Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 09:47:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire proof engine bay/ceramic insulation  (Read 3796 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »

OK guys, memory bank is a bit overloaded right now, so I decided to see what I paid for my fabricated blankets.  For the Series 60 manifold and turbo, I paid $438 (Sept 2005).  However, the Series 60 is a very simple set of blankets (no bends and not a huge amount of material).  They are indeed very easy to install and remove (with the engine out of the bus).   For Clifford's 8V92 there are two manifolds, lots of pipe and bends.  Plus it is probably not a big seller for them. 

I looked at what it would take to do the "cast" approach and it looked like it would not be a lot of fun.  After I investigated the blanket, it seemed to be a good idea.

Not sure if you could slice the "cast" and reinstall.  My guess is that it would not work well.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »

Jim, ATP has 2 different classes of their covers also, as you know a 8v92 setup  on the high side are bad about blowing a section from the manifolds I went with the`ATP after Dave Galey blew a manifold and caught his Eagle on fire.
I don't know if the wet wrap would prevent a fire from a hole in a manifold or not but the way it is made I doubt it would but that is my reason for using ATP keeping the fire from the manifold contained plus I don't see away you could wrap a manifold with the other stuff

good luck

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:52:12 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »

Kyle,

I wasn't clear.  I meant it wasn't tough enuf if you didn't wrap it with something.  Jim chose that SS foil hi temp tape.  That's a ringing endorsement for me.....50K miles.  So as I get it we are talking 2 or 3 hundred instead of $3000 10 years ago which would be OMG in today's money.  And this is where I was going with this thread.  The data I injected was that you can get 1 or 2 inch thick blanket material and the bonding agent separate to form whatever you like.  That the tape is hi temp is news to me and that pushes it across the goal.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »

John, mine were special order because of the front mounted turbo and it comes in 5 different sections you been around long enough to know you get what you pay for lol

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »

Mike,

I don't know how I could have ever missed the pictures of Dave's work attached to your earlier post.  I did that though....senior moments?  That is exactly what I was talking about.  $200 vs thousands.  As Clifford said "don't think they would stop a broken manifold" and I don't either.   Has to be some trade off when you save thousands.  Fire retarding was not on my list only because I didn't think of it.

Dave's method will cool the engine bay.  Prolong the life of materials and equip.  Add MPG and yield greater power though I don't think the seat of the pants could tell.

Thank you all.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »

Clifford,

Couldn't agree more.  I don't know about that part about "knowing better".  68 years and I still don't actually feel all that smart. Sad Cry Tongue  Certainly not in this environment.

John, mine were special order because of the front mounted turbo and it comes in 5 different sections you been around long enough to know you get what you pay for lol

good luck

—Pla
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

I used the wet blanket when I ran my generator exhaust up through the living area in my 05. I did wrap the wet blanket with tin to protect it. I can run the generator all day and the tin never gets any hotter than the surrounding air.

Good Luck Wayne
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »

Wayne,

It is incredible, isn't it? Thanks for your info.

Now add to that the design where you dump the genny ex into a vert plastic pipe of larger diameter and let a lot of air in the bottom thru convection.  The plastic gets hotter than ambient but nowhere near hot enuf to melt or be a hazzard.  That one thru me too.  Your set up uses less space.

John

—Pla
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »

Clifford, interesting thought on exhaust leak (part failure).  I have been thinking about that for the last day or two. 

I started in on updating the insulation on my exhaust and found that the pipe what worked loose at a joint.  Not too big of a leak, but a problem never-the-less.  I think that is what caused my race car tape to fail. 

So, my thoughts jump back and forth about whether I want the insulation to protect me if an exhaust failure occurs (seems obvious), or whether I want to be able to SEE the failure before it gets out of hand.

Tough question.  My gut feeling is that masking a failure will only be temporary and any form of insulation will fail in time and then you are back to having a problem (plus failed insulation that will need to be repaired/replaced). 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »

Let me throw my .02 in.

Another hat I wear is that of a Blacksmith. I have a forge - gas, that is - that I have made from expanded metal and KAO Wool. It's a ceramic wool that comes in sheets and is various thicknesses. Before it's heated, it comes close to feeling and acting somewhat like real wool. But that's where the similarity ends.
My forge will get upwards of about 3000* F with one hell of a flame coming out. The dimensions are about 8" x 14" x 16'. I have 1.5" of wool separating the inside from the outside with expanded metal creating the structure. After hours of forging the inside will be yellow hot and I can put my finger on the outside of the wool, 1.5" away from the flame with NO problem.

I just installed a new generator in my AC bay and the exhaust is close to the wall. I'm planning on wrapping it with KAO wool and holding it there with the insulating wrap they use on motorcycle exhaust. For that matter, s.s. wire would probably work as well. I never thought of aluminum tape. Hmmmm...
Altho KAO wool is a little expensive, it may be an alternative for us DIY'ers. There are also other "wools" out there, KAO is just the one I am familiar with. You can search it or some Blacksmith sites sell it. I buy mine at Blacksmith conventions that I go to. I've been using the same stuff for about 6 years or so and is in great shape.

Just thought this might help some of ya.
   Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »

Chaz,

Thank you.  I knew this stuff had to be around for cheap.  Ebay for a buck a square foot in 1/4 inch thickness.

Try this:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130342020480&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=5d757ab71260a02652d767d7fff11cc8&itemid=130342020480&ff4=263602_263622

Best example of cross polination of fields I have seen lately.
John

—Pla
gus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 11:28:31 AM »

I've use EHP wet blankets on my gen set exhaust systems and the sheeting to line the genset box, both work exceptionally well.

I plan to install the wet blanket on my 671 exhaust manifold, pipes and mufflers because my bedroom gets a bit too hot in hot weather, it is nice during cold weather though!

It is a good product, reasonably priced and pretty easy to work with. (Be sure to wear gloves) The company reps go out of their way to be helpful.

No conflict here, I have no connection whatsoever with the company or people, just a satisfied customer.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »

I'm tickled to be of help. Glad I could contribute.

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: