Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
September 22, 2017, 07:17:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: if you like your bus don't stay at the KOA in Fargo  (Read 4561 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »

It's my fault really.. We have honestly never stayed at a koa that we would visit again. Long hot drive today so I thought it would be a nice thing for the kids to use the pool pulled off the exit past the koa (poor signage should have been a hint) and pulled off the exit which was paved.... for about 50 yards!!! Pulled into the koa 4 miles later with my bus and tow car covered in dirt. There is dirt in my genset/inverter bay I mean it's everywhere. I'm not usually a complainer but I gave the guy at the desk an earful. Asked him who was gonna pay to have my vehicles washed? For the air filter which just got toasted? Told him if my inverter craps out on me in the near future I am sending him the bill. Told him we were leaving and he said he was still gonna charge us so I called the cops and I hate to admit it but I almost got in a fight with the guy. He got the cop hopping mad too because there have been so many complaints regarding the dirt road. Guys a less experienced driver could have easily rolled their coach on that road. That was KOA's last chance with the Barron family. I would steer clear of it if I were you.
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »

Was it really this guys fault you continued to drive 4 miles down the dirt road? Why head down the dirt road in the first place if you don't like dirt?  Shocked  Did you think it was going to turn back into pavement "just around the bend"?  Huh

On the bright side, sounds like you may have some new material for a song Wink

Pray for rain Grin

"We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle half way across Alabam'  ....  Well that Hound broke down and left us all stranded in downtown Birmingham"  ..... Elvis
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »

The only driveway, which would have required a disconnect was 50 yards from the entrance. If I would have backed up the road I would have gotten more dust in my bus and my motor. I realize and so did the cop that this guy is not responsible for paving the road but he could tell people what to expect and he could lose the smart alec attitude.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »

Nobody likes a smart alec at the end of a hot day for sure.

I hope your travels go smother tomorrow Smiley

Have a great holiday Grin

"We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle half way across Alabam'  ....  Well that Hound broke down and left us all stranded in downtown Birmingham"  ..... Elvis
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:48:11 AM »

Rick;I'm anti koa mainly for the attitude thing..I finally got fed up after the 3rd strike and I called the cops on them also...Bad attitude and over priced from my experience..they sell image and they need to start preaching what they sell..Bob a member of anti KOA

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 05:03:33 AM »

Out of curiosity I went to RVparkreviews.com and found that you are not the only one with problems with that park.  Two of the reviews were older but still showing the same problems you found.  You would think that KOA would have some type of issues with the conditions and the attitude.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:15:45 AM »

Are dirt roads really that bad for buses?

I drive 15 to 20 miles across a very dusty desert each year with my bus.  There are huge choking clouds of dust kicked up by the tires.  I've done it three times and it doesn't seem to have hurt the bus.  I carry a spare air filter, but it doesn't seem to hurt the air filter.  The air filter I've had in there for four years is still fine based on inspection and the restriction monitor.  No silica in my oil analysis either.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 05:50:15 AM »

It will all depend on how much dust your engine ingests, which is typically related to where the air intake is in relation to where the dust is getting kicked up. On MCIs, the air intake is right in front of the left radiator. So the wheels kick it up, and the engine sucks it in. I don't remember where your Dino air intake is located.

The air cleaner will stop most of it, if it's fitted properly.  Once or twice a year is not going to do much. I would be very careful on running your air cleaner 4 years at a time, though. Possible if you only run a few thousand miles a year, but if it's through dust, I'd consider changing it even if you think it's ok.

Sean told me he lost an engine because the air cleaner he had installed did not fit properly and was 100% ineffective, unbeknown to him.

Don't take chances with dust if you can avoid it. Air filters cost less than $100. Engines cost over $10K. It's not a difficult choice.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:04:46 AM »

At one time I owned a S&s pusher with the air intake just behind the rear wheel and it only took about a mile of dusty road to plug the filter. Then it was a huge hassle to get the filter out and a hundred plus bucks for the filter so I quit driving on unsurfaced roads. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 06:23:36 AM »

The air intake on the Dina is at the roof line, but the clouds of dust are huge.  I probably should replace the filter just based on age.  I replaced it four years ago when I bought the bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »

Yep, I would have been mad too.  With a 40 footer and a towed, turning around ain't that simple, and I would have been thinking, "I have to be getting close."  We will allow our KOA membership that we have had for the past year expire, mainly because it's not worth the high rates to us.  We signed up primarily for the security of knowing that facilities would accommodate our needs on our first big trip, VA to TX.  We have figured out now that we don't need them and they're overpriced.  Just my experience. 
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »

Check out Happycamper (http://www.camphalfprice.com/).  Member campgrounds are half price.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:36:28 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »

Totally agree on KOAs.

Lots of buses are operated in dust conditions you couldn't believe. Several tour companies operate across the Denali Hwy and the haul road to the North Slope. I wouldn't not drive on a road I wanted to simply because it was dusty. I used to drive the Cassair Hwy and the Alcan twice a year in my bus. Just change the air filter when it needs it.

My $.02.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »

Red River County Campground in West Fargo is probably a better bet.... just don't go in June if you have pets.

That's when the yearly Fireworks rally is held, and although they are suppose to stop at midnight, sometimes the fuses are slow and don't go off until about 4AM.

Some of the canisters will remind you of a 155 Howitzer (from both ends), others will bring back thoughts of Mortar rounds raining down.

Yup, I know these things.

Actually, unless you're talking about a different rally, that's the PGA (I think that's the proper acronym) annual gathering, and they rotate it between Fargo, Mason City, IA, and Appleton, WI now. Used to include Gillette, WY, but no longer. A friend (and fellow busnut) is a member. I got to go to one in Mason City in 2005 and had front row seats to one of the exhibitions. Something else. I think they are held in August, now.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: