Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 01:14:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: startability - 8V71 and Spicer...  (Read 3472 times)
06 Bill

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 07:52:43 AM »

1 more reason to flat tow. In Arches Park UT, found a spot I had to stop & to steep to restart. Wife gave a little shove with toad,
stopped at top re grouped and all was well 06 Bill.    PS this with 730 auto in a 4106 8V71
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »

Larry, are you saying the Wrangler made the difference between first gear and third gear on similar grades?  How interesting!  My towed car is roughly 2700 lbs on it's dolly.

Brian

Keep in mind that it was an 11% grade that put me into first gear. On the way back home, we went DOWN that grade (in 2nd gear, btw) so I can't say what going UP that grade again without the toad would have done. Some hills, I kissed 50 mph and just left it in fourth. Oh, the other thing I did was drain my fresh water tanks, and I know I got rid of 60 gallons (480 pounds). I am saying that shedding the 3,000# Wrangler (or whatever it weighs) and 480# of water, seemed to make a lot of difference. Anyone that has driven a 4106 without a toad knows they scoot along pretty good.

And.....sorry....but I would never stick my wife in the toad on an 11% grade to push the bus, knowing what could happen if anything DID happen. Not saying I wouldn't try it on a more gentle slope, but that seems to me to be a risky move.

When I consider that this was a 41 passenger bus, and that the FAA today calculates each passenger at 170# (ain't THAT a joke?)....we are talking about, maybe 7,000# of PEOPLE load + their baggage and any freight that might be in the bins. My Wrangler represents HALF of the people load and my bins are full of batteries, chairs, outboard motor, genset, grilles, propane tanks, etc. The living quarters may have 600-800# of human waste, maybe the same in grey water, + a half ton of water (8 # per gallon....figger it out), plus clothes, food, big screen TV, couch, bed, dinnette, chairs, etc. I would wager that our most simple conversions might have our coaches sweating like pigs going up some of these grades yanking a toad behind them. JMO.....
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »

In June 2000 we were traveling in our 4104 (6-71 and 4 speed Spicer) towing a Ford Explorer on Highway 132 on the north-side of the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec.  We were having a nice cruise traveling east along the coastline with some 10-12% grades. 

We as we were nearing Gaspe when we started up this grade in 4th at 55-60 mph and the speed started deteriorating rapidly!  Down to 3rd, then 2nd and really slowing down in 2nd and still not to the top.  I was beginning to sweat.  So, double clutch and into 1st and barely made it to the top just above an idle. 

Well, that was enough for one day, so we found the nearest campground.  Later that day I unhooked the Explorer and went back to look at that grade.  The sign at the top said 19%. 

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 11:58:23 AM »

The 4 speed Spicer is really a five speed that's missing its 1st gear.  Wait!  I have one for sale.  It's a wonderful transmission.  Everyone should carry one as a spare.  They make great coffee tables too.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: