Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 10:33:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: two roof top AC start coordinator/inhibitor current load minimizer SEAN?  (Read 2093 times)
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:35 AM »

I agree with you Barn Owl.  I am on my third rv with 6.5kw generator and have never had trouble running two air conditioners (13,500 and 12,000 btu). 

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »

...  Each of those draw 9 amps as I recall.  So to keep two running I would need 18 amps and that is a 2.2KW.  To run one and start the other I would need 18 amps start-up plus 9 amps to run or 27 amps from the inverter.  That translates to 3240KW for the inverter capacity. ...  What am I missing?

I think your numbers are off.

My 13,500 BTU/hr units draw about 13 amps each steady-state in average temperatures (more in sweltering heat, and a bit less in more temperate conditions).  They call for 20-amp HACR breakers and draw at least that much at start-up.  To run two of these would require a minimum 3.3 kW inverter -- 3.0 is too small.  Practically speaking, the next size up from 3 kW is 4 kW.

BTW, as I wrote in the other thread, I ran two of these A/Cs just fine on a 5 kW generator.  At 20 amps each for startup, even if they start together that's 4,800 watts.  It was a little Onan Marquis on a Fleetwood gasser.  I didn't call you on the 6.5 genny because you told us not to... for all I know, you have a 3,600-watt battery charger that runs every time the generator does (not an uncommon configuration), which would leave you just 2,900 watts for your air -- not enough, as I just described.  Now, if you want to discuss that problem, we can, although perhaps a new thread would be appropriate.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 08:28:06 AM »

I agree with you both.  I think 6.5KW would be ideal for two rooftops and everything else with just a smidgen of management on occasion.  Its the 2.5KW inverter doing it that sticks.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: