Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:30:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lead sheets  (Read 3105 times)
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:44 AM »

back to the sources for lead sheeting.... I got a roll of 2lb/sq.ft lead that was 2ft wide and 25 ft long from a roofing supply.  Roofers use it on tile roofs for the 'valleys'..   I made sandwichs out of other materials and then put the lead in the middle..   The thickness of the whole sandwich is about 1.25 and works well..   Placed the sandwich pieces in the inside of the gen box ---  DIY. and has been effective for years..

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »

The other plus to using lead is that Superman can't spy on you, and aliens can't bombard you with radio waves....it stops some of the voices in your head. Grin Roll Eyes

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 07:06:01 AM »

ED, you need to find a job  LOL

Life is short drink the good wine first
cody

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 07:20:10 AM »

If it wasn't for the voices I wouldn't have anyone to talk too.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »

Hey Brian, how did that lead sheeting work on sound proofing your bus?   Was it worth the effort and cost to do it?    Thanks Pat!

Hi Pat,
I also put in a new floor when I put on the Lead sheeting.  I noticed a huge difference in noise.  However, how much of that was due to the lead sheeting versus the 1/2 of insulation and 1/2 of OSB over that I can not say.  In retrospect I am strongly leaning to not doing it again if I could.  I used 1/16" thick lead @ 4lbs a sq' ft.  This means each 3'x3' sheet is 36lbs.  I think I figured I added 400 lbs to the bus with the sheeting I put down.  I would give that up now and just keep the bus lighter.  All the additional furniture and walls I've put in have probably helped even more with noise then the lead did.  In addition, I get a lot of noise up the center air return duct.  Somehow it works as a great transmitter of noises in the rear of the bus up to the front.  I would have probably benefited more in making a noise baffle in the air return duct then I did with the lead.  Live and learn.  Anyway, it is in and there is nothing I'm doing about that now!
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »

HD sells a board they claim is sound deadening.  It would be a lot lighter than lead, but it is about 1/2" thick.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »

Clifford, you are right.  So far i have worked 3 days this year.....this summer is not looking good for construction around here so far. But that's ok,.....i have you guys to keep me entertained. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »

Just got back from Brian's picked up 3 plus sheets of lead, and met his wonderful wife and children.  What a superb family, and got a tour of the bus to boot.  Luckily I have dealt with all of my feelings of being less than adequate, because if I hadn't I would be suicidal about now.  Brian sees things and does them, and does them incredibly well, the man has talent, lots of talent.

Thanks Brian for the lead, I really think some cherry wood would go well with your lighter colored cabinets, don't forget I have a 1000 board feet for mostly free.

Chuckd
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: