Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:44:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First day of summer was not a good one....  (Read 3134 times)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

Ok got it to fit over. So I'm going your way John. Thanks.

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »

Picture of fix please

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:17 PM »

Without the poop!

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »

Try not to take such a shi&y pic this time Grin
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »

Jack looks like we have a new name for a Frenco coupling it is called a 8 dollar rubber thingy sorry JohnEd that's funny I don't care who you are.LOL you got the message across that's all that matters 

good luck
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:29:15 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

I think you mean "Fernco"

Hand Made Gifts

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »

sure did Lin I was playing with John to see if he could find it but I corrected it just for you.

good luck
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:47:48 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »

Thanks Len.  I wasn't going to say anything to "Cliffored". I thought Fernco sounded pretentious so I just got the point across. Roll Eyes

Thanks Clifford.......thanks a lot!  Harrumph! Tongue Kiss

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »

Or.,

The plastics you are joining with silcone most likely have some sort of "mold release" on them.  Remember the "purple stuff" (take note Clifford) that we use as a prep for CPVC?  Its for  the mold release "stuff". Silicone will absolutely bond to almost everything EXCEPT wax and mold release  for starters.  In the best of preps and applications the stuff seems to delaminate after time.  For you that means a leak of epic proportions even if it is a dribble.  At some time in the future.....eventually....sooner or later....bye the bye.

I didn't think this up.  Every Hi Line that I have looked at has a rubber sleeve "thingy" connecting the pipe coming out of the toilet flange to the pipe that sticks up from the tank.  The tank and pipe are never hard connected.  I always thought that was to prevent damage due to relative movement and to allow the tank to be removed.

I am so taken with them, smitten actually, I will even install them on pipes I absolutely know go nowhere and carry nothing. Huh Roll Eyes Grin

The other john

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 06:52:47 PM »

I like the rubber Poop shoot thingy connector Grin Grin, used one to connect a 3" dump hose to the factory 4" lavatory dump valve. simply amazing how easy rubber stretches in the dessert heat Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »

I always use butyl caulking to put the sewer pipes together and it lasts but you can force it apart for repairs. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »

Gents,

This is what somebody recommended to us to glue onto these type of materials. It is made by the folks that make shoe goo. https://www.hardwareworld.com/Plumbers-Goop-pGJXKNA.aspx

I was amazed, that stuff worked! It actually stuck, when people told me it wouldn't. You won't believe it until you try it. We got it at our local plumbing supply store.

And no, I have no vested interest in this product. It just worked amazingly well for me.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »

You mark my words: Somebody will complain to Mike about my using the word  "thingy" and then Mike will step in and change it to witch-a-macallit.   Angry Tongue Grin  Wanna bet?

Jordan

—Pla
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »

Ok it WILL fit over the nipple on the tank and I can get the rubber connector to work on the blade valve with a 3" 3" pipe. But I DO have to glue the 3" pipe to the knife blade connector. Just PVC glue right?

If these are Valtera or other RV-type waste valves (the black ones), they are ABS not PVC.  PVC would be white.

You want to use ABS pipe with that and ABS cement.  If for some reason you have no choice but to join PVC to ABS, you need a special cement called "transition cement."  But it's better to use ABS all the way.

FWIW, I don't think a rubber "no-hub" connector will hold on the polystyrene fitting you have on the tank.  Nothing sticks to it and nothing grips it, either.  If it were my tank, I would cut that off and have a proper NPT-threaded fitting spin-welded in.

Lastly, silicone will not adhere to polystyrene, and is almost never the right material for plumbing applications.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »

As usual, I agree with Sean in theory, but as a practical matter, it is what it is.  The tank is in place and I'm sure that cost and time play a large role here.

I would insert the 3" ABS into the styrene nipple with the goop of your choice (it wont stick, but it will make you feel better), then a couple of short sheet metal screws through both pipes, followed by the no-hub rubber boot.  Keep the screws on top where waste won't snag on them.

It's not the perfect solution but it will "work fine and last long time".

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: