Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:59:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh water under bed or in cargo bay opinions please  (Read 1380 times)
Wax-um

1982 MCI Conversion project

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »

I found two very nice options for my fresh water tanks but thought I would get a few opinions before I order one. I can either go underneath the bed or in cargo bay. Link of both tanks below.

http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/display.php?product_id=2041

http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/display.php?product_id=2810
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:49:02 PM by Wax-um » Logged
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55:01 PM »

Well, they can't BOTH be the most popular with bus converters!

Under bed - Pro - it's not in the bay but you lose handy under-bed storage.  Noisy pump if you mount it in the bedroom
In the bay - Pro - it's not under the bed but you lose handy luggage bay storage.  Quiet pump.

My decision would be in the bay, if only because we have twin beds.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:16:17 PM »

The only good reason I can think of to place the fresh water tank under the bed is if you plan to do a lot of cold weather camping (like skiing, etc.). Freezing is a bit more of a problem in the bays, but even there steps can be taken to minimize this possibility. Good luck!
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 14 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »

A few more things to consider:
Under the bed water will pick up heat from the engine - maybe a good thing, maybe not.

Where is the water going to go when (not if) it leaks?  Sad

Wherever you locate your tank, do yourself a favor & slope ALL supply lines to a common low point drain to make winterizing the plumbing easy.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »

I had another thought.  100 gallons of water weighs 835 lbs, add some for mounting stuff, I'm not sure I would put close to 900 lbs of load directly over the engine.  On my bus, MCI, and probably some others, the engine is to a great degree hung from the monocoque formed by the bus structure, roof, sides, etc, and the water would be a net load addition to the same structure.  I'm sure it can handle  it, but I would then feel constrained to not add things like a trailer hitch with some tongue weight, and so on.  The luggage bay is of course designed to carry exactly these loads, and in the best place for handling and stability.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »

in utility bay with other tanks...Friends bus tank was under bed,woke up one morning to wet carpet..hose clamp failed...you can inagine damage to his carpet but also the hardwood in the bath and kitchen..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Wax-um

1982 MCI Conversion project

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »

Thanks, Cargo bay for sure!!!
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »

Putting it under the bed at the rear of the bus will cover up the access cover in the floor. I for one will always have this cover accessable for repairs and inspection.
 Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
ccbmster

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 01:50:43 PM »

I had a travel trailer for YEARS with the water tank under the bed and it was never any problem at all.  That would seem a great option to me as with a bed (at  least the queen bed we have in ours) there is a LOT of space toward that back that is difficult to use for anything else.  Of course the bay mount makes it super easy for fill attachment and such.

86 MCI 102A3  MI/CA with SoCal being primary. 6V92 with Allison 740 Auto
82 MCI 9 8V71N with Allison 740 Auto..soon to be parted out or scrapped
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »

If you (or anyone else) does decide to put it under the bed, I would suggest a plastic liner in the box before you install the tank.  You can buy a 10 x 10 45 mil pond liner for about fifty bucks.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »

Bay for me. The water under the bed would block access to engine and would heat up with engine. Then you have the engine and 100 gal of water keeping the bed room hot. I can think of better ways LOL.

IMO
John
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:51:58 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »

I have a 105 gallon tank in my bay, but I've been thinking about possibly converting the fresh water tank to a second waste tank.  I would then put two tanks under the the bunks in the rear.  I've haven't done it yet because of the difficulty of plumbing everything up especially the fill and vent.  I also don't really want to lose what storage area is under the bunks.

We've done pretty good with 8 guys and just 105 gallons for 4 days.  We use the event supplied porta potties to cut down on toilet use.  We conserve so much water that we generally have 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank left at the end. 

I made the fresh water and waste tanks the same size, but the waste tank fills faster.  I did the combined waste tank because space constraints really didn't allow for a big enough black tank.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: