Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 01:25:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody have experience with "Double Coin" brand tires?  (Read 5850 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 05:24:31 PM »

My tires are Japanese and, I think, Korean. Who cares?

The prejudice against China never ceases to amaze me?

So many things are made in foreign countries today that it makes no difference to me where it comes from as long as it is a good value.

Half the stuff I buy that is made in the USA is pure junk.

This stuff is really silly!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

The prejudice against China never ceases to amaze me?

Have you ever worked in a factory or know someone who has?  Know anyone who has lost a job because a factory moved to China?

I like to see my fellow Americans have jobs which is why I avoid Chinese stuff when possible.  Someone I know has gone from working exclusively in the USA to flying to Mexico regularly to visit the plant when it moved there to visiting China now as the plant moved again.  He hates going to China as he is there for weeks to avoid airfare costs.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »

I like to buy American when I can also, but in today's world it's darn near impossible. Heck, go to WalMart or any other store, even auto parts and see where it comes from. It's much different than several years ago. I remember when I was a kid joking about the Japanese, now look at what we get from them. Some of the Made in USA stuff is not of very good quality either. We are a nation of consumers, not manufacturers anymore.

I see both sides, but please let's respect one anothers opinion.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 08:55:47 PM »

I don't really care where they were made.  I agree the tires are a good price, that is why there were buying them.  They are actually probably a good choice for a bus conversions that has access to a spare and not really driven that many miles.  But from a commercial use standpoint they picked up a lot of debris compared to the Michelins and Yokohamas we switched to.

Kevin
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 05:02:43 AM »

I  have one on steer that I had to buy after a blowout..It just doesn't feel right and the wear pattern  is irregular....moving it to tag and putting another Michelian(sp) on steer..I believe in Buy American when possible...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 05:35:29 AM »

I believe in buying locally and supporting your fellow citizens as well, but Michelin - may be a fine tire, my personal experience was bad (OEM fitment on my truck, all failed prematurely due to sidewall cracking, no warranty support) but a French company with world wide manufacturing is about the definition of world-citizen corporation, and fully supports the argument to buy a product from whom-ever and where-ever it is made to your standard of quality, price and  availability.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/front/templates/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=12&lang=EN

It looks to me like Michelin and Double Coin were partners in the past, co-owners of a Chinese tire manufacturing company Shanghai Michelin Warrior Tire Co., but Double Coin bought out of it last year.  This article says Michelin and Double Coin will continue to collaborate, whatever that means.

http://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/news/story.aspx?id=10538503

My own "buy local" means I take the five minute drive to town to chat with my tire guy.  I tell him what I need, and he uses his 40 years in the tire business and his experience selling thousands of tires annually to recommend a tire that that will suit my needs, sells it to me at a lower price than I have ever been able to find elsewhere, mounts them and installs them with a torque wrench, gives me a coupon to remind me to come back after 100 miles for free re-torquing, and on cars and pickups at least will do free rotation for the life of the tires.  He also mounts and balances my race tires for free, even though I don't buy them from him.  Now THAT is buying locally and supporting your local business, and why I do that!

I could care less where the tires are made.  All I need is a quality product at a good price.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 06:20:36 AM »

I sincerely apologize to anyone I offended with my poor choice of words.

I would always hope or assume that others would be as passionate about their country of origin as I am.

Back to tires.

I would like to believe that 25 years of opporating a tractor trailer taught me a few things one being about tires. I did better than 30,000 dollars of business with my tire distributor over the last decade and that was for 1 perticular rig & trlr that I alone drove every mile that was put on it.

Above everything else I came to the conclusion that the biggest difference from one brand or another is the price. I would also assume that someone with a long background in any buisness would tend to be more comfortable doing things that folks from other walks of life would not.

Happy 4th of July everyone and God Bless America...........we need it more than ever with all the knuckleheads like me running around on Chinese tires.

Maybe I will have a bumper sticker made up that says stay back I'm running Chineese tires and they could blow at any miniute..........keep all the tailgaters back.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »

Just to clarify again on the double coins, our tankers never had a blow out, they just picked up road debris easily.  Seemed that we always had bolts, pieces of metal, etc in the tires and often had leaks.  We were calling the tire guys every other day dealing with 35 tankers and trailers.  With the Michelins and Yokohamas (primarily Yokohamas, but we used Michelins on the big 445 super singles on the trailers), there is a call to the tire guy about once every other week.  It got to the point that our dispatchers had to look up the tire guys number as they didn't call it as often.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »

Interestingly I've never seen any barbs about French (Freedom?), Korean, Japanese or Taiwan tires, just Chinese??

Very mysterious!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »

I think it has  to do with the way that the Chinese seem to be winning the race these days, owning all the debt and all they way they do.  They do things they way we used to do them 100 years ago, before we got all environmental and safety conscious.  Plus they build things to a spec, and an awful lot of stuff they build is spec'd to a very low standard.  they can build things to a very high spec as well, if they are asked to.  I don't know what the answer is, nor the question, I'm just trying to get along.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »

It disappoints me to hear all the Canada, Mex, China and Japan mfr bashing.  The bad manufacturers are weeded out as they should be, in this country alone, with suits that cost them a ton and generate bad publicity.  That is the way our system works and that alone keeps them honest.  Cap the lawsuit award limits and relieve the regs and see what you get EVERY BLESSED TIME.  So lets abolish tort law and unleash the horrors of unimpeded capitalism that has never in history been saddled with a conscience.

That being said:  It isn't  the Free Trade that we have been treated to this past 20 years that has ruined our economy.  It is the lack of FAIR trade.  First the creeps give a HUGE advantage to offshore and then they cripple our ability to compete.  Any first year college freshman can explain to you why free trade will improve the "life" of the citizens of both trading countries.  Workers and buyers alike.

For cars, Kuhmo (?) has had a really good rep for years and I understand it is only getting better.  As a brand it has gotten pretty good reviews from the Lexus guys on that forum.  They tend to be critical of almost everything.  Good group though and very helpful.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 04:45:01 PM »

before we got all environmental and safety conscious.  That safety stuff is why coal costs so much.  If we could just let the mine owners do things in a common sense and profitable way the cost of coal would plummet.  I heard a guy say the other day that the military should not get any special medical treatment for the wounds they suffer in combat BECAUSE "they knew what the were getting into when they enlisted".   I guess that goes for coal miners and Enron employees with no pension and those foolish enuf to live on the Gulf coast.

And let us never forget the excesses of the court settlements for Love Canal.  Every chem company got paranoid after that and started selling their properties to break the chain of ownership and avoid law suit liabilities.  Some operations were moved to Bhopal, India.  Those Indianese knew what they were getting into when they moved into that neighborhood or were moved in on by that chem plant.

A black friend related a conversation he overheard on his front porch.   His Daddy and uncles were looking at a curvaceous 15 year old walking down the dirt road in a dress she had clearly outgrown and his Daddy said "now some daxx FOOL is going to go and ruin that with education".   We got to cut the fat from the Gummint budget and those school teachers are the first that should have to go.  Doc's Daddy would be in favor of that but for different reasons than you might imagine(I hope)....lots of folk have a ax to grind or "funny" ideas.  These are not my ideas, for clarification before Dallas hits me. Grin

John the temperate
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:50:21 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »

If we are still talking about tires here....I have run DoubleCoin on some of my tractors/trailers and have to say that I believe they are a good value, and probably a great deal (financially speaking) for BusNuts who need decent tires but don't have the budget that a revenue operation has.

I would buy DoubleCoin to put on my bus (if I had a bus) rather than another premium tire that cost more but I would not be able to run out mileage wise before the casing checked or dated out.

Did I communicate that clearly?

James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »

Lest we forget.. a good number of the companies in China are American owned, operated or have a significant interest.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »

Did I communicate that clearly?  Sure, you will be in Cleveland on Sept 14th. I got it. Roll Eyes Grin

—Pla
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: