Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 09:26:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R & R engine in MCI........at home.....  (Read 1135 times)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »

OK, I know this may seem silly, but I need the experience of someone in a similar situation who has done this......
Here's what I have, Bus, gravel lot, backhoe. 'Nother eng and trans. Wanna pull whats in the bus and install the other.
   What I wish I had, concrete floor, forklift.......but nooooo......so, all thats left is to get on with it.
 Thought (or plan) #596 is to remove the back doors and bumper, of course, and then jack and block the engine cradle just untill it clears the rails, and then release the brakes on the bus and pull the bus forward and just leave the back end of the cradle on the rails and then block up the rear of the cradle ( pulley end)....
 Is there a better way with the facilities and equipment that I have? thanks Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 05:21:47 PM »

Is your hoe bg enough to handle a stinger on the bucket? It would be a lot safer if you could lift the engine with chains attached to the stinger.  It is always risky to trust a graveled area to support a concentrated weight such as an egine sitting on blocks.
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 06:22:41 PM »

The gravel isn't a deal...it's on Georgia red clay that's cut (instead of filled) with 4" compacted crusher run compacted on top......and, its mostly cut Isenglass rock (what we call it here in the grading b'ness)  I can put my bottle jack on the gravel and jack up the bus.....(I dont routinely do that, but it will support the jack)
Dry, Ga. red clay is hard as concrete...wet, its slick as snot.....with the gravel on it, it doesnt matter.

But gravel over topsoil or fill, you're absolutely right, it wouldn't be safe........but here its fine

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 06:30:56 PM »

[Chuck,  Heres what I did.  I have a 5C, I set the bucket near the engine and used a come along to slide back.  Pulled back to close to tipping point. Then used front bucket to lift out, drove up behind bus.  Hope this helps.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 08:35:54 PM »

1/4 " steel plate, Probably a couple of sheets laid down under where the bus will be sitting.
as long as you have a firm base for the plates to lay on you should be able to jack up the mess, block
it in place and slip the bus forward. ( once you figure out how to release the brakes....)

One note. if you air up the bus to release the brakes the air bags will pick up the whole affair.

Maybe airing up before jacking and blocking, then when the air goes down it will lift the engine...

Lot's of catch 22's there too....

I did it twice on a PD4501 and twice on an RTS but that wasn't an MCI...different setup..... Embarrassed

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: