Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 08:30:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protection while dry camping  (Read 3690 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »

I have recently read accounts of campers and hikers stopping the attack of a Grisley sow with cubs with a pepper spray that is meant for bear.  It is said to carry 40 ft and create a "can't miss" cloud of industrial strength "you can't ignore me" stuff.  It must be under tremendous pressure cause they say it makes a loud CRACK like a 22 LR.

This was an eye opener for me:    http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear%20spray.pdf

Comments???

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »

Yeah, I hear you can tell grizzly scat from other bear scat because it is full of little bells and smells like pepper!   Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
letz4wheel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »

My guess is the crack your hearing is a noisemaker built in to make the bear hungrier...kinda like Pavlov's dogs  Grin

'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71
pipes
Tug boat dude.

I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:16:54 PM »

Subject: Wasp Spray ............I ASSUME THIS WILL WORK ON ANY THING WITH EYES !!!

I know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...---

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray  -  A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned aboutsomeone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police departmentabout using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in  Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at  Sylvania  Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:25:12 PM by pipes » Logged

Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »

RE: Wasp spray

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:29:37 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »

Loved this quote:

The reasonable use of a self-defense spray or foam device containing not more than 2% oleoresin capsicum by a person in the protection of a person or property under circumstances which would justify the person's use of physical force.
      (Additonally, most spray insecticide containers include warnings stating that "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.")

Do you suppose my semi-auto 9mm qualifies as a form of self-defense spray?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:16:37 PM »

The reasonable use of a self-defense spray or foam device containing not more than 2% oleoresin capsicum by a person in the protection of a person or property under circumstances which would justify the person's use of physical force.
      (Additonally, most spray insecticide containers include warnings stating that "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling
."). "

I suppose it is also a violation to use my steak knife in a manner inconsistent with its intended use.... or my Louisville slugger..... or a tightly wrapped roll of quarters, or any number of other items that may be within reach and may be useful in a defense situation.

The safety of my loved ones far outweighs any "rights" of a transgressor; animal or human.

Just my way.....

Mark
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:52:41 AM by Stormcloud » Logged

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »

I ordered a 16 oz spray can of 17% cap. that is called "bear spray".  Shoots a cloud of the stuff some 30 feet.  Is propelled by high pressure nitrogen so that 22 report sound reasonable.  Also contains a UV dye so they are marked for a while.....the bear!  Cost me less than 30 dollars including shipping.  20 applications so I am covered...or they are.  Even can come with its own holster.  Always options....I like options. Wink

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:48:58 AM »

...  Always options....I like options. Wink

I like options, too.  I like the option of shooting that bear with a .45 after he sucks down that pepper spray as an aperitif and prepares for the main course!  Cool

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:08:43 AM »

Gumpy Dog,

I felt the same way about that spray.  Then I learned that in most states it is against the law to sell any spray with a higher concentration than 2 %. The BEAR SPRAY is 17% and isn't legal for use on humans unless you are a cop.  Well, brother, it is also illegal to plant an axe in a guy's head....unless he is exhibiting all the right behaviors and then anything you can do to defend yourself is fine. So,it all depends.

I recently saw an interview with a Park Ranger and he was furious that Bear Spray was still getting a bad rap.  Actually, I have gotten a ton of laughs from the bear scat with bells in it that smelled of pepper spray. TONS!  Turns out to be not true and missleading.  Still funny though.

Please read that item I referred  to.  I sure didn't know that if you shoot a Grise you are 90% sure of being attacked and killed or seriously injured.  Read injured as "limb ripped off". Pepper spray has a 90+ percent chance of stopping an attack and they have a whistle that is to be used prior to spray if possible and they say that also works often enuf to warrant its use.  A friend of mine was attacked in Mineral King, Ca. while walking thru the Flower Meadow.  He said he didn't have a chance to turn around after he heard the brush crash and the thing growled.  Picked him up by his back pack and gave him a terrible shake.  He hit his quick release and started running.  Turns out he could run faster than his backpack so he got away. (Dallas, note)

I have been told that a 357 will bounce off a Grisly head if you shoot it between the eyes.  A 44Mag isn't much better.  The 500S&W might be barely close but they want a 30 Winnie Mag or 338 Mag and no hand gun even approaches the ft lbs of energy in those.  It blows my mind that a 21 dollar can of spray gives me way better odds.   My wife can outrun me now so I have to consider things like ODDS.  Cruel world!

Happy trails to ya Gumpers,

John
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:11:32 PM by JohnEd » Logged

—Pla
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »

Several years ago I gave in and bought a 9 mm semi auto. Not that I was worried about bears however. I throw it along with a loaded clip in my T bag when on a long bike trip and keep it in the ole ladies underwear drawer when we are going a ways with the bus!! I keep it there because it makes her mad. For some reason I find that humorous! I have never in all my years on the bike ever needed more than my middle finger but I know several others that have had problems. Generally it is with other bikers. I just feel better having it as a last resort and don't see myself feeling that way with a can of wasp spray. If I ever run into a wild gang of bus converters I'll have something to show them!! Cheesy

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »

I think that wasp spray will sit by the door and should find application only with an attempt at forced entry.  The bear spray can double for that and for walks in the woods where 911 will not answer, let alone respond.

I  don't know about you guys but I am starting to feel a little "naked", as in exposed, out there without backup.  Now that Momma can outrun me I am sol even with the bears.

I am with you Scott.  Feel'n the need.  I didn't go for the big bore like you with the 9mm.  Mine is a puny 7.82 but it travels at a respectable 2000ft/sec(nearly) so it has the ft lbs of a 357 and drops like a rifle.  Punches nice neat holes in light body armour although that wasn't known till after I bought it.  Accurate?  My targets are gallon milk jugs at 100 yards and I hold the sights "on target".  Can't say that I hit them every time but they never get cocky and relax.

John the pacifist

—Pla
cody

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

Years ago I got a valuable lesson in what not to do, we had a problem bear at our house that just wasn't going to leave, my dad decided to do the 'right' thing and called the DNR to come in and live trap the bear which they did in short order, the bear actually entered the trap while we were setting it up, like I said it was a problem bear lol.  The DNR officer then instead of taking the bear to a remote location decided that it must be destroyed because it had absolutely no fear of humans, the call was the right one but he chose to use his service revolver to dispatch the 150 pound critter, the range he was shooting at was about 2 feet as the bear was in the barrel trap, he emptied the revolver, reloaded and emptied it again, while he was rummaging thru his car for more rounds my dad did the job with a rifle, the lesson learned for me that even with a small bear like that a 38 wasn't the right dosage for it, that was the last one we called the DNR on, any problems we had after that were dealt with in house, one was literally in house, my dad shot it while it was helping itself to fresh bread in the kitchen lol.  We grew up in a non-urban area lol.  My bear cure is an old 1898  30-40 krag, kinda like throwing rocks but they are really nice rocks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:49:54 PM by cody » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »

... and they have a whistle that is to be used prior to spray if possible and they say that also works often enuf to warrant its use.  

Oh great!  Now when bears pass gas it's going to make a whistling noise?   Grin
cody

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »

A whistle is lighter to carry than a dinner bell.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »

A whistle is lighter to carry than a dinner bell.

Probably passes through the bear easier, too.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »

Wifey thinks I'm nuts. I have been chuckling to myself since yesterday.  Aperitif....dinner bell...gas whistle...passes...etc.  Rich! Grin Grin Grin

thank you!

John

—Pla
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »

I use the 12 gauge with 3" mangum rounds, I alternate between slugs and double ot. She will hold seven and the good thing is that you don't need a flashlight or have to open the door.

I would worry about discharging bear spray in my bus, most people you shoot with that stuff have been shot before and it loooses its effectiveness.

You can have this bus when you pry her from my cold dead fingers.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »

I use the 12 gauge with 3" mangum rounds, I alternate between slugs and double ot. She will hold seven and the good thing is that you don't need a flashlight or have to open the door.

I would worry about discharging bear spray in my bus, most people you shoot with that stuff have been shot before and it loooses its effectiveness.

Where did you get that info?  Not to contradict you, now.

Please,

John

—Pla
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »

I think that wasp spray will sit by the door and should find application only with an attempt at forced entry. 

Yeah, the guy who breaks down your door will have something to spray you with.

Your defense should be LAYERED.  The perimeter layer is your locks.  The next layer should be somewhere that you can run to and reach ahead of any invader, and THIS is where your weapons should be.  The only time a weapons should be within 10 feet of the door is when you are carrying it and ready to use it if necessary.

That way, if you realize that someone is trying to break in, you don't have to go where he is to start your active defense -- you retreat to the safe place and prepare for him.  If you are at the door and realize that there is a need, you stop arguing and get to your safe place, while he thinks you're just running away in fright.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »

Good advise BG6.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: