Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 08:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How hard is it to do upholstery? Should it be flat or padded on dash?  (Read 5036 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »

weldwood product red and black can. contact cement....dap has one also

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 05:48:27 AM »

Eric,

I stand in awe of your abilities!!! Incredible.

A couple of questions. How did you cover your fasteners? They are so neatly covered. Did you cover the panels (like on the ceiling) first, and then install it? Or did you cover it in place?

Did you have you have a book that you used, or what resources did you use (so we don't ask you 2 million and one questions)? What about trim pieces?

Thank you so much for your help. You have inspired us to do ours in a very similar fashion. 

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »

I didn't have a book, just asked questions. I will try to explain as best I can. I first covered all the walls in the bus up to the radius with 3/8" cabinet grade plywood. I used liquid nails behind and countersunk self tapping screws.
     I covered from the floor up to the rad. first as shown in the drawing below. I used a lapp joint on everything. I next used 1/8” Masonite for the rad. The first pc. Tucks behind the wall lap joint. Use 4’ long pieces. Third I lapped the ceiling over the 1/8” Masonite. Finally the last1/8” Masonite. Cut it tight, put liquid nails behind and it will be there forever. On the top pc. Of Masonite make sure you stagger the joints. I then filled all cracks holes etc. with bondo. You can use liquid nails with a putty knife also.

Next I covered the walls and ceiling with ½” foam. The correct material will have a cloth covering on one side. It comes 72” wide, vinyl comes 60. There is a reason for this which I will explain later. I went floor to floor. Any seams in this will show thru. Unless you are very careful. I made a tripod to hold the material close to the ceiling in the middle. See below. I used a spray gun with weldwood landau top and trim glue. Starting on one side spray an even coat on the ceiling and back of foam. Wait until tacky and smooth to ceiling starting in the middle. DO NOT PUSH INTO THE FOAM! It will sink into the glue. This will show up in the finished product. I put up one pc. then vinyl behind.

Now is where the width of the foam and vinyl comes in. Use the same procedure and put up the first pc. of vinyl. It will cover 12” less. Trim off the extra foam. Peel the vinyl back and trim 1-1/2” more of the foam off. Glue the foam back. It should now be flat against the ceiling  for the last 1-1/2”.  I then made a lap joint for the next pc. of vinyl as shown below. Let the vinyl hang until you put up the next pc. of foam. After the next pc. of foam is up use the same method to put up the vinyl. Avoid stretching the vinyl when possible.  It is best to work from back to front. This will conceal the seams better. I hope I used off the shelf snaps secured by # 6 x Ύ” long wood screws. Any upholstery shop can cover the snap covers with your excess material. I hope this helps. If anyone has questions P.M. me and I’ll try to answer them. Keep in mind I do not know if this is the proper way but it works for me!!LOL

I didn't have a book, just asked questions. I will try to explain as best I can. I first covered all the walls in the bus up to the radius with 3/8" cabinet grade plywood. I used liquid nails behind and countersunk self tapping screws.
     I covered from the floor up to the rad. first as shown in the drawing below. I used a lapp joint on everything. I next used 1/8” Masonite for the rad. The first pc. Tucks behind the wall lap joint. Use 4’ long pieces. Third I lapped the ceiling over the 1/8” Masonite. Finally the last1/8” Masonite. Cut it tight, put liquid nails behind and it will be there forever. On the top pc. Of Masonite make sure you stagger the joints. I then filled all cracks holes etc. with bondo. You can use liquid nails with a putty knife also.

Next I covered the walls and ceiling with ½” foam. The correct material will have a cloth covering on one side. It comes 72” wide, vinyl comes 60. There is a reason for this which I will explain later. I went floor to floor. Any seams in this will show thru. Unless you are very careful. I made a tripod to hold the material close to the ceiling in the middle. See below. I used a spray gun with weldwood landau top and trim glue. Starting on one side spray an even coat on the ceiling and back of foam. Wait until tacky and smooth to ceiling starting in the middle. DO NOT PUSH INTO THE FOAM! It will sink into the glue. This will show up in the finished product. I put up one pc. then vinyl behind.

Now is where the width of the foam and vinyl comes in. Use the same procedure and put up the first pc. of vinyl. It will cover 12” less. Trim off the extra foam. Peel the vinyl back and trim 1-1/2” more of the foam off. Glue the foam back. It should now be flat against the ceiling  for the last 1-1/2”.  I then made a lap joint for the next pc. of vinyl as shown below. Let the vinyl hang until you put up the next pc. of foam. After the next pc. of foam is up use the same method to put up the vinyl. Avoid stretching the vinyl when possible.  It is best to work from back to front. This will conceal the seams better. I hope I used off the shelf snaps secured by # 6 x Ύ” long wood screws. Any upholstery shop can cover the snap covers with your excess material. I hope this helps. If anyone has questions P.M. me and I’ll try to answer them. Keep in mind I do not know if this is the proper way but it works for me!!LOL

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 09:27:41 AM »

Sorry about the pics. I tried to load autocad exports, but it wouldn't work. If anybody knows how let me know.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »

The Depot should have it.
Dave

My personal skills are fine.. it’s my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 05:06:58 AM »

Eric,

Thanks for the explanation. That helped a lot. I haven't digested all of that info, but when I do, I am sure I will have more questions.

You mentioned that you had pics, or drawings or something. I will PM you my email addy, so you can send me the files, if you want.

You have been a HUGE help to this process!!!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: