Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 10:11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you remove a HT745CR from an 8V71?  (Read 5420 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:35 AM »

If this were mine, I'd be pulling the kits out the top and getting the crank to spin, and removing those bolts through a hole that appeared in the flywheel housing when my 6 lb sledge accidentally repeatedly fell on it from a great height.  Presumably the flywheel housing is now a scrap part due to the prior damage on the starter mount.  If it is cast iron it should create a hole pretty easily.  From my manual you need the flex plate and the crank adaptor intact and in good shape, so don't over-flex the flex plate.  The ring gear is part of the torque converter.

You don't even need to remove the kits, just get them high enough that the rods clear the crank.  This presumes you can get at the bottom of the engine...

Brian

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:06:34 AM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »

Brian,
That is the current plan - remove the top of the motor & pull the kits up.

The story is that water got in the motor & that is why it is stuck - If the corrosion is too bad, the liners may not want to come out & I may have to get creative.

These engines look big inside the bus - they are HUGE when you are contemplating turning them upside down to work on 'em.  Shocked

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:13 AM »

A friend sent me this picture of the 8V71 in his Scenicruiser. It has the access plug that mine doesn't.
Apparently, when the automatic was installed it his bus, the bell housing was changed too.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 07:06:26 AM »

Oops, I didn't use the right picture. I meant to include the arrow showing the access plug.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 07:14:47 AM »

I'm thinking pull the heads off to get at the pistons and make it a little lighter, hook a chain the the top, and roll it over with your 4X4...  Add a roll limiting chain so once it's over it stays where it's put.  If anything still has fluid in it it will make a mess...  I'd get a lift on the trans and pull it with the whole mess upside down.  Use a big hammer on the rods should shift the kits down, or just get a torch in there and cut off the rods - all you need is the crank to spin if you are tossing the engine as scrap anyway.

Brings back memories - back when I was into Mini's - the little Austin kind - we could pull a power train in well less than 30 minutes, but we did it "rough" - copious use of the flame wrench and bolt cutters...and a pole and chain with a guy on either end OR we just left the power pack on the ground and flipped the body off, still took two guys...  Grin

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:27:30 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »

I hope to start demolition disassembly this weekend.  Grin

My biggest concern for corrossion is from the face it has been sitting for so long. . . outside . . . . with minimal to no cover.

I'll start with removing the blower & see how it progresses from there. I'd like nothing more than to do this with the engine still in the cradle where it isn't likely to move when I don't want it to. . . .  Shocked

I can't afford a long brass rod  Wink . . . . I'll have to use something else to apply the trauma. This may be more therapeutic than I'd thought.  Cool
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:14:33 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »

"John Henry driving
on the right side
That steam drill driving
on the left
Says, "Fore I let your
steam drill beat me down
I'm gonna hammer
myself to death, Lord, Lord,
I'll hammer my fool self to death"

John Henry was a hammerin' man, just like you this weekend!    Grin

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:26:51 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 12:52:35 PM »

John Henry was a hammerin' man, just like you this weekend!    Grin

I'm not a huge fan of swinging a hammer. (my aim isn't so good & my fingers seem to be what attracts the most intrest of the hammer.  Roll Eyes )

However, I do have a large (20+ ton) port-a-power with a good sized chain (the rod used to make the links is 5/8" dia). If a few taps don't impress it, I'm sure that will.  Cool Cheesy

Come to think of it, isn't the blower a positive displacement - so how likely is it that water would have gotten past it?

It's looking like I will be having an interesting weekend.

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

If only it had came out of an Eagle  coach with propane this would have been so much easier!! Grin Grin Just kiddin guys!!!!! Wink

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »

Kyle, pull the injectors and soak with parts blaster. Have you checked the bottom of the bell housing for access that particular bell housing was used for the wet torque converter that ran in oil there is access some place and it should be opposite the starter side could have a soft plug.   

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »

Crap, wish I'd thought about the penetrating oil through the injector holes. I'll do that tomorrow & give the liquid mechanic time to work a little magic.  Grin

Nope, not a single access hole in line with the tc bolts. I can reach 'em thru the starter, but that will be a short throw for the wrench. the hole in the bottom is too small & out of position to be of any use either.

I'll probably just use a hole saw to make a better/ more convenient hole - that adapter is headed for scrap anyways.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »

Kyle wish i'd read this sooner!
I'm with Clifford we had 6V92 that locked up due to a cracked head dumping a lot of water in one side all 3 cylinders. I due what Clifford just said and pulled all six injectors, the inspection covers and used a big honk'n 1" ratchet with a cheater bar (Dallas & Cody have seen it and the new curve of the handle) to turn the engine over. Of course we had the access plug! (oh yeah, I forgot to use penetrating oil too! Wink)

If I were you (and of course I'm not!) I would tell Seth "here's a 10 lb sledge and in my pocket is a $20 if you can break me a hole right here!"

Of course if that goes over as well as offering him $20 to recover my phone then I'd break out the smoke wrench and "blow" a hole in it!

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 05:55:41 AM »

I tend to do more harm than good with a smoke wrench - The oddest things happen in addition to the expected mayhem. So, I'll stick with a hole saw & a right angle drill so as to minimize the chance of damaging the flex plate.

I took the inspection covers off the starter side & the one cylinder I could see into looked like it had some light surface rust issues. No suprise there since it has sat outside so long.

I need to clear out space to put this in the shop so I can proceed.

Maybe if I get the big grinder & a stack of cutoff disks out & ready to use, the engine will surrender ? ? ? One can hope.  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: