Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 06:24:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody have experience with "Double Coin" brand tires?  (Read 5683 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:23 PM »

A charter operator here needed some new tires and got a good quote on "Double Coin" brand tires.   None of us here at the shop had ever heard of that brand.  Anybody have any experience/knowledge of them?
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:59:05 AM »

Sure I have heard of them. The quality and performance are just as good as any other.

I know a prevo owner with a 97 Liberty that I convinced out of Michelin's who has them on the drives and he is very happy with them.

With most of us not running enough miles to wear down a set of tires before they age out who needs those overpriced brands.

Here is proof that even if you do run them bald before they age out they are still a good choice.

Thumbs up for double coin or any brand that competes with the ridiculous cost of Michelin.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:21:07 AM »

I never owned a set but do see a lot of operators here in the West running the tire brand and before you guys go off to far about Michelins they are one of the owners of Double Coin in China 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »

At this time I don't think I would want to risk my families life and welfare with tires made in China.  With the quality issues with other products coming out of China.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:31 AM »

Good grief Charley Brown

Double Coin, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Toyo etc. etc. whatever. I don't care where they are molded, I want good value at a reasonable price.

I would not put higher priced tires on my semi where I would use them up before they age out. I did construction and was off road in conditions we will never encounter in our campers and never had any issues that were any different than any other brand.

You must appreciate the fact that if I can stomach owning a bus put together in Canada the Chinese tires certainly do not bother me.

I put 1,100,000 miles on my Pete before I sold it and I do not recall any differences in tires from one brand to another accept price and there was many many sets that truck went thru during that time.

If you feel more comfortable with American made products you can also find those in a price range comparable to the Chinese brands.

If a guy feels safer with the big M and can afford the premium, God bless. I can't.

The skins I am running now are hand me downs. I make sure they have sufficiant air I keep my speed down and I do not run in the extreem heat of the afternoon.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »

"You must appreciate the fact that if I can stomach owning a bus put together in Canada "

Care to explain this comment?

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »

"Here is proof that even if you do run them bald before they age out they are still a good choice"
   And ... still waiting for the "proof "Wink

I too would like to hear also what Canadian built buses have to do with Chinese made tires  Sad

Bonne fête du Canada par la voie ! Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:18:27 AM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:49:54 AM »

You might want to review this thread http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=13777.0

I did a Google and Bling search and didn't come up with much. It looks like our own Board has more experience than anything I've found! Cool

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »

I have run them on fuel tankers and were not impressed.  The company purchased them through Les Schwab.  The tires wore out quicker than other brands (which is probably not much of a problem on a bus conversion), but the real problem is that they easily picked up debris and had to be repaired.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »

I have about 10000 miles on the double coins I bought.  I have not had a lick of trouble with them.  I decided on them for the price at the time.  I have since discovered Michelin is part owner of double coin.  You have to remember hardly anything we buy is made here anymore. I like rolling slow anyway.  I cruise along at about 55 mph.  On a long straight I might go 65 mph.  I do believe we are OK olling double coin. 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:15:34 AM »

The proof is the charter company that rolled into Choo-choo that is currently using them.

I am all for American made products but wouldn't it be slightly hipocritical of me to bash the Chineese when I am driving a bus manufactured in Canada?

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »

I am all for American made products but wouldn't it be slightly hipocritical of me to bash the Chineese when I am driving a bus manufactured in Canada?

America could mean North America, but then we would be including Mexico.  Canada and China are worlds apart.  I have no issues buying anything from Canada.  I do have issues buying from China, but I often have no real choice.

Canada has similiar standards of living, pollution controls, and other regulations as the USA does.  China pays workers little, has lots of pollution, and few regulations.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »

America could mean North America, but then we would be including Mexico.  Canada and China are worlds apart.  I have no issues buying anything from Canada.  I do have issues buying from China, but I often have no real choice.

Canada has similiar standards of living, pollution controls, and other regulations as the USA does.  China pays workers little, has lots of pollution, and few regulations.

True, but missing the point...which is that it's hypocritical for a person to show prejudice against another country, but then get upset when someone else does the same. The actual countries in question are irrelevant - but naturally people tend to take it personally if one of them happens to be where they live.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 07:24:02 AM »

The proof is the charter company that rolled into Choo-choo that is currently using them.

Joe, that isn't what Mike said.  He said they received a quote on those tires, not that they were running them.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
ccbmster

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 07:51:38 AM »

I know of two charter companies in SoCal that run nothing but the Chinese tires (I think they are double coin but wouldn't swear to it) and have been for a while with no problems.  They get them for around $200.00 a tire.

86 MCI 102A3  MI/CA with SoCal being primary. 6V92 with Allison 740 Auto
82 MCI 9 8V71N with Allison 740 Auto..soon to be parted out or scrapped
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: