Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 06:55:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We were just talking about fire  (Read 3863 times)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:25:06 AM »

Click on the link

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_696620fc-84b2-11df-baa3-001cc4c03286.html

Edit--- I found another link. Guess what?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100701/NEWS01/707019811#fiery-i-80-crash-kills-2
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:29:57 AM by Chopper Scott » Logged

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:42:40 AM »

Obviously I have a vested interest in this story.  One site says it was a tire failure.  The other does not mention the cause. 

If you find out more about the fire, I would appreciate the information.

Jim
jim at rvsafetysystems dot com

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »

We obviously don't have all the details yet. Something catastrophic happened for it to engulf the entire motorhome in seconds. Either a gas tank rupture or, more likely, a propane tank or line.
It's sad that they were unable to evacuate in time.

Please post more info if you find it.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:24:52 AM »

I'll keep watching for more info guys. It's strange that we were just talking about something like this.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »

Sad loss . . .   Sad
From the sketchy information, sounds like there were multiple things going wrong in rapid succession.

As can happen when a tire fails & starts beating the crap out of everything within reach.

I am interested in learning more details to see if there is something I need to improve upon on mine . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:46 AM »

Think about what happens in a blowout.

You start with a heavy rubber and steel container, which fails catastrophically.  In doing so, fragments may be sent in all directions, not to mention a "pinwheel" of tread whipping around.

Imagine a chunk of steel-reinforced tread ripping through a propane line, striking sparks as it goes, which fills the coach with gas in a matter of seconds before something sparks it.

Care to bet that this S&S motorhome had a single door, halfway back?  And that they had locked the door?

Consider this a good reminder to make sure your fuel lines are protected from blowouts (on a bus, this is generally the case, but MAKE SURE).
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:44:07 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:38:59 PM »

Alright, Dallas,
There you go, expecting us to use that thing called perspective.  Next thing ya know, you'll want us to apply SENSE!  I don't want to fan any flames, but I have to admire your courage in expressing your opinion, and I have to agree.
Dennis
Former fire investigator

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »

OK, one more comment.  BG6, I don't want to discourage any sharing of information here, just offering my opinion.  I have to confess to have been guilty of expressed my opinion before having thought it through; a mistake I still make at times.  I have to remind myself that sometimes there are factors I haven't yet considered, or haven't been made known that might put a different perspective on things.  Good thread, by any count, guys.  Keep on sharing what you find and what you think.  That's what makes us all think this stuff through.
Regards,
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »

BG6, I really wish you would quit using sensationalism in this kind of post.

Imagine a chunk of steel-reinforced tread ripping through a propane line, striking sparks as it goes, which fills the coach with gas in a matter of seconds before something sparks it.

The tanks are filled to 250 psi. MAX. If they are close enough to the tire to have the regulator ripped off, then that would be a different story, but, then the gas wouldn't get into the coach, would it?

If you say so.  Gee, I hate to be sensationalistic, so I won't tell you about the things I've seen happen right in front of me, or which I've come up on a few minutes afterward.  I don't want to tell you about the accident reports that I've read, those are pretty sensationalistic, too. 

Instead, I will just point out that two people are dead because their motorhome was fully engulfed in flame before they were able to stop after a tire blew out, and wait for your non-sensationalistic explanation for how it happened.

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »

Scott >  Thanks for posting the thread.   I remember growing up less that 7 miles away from the I-80 Beaver interchange being built and paved south to hwy 6.

We can all speculate what has happened.   Using compasion in these situations is always the higher road.  Dallas we all have our opinions.   I can take offense with your statement.    "Or those that want a 'total electric' coach because propane is so dangerous?"    Maybe some of us have young children aboard the coach and have see the stove gas valves constantly played with.  It is a personal choice.    This is a forum to express ones view.    It would be nice to have the resident NTSB as a forum member.   

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »

Guys, Let's get back on the topic and leave out the what if's. If we stay on topic, we might learn something we can apply to our own coach.

I read both links and did not find any details on what happened. I think it's safe to assume the tire blew and he lost control. We still haven't heard what caused the fire.

It would be interesting to find out what happened to cause such a tragic loss. I pray I never have to experience the loss that those poor families are dealing with.

I would sure hate to lock a useful topic!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 05:35:41 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:08:13 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »

I agree with Dallas.  No, celebrations are NOT in order.  Happens often.  I agree mostly and it all makes sense.  I think the new tanks even stop the flow if they senses a line broken and the flow too high.  Didn't know they continue to regulate cause my furnace has a heck of a flame.

A friend was camping up at a logging camp.  He said one night he was in the bedroom and he heard a loud WHUMP and saw flames coming from under the sink which also housed the furnace.  It was late fall and he had the furnace on all day.  He said he ran for the door that was amidships and directly opposite the sink and "BARELY MADE IT".  He said as he looked over his shoulder he saw flames engulf the center of the S&S and completely block the door.  Regulated slow leak?  Not what he described.  But I know the tanks have a safety mech in them.  I have also used them to fuel HUGE burners for boiling corn.  I thought they would trip out but they didn't and nothing in any RV uses gas at the rate of those burners....nothing.

John
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:29:34 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »

Why take offense?

It really pisses me off when people describe things like propane as "Dangerous" ..... Gee's, what about the idiot's 

Because as a individual on this forum I have made a choice to have a all electric coach.   And because I do not want the risk of fire caused by a propane explosion.   I don't want the risk.   And I make the choice not to have it in my coach.   

FYI,  I have a 1000 and 500 gallon  tank with 150 feet of buried gas line to supply propane to my home and business.   I am aware of how safe it can be.    However for my coach I have made a personal choice to run a all electric coach.   I'm sorry that I pissed you OFF for feeling that way.   As far as calling people idiots  >>   Go to page 18  March 2008 issue BCM  >> what hypocrite!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: