Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:54:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: two roof top AC start coordinator/inhibitor current load minimizer SEAN?  (Read 2056 times)
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:35 AM »

I agree with you Barn Owl.  I am on my third rv with 6.5kw generator and have never had trouble running two air conditioners (13,500 and 12,000 btu). 

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »

...  Each of those draw 9 amps as I recall.  So to keep two running I would need 18 amps and that is a 2.2KW.  To run one and start the other I would need 18 amps start-up plus 9 amps to run or 27 amps from the inverter.  That translates to 3240KW for the inverter capacity. ...  What am I missing?

I think your numbers are off.

My 13,500 BTU/hr units draw about 13 amps each steady-state in average temperatures (more in sweltering heat, and a bit less in more temperate conditions).  They call for 20-amp HACR breakers and draw at least that much at start-up.  To run two of these would require a minimum 3.3 kW inverter -- 3.0 is too small.  Practically speaking, the next size up from 3 kW is 4 kW.

BTW, as I wrote in the other thread, I ran two of these A/Cs just fine on a 5 kW generator.  At 20 amps each for startup, even if they start together that's 4,800 watts.  It was a little Onan Marquis on a Fleetwood gasser.  I didn't call you on the 6.5 genny because you told us not to... for all I know, you have a 3,600-watt battery charger that runs every time the generator does (not an uncommon configuration), which would leave you just 2,900 watts for your air -- not enough, as I just described.  Now, if you want to discuss that problem, we can, although perhaps a new thread would be appropriate.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 08:28:06 AM »

I agree with you both.  I think 6.5KW would be ideal for two rooftops and everything else with just a smidgen of management on occasion.  Its the 2.5KW inverter doing it that sticks.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: