You Travel in a Day in the Bus?  (Read 4410 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »

Silver Leaf or Pro Driver doesn't work good on the older DDEC engines both can be made to work on the  
DDEC II from the DDEC III up they work fine ? what does the Silver Leaf have to do with Dallas travel plans.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »

Probably nothing at all, so just make sure when YOU post a reply from here on, it should stay related to the topic! I mean, lets face it, we NEVER have thread drift here do we?

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »

Till I'm tired or we get there. No hurry, 60 or so, less if required. Stops for fuel, food, sight seeing, or a nap are common. Mpg runs about 9.1 on the flats or 6.9 in the passes with toad.
    Sorry if I drifted toward topic. I'll work on that at the next rest area...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 06:38:34 AM »

When it was just me ferrying the shell around without the wife and critters about between 700--800 Miles per day.  However, none of those trips were fun aside from the joy of driving the bus.  Wink   After the bus was loaded with furnishings, wife and dogs, we try and average 200--300 miles a day.   I found I'm the happiest when it's about four hours behind the wheel at somewhere around 63--70 mph..  That way we have lots of time for detours and play time. 

We tried different schemes and this one works the best for us.  We can leave just before check-out time and arrive at our next stop while it's still light and aren't too beat to get out and explore. 

Sorry for the pun but.... YMMV

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 08:17:55 AM »

I run around 60 - 65 on reasonably flat roads.  That's about the same speed that trucks are speed-governed to in Ontario, so I usually just find one going my speed and sit a few hundred yards behind and watch the scenery go by.  Hills I just go up  as fast as I can, 5 miles of 6% and I am in second sitting on the governor at 30 mph.  My top speed is about 72 mph. 

I do most of my trip driving on Interstates.  I am usually going to a place, the point of the trip is at the place, not the two or three days in between.  I am happy with 8 to 10 hours in those conditions, and I always have a firm stopping place in mind, with a reservation or I know there will be a good spot.  The longest day I did recently was 750 miles, 14 hours on the day.  That was in my pickup towing my race trailer.  That was a very long day and I ain't gonna do it again.  Swapping drivers doesn't  count, btw.  It's a Ontario right of passage to head to Florida for vacation, non-stop.  We leave home around 6 pm after work, and we have lunch on A1A around Daytona.  Two or three drivers and you are good  to go!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
RottenBob
Chapel Hill Bob - 4106

PD4196-968

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 05:33:24 AM »

Four hundred seems like a long day, so preferably less. Problem is that we are working people so we don't have unlimited blocks of time for our travels.  I generally set the cruise on 62 mph and except on very steep hills, that is where it stays. I have always tried to stay between the bunches of cars on the highway; they always seem to cluster up and leave a sweet spot in between - at 62 I seem to stay in that sweet spot for a long time.

Bob and Flora
1962 PD4106-968
Chapel Hill, NC

http://www.bobs4106.blogspot.com/
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »

We just returned frm a church trip to MS. My o5 eagle is at 2100 rpm at 70 mph on flat ground. The engine is the old relaible 871n.
21-2300 is its sweet spot. Let the rpms drop and you crawl up the next hill! This was the first trip that I could enjoy after replacing the old hf64 steering with a tas box. It felt very under control. Biggest thing I do is keep my distance as stopping quick is not an option. We drove 13 hrs to SC stopping for fuel and lunch. The genset belt was slipping limiting us to one air in 95 deg. heat. I had had enough when we got back!! Cooler would help but 13 hrs was a little much. I am 48 and in exellent health. but I was about to the limit. I think 5-8 hrs. would be my ideal time. I like 65 but the extra 5 helps me on the hills. Where is that 60 series when you need it!!
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »

Preference is 150-250 miles per day. Have done as little 90 miles in a day. Natchez to Vicksburg MS.
Then again it was Wall, SD to Maine in less than three days.
We frequently head south right after Christmas. Gotta' make Jack's bash at the Turner Ag Center. So the first day is maybe 7 hrs to NY, first rest area in NY on I 84. Then either NC  rest area if on  I95 or somewhere around Rock Hill if on I 77. Then Florida welcome center.
I'm not fond of the long days in the saddle but only with a bus is it doable in some comfort. The hostess brings me coffee and cookies! Cheesy

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: