Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 05:13:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PD-4106 Conversion Pictures? ......Please Help!!!  (Read 4243 times)
mountain goat

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »

I recently purchased a 1965 PD-4106. I was suppose to be "all good". It was 60 miles from my house. I was able to drive it 30 miles before the engine overheated and had to have it towed the rest of the way home. Thankfully I only had to tow it 30 miles! Then came, "Do I scrap it or rebuild it?" Well......I'm half way thru my "in frame" overhaul and working on the interior while waiting on parts. Well ......the interior isn't in much better shape then the engine. I had to tear out half of the bathroom and part of the kitchen to replace bad 120v wires (chewed up by mice). So This sounds like a good time to gut the interior, create a layout we like better than the existing one. Also redo ALL of the electrical! I have abandoned the idea of taking a trip with it this year. I would like to have the bus completed by next May and I have a climate controlled warehouse to work on the bus.

With that said, I would like to see interior photos and baggage areas of some 4106's for some ideas. If anyone has some drawings or layouts of a 4106, I would be interested in seeing them too Smiley

I just received my copy of The Bus Converter's Bible (by Dave Galey) and will be reading it.

I'm in Kansas City, so if you have a 4106 I could look at in person, I would drive a ways with my tape measure and camera for ideas!

Thanks Everyone,
Brian

"We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle half way across Alabam'  ....  Well that Hound broke down and left us all stranded in downtown Birmingham"  ..... Elvis
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »

My feelings haven't changed much, this is from an old thread:

"I do not like the walk through bathrooms; my coach has a small bathroom with a door. There is enough room for one to do the three S's and change cloths. That leaves the back accessible; with a family of eight, that is important. One neat feature is that the door will swing open and block the front from the bath and the bedroom so that area can be blocked off if needed. Keep it functional, but where you spend the least amount of time dedicate the least amount of space.

Another feature I see that I don't like are kitchens that are too large. Plan on what you need and then cut that in half. So many builders get a grand idea that they are going to become a chef and overbuild and waste that area, never using it as planned. When we are on vacation, we don't have the time to make large complicated meals, and when we do, we like to do it outdoors. I have seen some coaches that have slide out kitchens in a bay. I like camp cooking, and we usually do it outside with Dutch ovens. My wife says she cooks enough as it is and vacation is a vacation from cooking for her. I understand that full timers might cook more, but I still think large kitchen areas are a lousy use of space that could be better used elsewhere. The kitchen is a great place to be creative with the counter tops and cabinets. Slide-out or folding counter top prep areas would be a good example of efficient use of limited space.

If you put a dinette in, I feel it should be on the passenger side. The side with the dinette usually has the most windows (I like lots of windows), and if used while you travel it's nice not to have to look out over the other lanes of traffic and the gawkers, but instead, see the scenery as it lazily passes by. As a driver, the low dinette and windows makes it easier to see an area that is difficult to see anyways. In addition, if you are at a campground, you want to see your side of the campsite, not your neighbors.

Finally, dedicate the most space to where you spend the most time and don't overdo it. Some of the nicest coaches I see are simple, elegant, and practical. Some people don't like dual use areas, but when you have a crowd like I do, it is a necessity. I am going to make the rear bed convertible, a U shaped lounge in the day would give me two living areas so as the adults visit in the front; the children can watch a movie or play games in the back.

One of my favorite features of my bus is that it still has the back window. At the beach I go to, the camping sites are directly on the dunes overlooking the water; these sites are back in sites. I love waking up to the eastern sun as it rises above the water, bathing the interior with light, and seeing it all through that big rear window. One day, unless I can find replacement rubber for it (Luke doesn't have it), it will have to come out. That will be a very sad day.

Enough rambling from me now, have fun with your project."

Came from here: Topic: This is your chance to design your dream coach

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »

Your inside plan is directly related to your usage. For a couple, as in cocktails for eight /dinner for four/sleeping for two, you usage is entirely different than for a family of eight as in previous post.

If you're gutting then do the job right: insulation, windows, heat and AC.
We believe in a relatively simple(plain) interior - formica walls, day/night shades, wood trim (light in color), pocket doors work well for privacy.
In an 06 you can get two windows on the side opposite the kitchen. Agree with previous post about views. Remember you have to deal with the wheel wells. Makes it tough in the rear bedroom tp avoid them unless you go to twin beds.
If you 'borrow' somebody's Bus Conversions collection that will give you a lot of ideas.

Good luck
Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

Good advice! That's so true about the kitchen size, I will take that to heart. Thank you for sharing that old post with me Barn Owl. I am planing on doing the job right. The bus already has 2 roof air units, but only chassis heat/defrost. Thank you Bill B / Bus for you post also, I like the idea of Formica walls, day/night shades etc. I'm still hoping some 4106 owners will post up some pictures for ideas. Either way I'm excited about this adventure and look forward to the project!

"We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle half way across Alabam'  ....  Well that Hound broke down and left us all stranded in downtown Birmingham"  ..... Elvis
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »

Mountain Goat get out and attend some "rally's' or in Kyle's case"non-rally" I can guarantee you that there will be several 4104's-06's at almost all of them! Then you can check them out in person.

You also will find SOB's (some other brands) to get ideas from too!
Grin  BK  Grin

I don't even have a non-revenue shell to convert yet, but I have many awesome ideas from looking at what others have done for when I do.

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »

Rally's sound great! Do they host them in the Midwest or will I need to travel farther?? Seeing them in person would really help "get the feel" of the layout. Thanks Busted Knuckle for the post Smiley

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

well where in the mid-west ?
I have held several here in west tn, christy & larry hicks have one in sw mo, and the mn gang usually have one or more a yr.
oh yeah don't forget about the tx round up paul lawry & friends host as well as the one dallas & cat just had.

FWIW I may see if we can use the local fair grounds and start an annual one right behind our current property since we lost our nice 15 acre spot to i-69!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
eddieboy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »

There must be something about Kansas.  I also bought my 4106 from a guy in Kansas.  "Wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country".  Well, almost 2 years later, I am within a couple of months of being done with the remodel.  The guy actually had screws going through the roof to hold up walls.  Lots of mold and water damage.  The entire interior came out and has been replaced.  With some good suggestions from these folks on the BB and a few trips to Bontragers, we are well on the way.  Ed

Ed Spohr/1962 PD4106/8V71/4Speed/Zion,Ill/Far North East Corner of Illinois
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:03 PM »

I will definitely keep my eyes open for a rally coming up! Ed, I feel your pain. My family had several trips planned this summer in the bus and we truly thought we were getting a "good one". But it's my fault for not knowing enough about the "beast" I was purchasing. I wish I had found this site BEFORE I decided to buy. (I'm the first one to say this ....right?) Oh well, I have a good foundation to build from and picked it up at what I still believe to be a decent price. The engine block and all of the pieces are ready for reassembly. Cylinder heads have been rebuilt with all new parts and new DD pistons, liners, gaskets etc. are on their way! I can't wait to have an interior plan and start on that. My wife is totally cool with the idea of gutting and rebuilding. She is quite happy with no travels this year in order to put a full press on getting the bus done by next May. (She really like the thing!  Grin) I'm excited about the project, excited about seeing other buses (especially other 4106's), and REALLY excited about finding this site!

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 03:34:39 AM »

use a Convection microwave instead of an oven

1 or 2 burner induction cook top.  if you do decide to cook, only heats pot and less heat into coach.,

Also Idea,  I am considering using all LED house lights when I redo my coach and let it the lighting have its own solar panel and battery and be an isolated system. Smiley

Don't try to wait until it is done to use it.  hang some sheets and steel tent it so it does not become a stagnant project.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:14:41 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
eddieboy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »

I will also put out some pictures when I am done.  I was so ashamed of myself for not doing more checking into the bus I was buying that I refuse to take pictures in progress. I am north of Chicago, right on the Wisconsin border, so if you are ever in the neighborhood, give me a ring and stop by.  Ed

Ed Spohr/1962 PD4106/8V71/4Speed/Zion,Ill/Far North East Corner of Illinois
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »

NewbeeMC9 ... Great suggestions! Thank You Smiley

Ed, Thank You for the invite. If I make it that way anytime soon, I will let you know. I would love to check out other 4106's.
I just signed up for the Bus Conversions Magazine today (print edition).

JLL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »

I have a 4106 that i get a lot of compliments on.  I have a lot photos that I took during the converstion.
If you will post an address I will send them to you.  I'm not smart enough to post them on the computor. 
 Leo Lewis
 Clovis, CA.
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 02:17:01 PM »

JLL, Thank You for the offer. Address sent in PM

bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »

E-mail pictures to Paul(dreamscape) and he will help get on board.  You must share. You also Leo.
  Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 04:19:47 PM »

Mountain Goat Texas Bus Round up  Sept 30-Oct 3 Durant OK. Google Texas Bus Round UP for details. Great group always welcomes newbes wannabes and willbes like me.

mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »

rwc, I can make it to that, where can I get more detailed information? How many buses usually show up? This is exactly what I need! 

Thanks, Brian

rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »

Go to Texas  Bus Round up site. also the information is in the online busconversions mag. There were over twenty buses last year and it has grown each year. Used to be held in Dennison Texas but got too large for available site so this year it will be in Durant OK. I plan to be there.

mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »

Sounds good, got it on the schedule! Grin

Debbie

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »

Hello!

Northern Minnesota get together last weekend in September (24-26), ALL welcome. Watch for the details, to be posted soon.

mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »

Will keep an eye out for that one also!

4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 06:04:29 AM »

not a 4106, but my 4905 had some ideas that might be of use to you. Smiley I agree with what others have said, convection microwave, and 2 burner stovetop.

http://s991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/zion-dyi/bus/
mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »

4905 doc, Thanks for sharing. Nice bus! Looks like my bus may end up being a combination of everyone else's!

ddarind

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »

Doc, where did you get your side windows that look like they fit in the factory location, but yours slide?

Darin
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »

Don't forget the "Jersy Transit" get to gether held in Joplin/Carthage, MO by Christy & Larry in the fall also!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

mountain goat

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »

That's really getting close to home Grin How can I get more information on the "Jersey Transit" rally also?

4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 06:14:34 AM »

Doc, where did you get your side windows that look like they fit in the factory location, but yours slide?

Darin

those were factory windows. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: