Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 06:30:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONAN 7.5kW DIESEL ....Opinions?  (Read 5661 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »

I think I have the SAME exact generator, that I just installed this week. I paid 900.00 for it and they list on the internet for $9000.00!!!!! New of course. Mine had 1200 hours. They had 10 for sale at a place in Toledo, OH.

If you are familiar with my other threads, I was concerned about shoe-horning it in my AC bay with a plasma cutter.......... it's all done and lookin Gooooooooood!!  I'll post pix as soon as my camera is repaired or I get a new one.

The commercial unit I got is a "reconnectable" 3 phase. Basically, that just means I can set it up of single phase and still get 7.5kw. It took awhile to figure it out but, all said and done, I could do the next one in a half hour. Just 12 wires to reconnect and one pot. to adjust.

I'm not sure what the quiet ones sound like but this one sure isn't loud. (My 4kw gas job was waaaaaay louder.) It came with a large muffler that I mouted under it. I intend to box it in a bit to keep the noise down further and the heat out of the bay a little better.

I may be biased, and I may end up eating my words, but I'm liking this guy pretty good so far. Paul Elbisser picked us up both one but, he opted out of his for a new one, set up for a coach. I sold that one to a friend who was beside himself to get it.

Bottom line............... I like mine!
  Chaz
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:51:30 PM by Chaz » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 03:15:41 PM »

Genny in the engine loop sets you up to loose the use of both if you spring a leak in one.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

True for heat loading.
However, you now set yourself for a single point failure. Loss of coolant takes out both engine and genset. So not only are parked  but you have no power once the batteries run down.
Separate cooling systems are no guarantee of always working. You will probably only lose one system.
Belt and suspenders is good.
Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:52 AM »

What about creating a loop system where you could go either way with a couple ball valves??? ANy advantages or die advantages??

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: