Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 01:02:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get inexpensive foam bunk mattresses?  (Read 1506 times)
belfert

« on: August 16, 2006, 11:08:36 AM »

Any suggestions where to get inexpensive ($100 or so) foam bunk mattresses?  I am thinking about the type they would use in a cabin/bunkhouse at a youth camp.  They do need to be 80" long instead of the standard twin length.

I bought one from Excel Distributing for $88 that is nice, but not firm enough.  Knox Foam is simply too expensive by the time you add a cover.

Brian Elfert
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »

Brian if you don't have any luck with what you are looking for I can think of a couple of other places to buy cheap mattresses ! Either at a Big Rig/RV Salvage yard, or at one of the RV Surplus outlets over around Elkhart/Southbend, IN area ! They'll be more like a  real mattress than just a foam pad but you probably can get the size your looking for at a reasonable price ! FWIW BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »

Brian...we followed the recommendation of Cliff (Florida Cracker) and contacted Knox foam (they're online) and ordered ours.

FWIW.....

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
belfert

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 02:24:14 PM »

Brian if you don't have any luck with what you are looking for I can think of a couple of other places to buy cheap mattresses ! Either at a Big Rig/RV Salvage yard, or at one of the RV Surplus outlets over around Elkhart/Southbend, IN area ! They'll be more like a  real mattress than just a foam pad but you probably can get the size your looking for at a reasonable price ! FWIW BK Grin

I actually couldn't seem to find any decent bunk mattresses at any of the RV Surplus places in Elkhart back in April.  Very little selection.

Fuel is too expensive and time is too precious to make another trip to Elkhart right now.

Brian Elfert
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »

see--> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3380079

reversable - memory foam on one side - firmer regular foam on the other

cut the king size (76" x 80" X 6") in half  --> yields (2) 36" x 80" X 60" -

we like them in our RTS

Pete RTS/Daytona

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »

I actually couldn't seem to find any decent bunk mattresses at any of the RV Surplus places in Elkhart back in April.  Very little selection.
Fuel is too expensive and time is too precious to make another trip to Elkhart right now.
Brian Elfert

They have phones and some have websites, doesn't cost much to check it out before dirving all the way there ! Also don't forget to check out the big truck places the mattresses in the sleepers are about the size you were looking for if I remember right !  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:55:44 PM »

I've probably built a half dozen foam mattresses over the years.

I use two pieces. One is 2-3" thick of medium firm, the base is 4-6" of very firm. I put these two together inside a padded  mattress cover with the softer one on top so it will have enough give to conform to body shapes. The very firm is the base with little give. Of course the platform for the mattress must be solid, I use 3/4" plywood.

This works just as well as the overpriced "memory" foams.

I just did one like this for the bus.

I buy all of my foam from JC Penny mail order. The quality is first rate and the price is reasonable.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 10:27:03 PM »

Thanks, Gusc, we're in need of some foam cushions. We'll be checking that source out.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
JerryH

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 11:14:51 PM »

Bought ours from Katz in Phila.

Katz Foam & Fabrics
857 N 5th St, Philadelphia, PA
9.5 mi NE - (215) 922-3290

These guys were GREAT!!  They do ship, but I drove there -- I am outside Phila.
They took a queen size 5" foam mattress and cut it to the size I needed for (2) bunks.
I cannot remember the exact price, but it was very very afordable.

They have a catalog as well.  They sell spray adhesives and everything you need for upholstery work.  Very reasonable.  They only do cash or check -- No credit cards.

Jerry H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: