Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 06:10:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear garage  (Read 2763 times)
BusDane

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »

Hi Folks and greetings from Denmark

Does anybody here have any experience with building a garage at the rear of the bus? We are a group of people who have just bought a 1989 Volvo B9M-60 with a traverse diesel engine and we want a ramp at the rear and a large cargo hold. The doors at the rear must be large enough to fit a car (european size).

I did a search here that came up with nothing - is that because I used the wrong search words or is this not a thing people do in the States?

Best
BusDane
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:44:19 PM »

There  is a Eagle bus in the BCM back in 1999 0r 2000 that had a rear garage as you and he call it he was from Germany.
I saw it up close at a rally in Laughlin Nev pretty neat with a car in there.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
BusDane

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »

There  is a Eagle bus in the BCM back in 1999 0r 2000 that had a rear garage as you and he call it he was from Germany.
I saw it up close at a rally in Laughlin Nev pretty neat with a car in there.

good luck

Yeah, Denmark is close to Germany and they call it a "Heck Garage", literally meaning "Stern Garage" and so do we. But most of the designs are for bikes or ATVs because the busse/campers in this neck of the woods are smaller than yours.

Do you really only see this every ten years? I was hoping for a link to an instructive this-is-how-I-did-it picture page :-)

If rear garage is a bad expression what would you call it?

best
BusDane
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »

In the USA it's more often done with truck conversions than bus conversions. Mainly because most intercity coaches here are rear-engine, which is a huge obstacle.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »

A garage works for me but some here call it a rear hatch,maybe one of the guys can post a photo for you he had a Suzuki Samurai he drove up the ramps closed the door and off he went it was neat.

good lucks

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:26:14 PM »

I don't recall what kinda bus it was but I once saw one with a corvette coming out of the rear on ramps!

I thought "Oh how cool!" and then "How cruel, to have a vette up there instead of a Mustang!" Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »

fwiw..saw transit front end folded open (Hindged)and had ramps..parked replica cobra in there...sort of neat.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »

Quote from: robertglines1
fwiw..saw transit front end folded open (Hindged)and had ramps..parked replica cobra in there...sort of neat.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »

Rear garage...that's what I need! After considering buses, I am leaning more towards a truck conversion to simplify things
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »

On the Skoolie forum a fellow Scandinavian (actually from Norge) has raised the roof of his front-engine Blue Bird and then built a large ramp that folds up as the rear door.   He regularly takes his kinetic sculptures and other strange human-powered contraptions in this bus to events all over the western USA.   There's also other folk who have done similar conversions to take cars and motorbikes with them.

Is your Volvo mid-engine or rear-engine?

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »

I think 99% of American buses / coaches are rear-engined, which obviously makes a rear garage difficult to do. European buses are quite often mid-engined, so you see this kind of conversion much more often - in fact there's two for sale on UK eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Race-Transporter-volvo-Coach-Race-Lorry-/320549426316?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Minibuses_Buses_Coaches&hash=item4aa23c148c

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-Coach-Race-Car-Transporter-Racing-Vehicle-/230489200862?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35aa3a18de

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 10:13:20 AM »

BK,
It was a Scenicruiser that had a rear garage over the engine for a corvette.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:14:51 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
BusDane

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »

BK,
It was a Scenicruiser that had a rear garage over the engine for a corvette.

Wow, that is quite a balancing act. I wouldnīt want to be the one who drove the car up there.

Yeah, the rear-engine is in the way that is for sure.

best
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »

BusDane,
You aren't likely to see a how to article as this hasn't been done here much.

If you want to do this to your bus, you will need to get a structural engineer type to help you with the modifications. You wouldn't want all your hard work to break in half.  Roll Eyes

Good luck with this project - maybe you will be the one to post the how-to page.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
BusDane

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »

Is your Volvo mid-engine or rear-engine?

John

It is mid-engine, traverse engine, center engine. Many names for the same thing ;-)

best
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: