Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 09:42:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water/oil temperature readings  (Read 1066 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2010, 07:45:13 PM »

All of you have me checking my gauges religously, and also checking under the bus for unusual spills, these are both good things.  On a relatively long (4 hour) flat run, I kicked my speed up to 2100 to 2150 rpms for about an hour just to see how it handled etc.  Kept an eye on my gauges.  My water temperature gauge did not get above 185 (78 degree day) but my oil temperature got 20 degrees warmer, and before this long run, had always been lower than the water temp.  I am pretty sure that 185 is okay, what about the oil temp being warmer by 20 degrees, is that okay?

Thanks

Chuckd
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »

after a while mine does the same..the truckers I ask about it said not to worry..was normal for my 8V92 under load...more knowledgeable members will chime in...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »

The faster you "mix" the oil....the more heat you generate.  I think your oil cooler should smooth that out but my opinion is worth nothing.  My engine oil will top 210, no cooler, in my Dodge 440 but it has to be in a serious pull for awhile.

You are doing the right thing about watching the gauges, though.  Have you tested your overtemp andlow oil pressure alarms and shut down?  They seem to get disabled over the years for trouble shooting and never reconnected.  There is no inedent in recorded history of a driver looking at the oil pressure gage when the pressure went to zero  fdor whatever reason.  It only gives you a warning that something is going south.

Given that you monitor your oil temp and pres you might be interested in changing over to full synthetic for a comparison.  Syn is supposed to run cooler that Dino and run longer and run slicker for efficiency....no down side except cost, and that may be over stated.  You might want to have your oil analyzed at change time and see if it is worth runnng longer or needs additives or?  Thoughts.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »

The oil temp on a 8v92 should be 200 to 235 degrees make no difference if 1200 rpm or 2150 rpm for the normal.
Check your gauge it should always be higher than the water temperature the oil cooler plays a dual role to heat and cool the oil

good luck
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:17:32 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »

thanks Clifford..reaffirms my assumption that my trucker friends told me when I ask is 230 to high..was running hard pulling trailer with car on it...seemed high to me but they ran same engines hard for 30 years....Bob.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »

Now Im confused, read in one of the post that the gauge for the oil temp was for trans oil temp not engine oil Huh

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 06:42:40 AM »

No reason to be confused they can have both and the transmission will run hotter that water temperature also

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 04:54:33 AM »

If you think about it, it's important to get the oil temp up above 215 or so, to get it to release condensation buildup.  I got that from a Valvoline engineer some years ago. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: