Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 03:01:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lead sheets  (Read 3112 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:03 AM »

I innocently went into my home building supply outlet and asked if they had any lead sheets for sound insulation.  You would have thought I had asked for first rights to his first born.  "I would not have that stuff in my store", I told him if you did not eat it, or get shot with it you would be okay.  So thought I would come to the source and ask where can I get some lead sheets for sound proofing my engine compartment.  Just went a West Marine store by me and they want 150 dollars for a 32 X 54 piece piece of sound insulation.  That sounded pricey.

So any sources around Minnesota?

Thanks

Chuck
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »

Chuck, I have a couple of sheets you could have for free if you want.  I'm down in the Minneapolis area.  Let me know if you would like some as they are just gathering dust right now.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »

Brian, I would be interested in that lead sheet if Chuck doesn't want it.  I don't live that far from you.  I'll send a PM too.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »

Hey Brian, how did that lead sheeting work on sound proofing your bus?   Was it worth the effort and cost to do it?    Thanks Pat!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »

Brian, I am all over that offer, I will PM you to arrange the time and place.

Thanks for your generous offer.

Chuckd

PS Need any cherry wood?  Smiley
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:29:08 AM »

I would still be interested in a source for the lead sheets if anyone has such information.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »

Roofing supply outfits for outlets start with 1/16 in the rear and go thinner all the way to the front you will have a bus that has no road noise.
FWIW Prevost use lead on the entertainers shell 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
cody

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »

Just try to remember to not eat any of the sheets. lol
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:43:37 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »

Scott, you can also get it at plumbing supply stores, it is used for lead pans (showers). It is pricey but most people use viynal sheets now. If you can find ones that are damaged you might get a price break. Go to the older or oldest plumbing store around and ask.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
cody

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:34:01 PM »

Dallas, we got satin sheets once many years ago, after spending a couple of nights chasing my pillow I got rid of them and went back to regular cotton sheets lol.  For soundproofing now most use mass loaded vinyl, it's available in several thicknesses and can be bought in rolls, very nice to work with and seems to do a good job.  Concentrate in areas like over the wheel wells and over the engine compartment, road noise and engine noise are the biggest culprits.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »

What Clifford said!

Sheet rubber is also a good sound deadener and with the efforts to dispose of old tires the prices seemed to be dropping a year ago.  Given that tires have oil in them I wonder at the possible odor problem.   Any advice on that?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »

Ahoy, Chuckd,

I got a roll of lead sheet from a roofing supply house.  Called 'two pound lead sheet' for 2 lb/sq/ft.  Cost was not bad. 

My genset box is a 'sandwich':  1/2" birch plywood,  two layers of 30lb roofing felt, one layer of two lb lead, two layers of roofing felt, one layer of 1/2" birch plywood.  VERY effective.

Enjoy   /s/   Bob
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 05:30:25 AM »

I was looking at lead sheeting for my gen compartment and ran into a real problem. I'm really attached to my money and they wanted a large chunk of it for lead sheeting Grin The mass loaded vinyl is  pricey also.  I called several junk opp's recycling facility's.
 One stated that he had a dumpster full of sheeting. I went and it was folded up, but was going under genset anyway. So I bought what I needed, took it home unfolded it and with a 1' 2X8 and a sledge made it flat enough in about 10 minutes. It is very soft and easy to work with.
 If you are looking at $150 worth of sheeting, this method will cost you about $15. It also gave me the opportunity to poke around the stainless scrap and see if there was anything I could use.
                                                                                                                    HTH  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »

MLV will not hold up to the heat and vibration from a bus and reading the spec it is for sound proofing not sound deadening lead is the best for deadening check the manufacture spec not the suppliers that sell it.FWIW one of the major converters of Prevost got in big trouble using MLV he is no longer around

good luck

NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:44 AM »

back to the sources for lead sheeting.... I got a roll of 2lb/sq.ft lead that was 2ft wide and 25 ft long from a roofing supply.  Roofers use it on tile roofs for the 'valleys'..   I made sandwichs out of other materials and then put the lead in the middle..   The thickness of the whole sandwich is about 1.25 and works well..   Placed the sandwich pieces in the inside of the gen box ---  DIY. and has been effective for years..

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »

The other plus to using lead is that Superman can't spy on you, and aliens can't bombard you with radio waves....it stops some of the voices in your head. Grin Roll Eyes

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 07:06:01 AM »

ED, you need to find a job  LOL

cody

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 07:20:10 AM »

If it wasn't for the voices I wouldn't have anyone to talk too.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »

Hey Brian, how did that lead sheeting work on sound proofing your bus?   Was it worth the effort and cost to do it?    Thanks Pat!

Hi Pat,
I also put in a new floor when I put on the Lead sheeting.  I noticed a huge difference in noise.  However, how much of that was due to the lead sheeting versus the 1/2 of insulation and 1/2 of OSB over that I can not say.  In retrospect I am strongly leaning to not doing it again if I could.  I used 1/16" thick lead @ 4lbs a sq' ft.  This means each 3'x3' sheet is 36lbs.  I think I figured I added 400 lbs to the bus with the sheeting I put down.  I would give that up now and just keep the bus lighter.  All the additional furniture and walls I've put in have probably helped even more with noise then the lead did.  In addition, I get a lot of noise up the center air return duct.  Somehow it works as a great transmitter of noises in the rear of the bus up to the front.  I would have probably benefited more in making a noise baffle in the air return duct then I did with the lead.  Live and learn.  Anyway, it is in and there is nothing I'm doing about that now!
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »

HD sells a board they claim is sound deadening.  It would be a lot lighter than lead, but it is about 1/2" thick.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »

Clifford, you are right.  So far i have worked 3 days this year.....this summer is not looking good for construction around here so far. But that's ok,.....i have you guys to keep me entertained. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »

Just got back from Brian's picked up 3 plus sheets of lead, and met his wonderful wife and children.  What a superb family, and got a tour of the bus to boot.  Luckily I have dealt with all of my feelings of being less than adequate, because if I hadn't I would be suicidal about now.  Brian sees things and does them, and does them incredibly well, the man has talent, lots of talent.

Thanks Brian for the lead, I really think some cherry wood would go well with your lighter colored cabinets, don't forget I have a 1000 board feet for mostly free.

Chuckd
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: