Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 04:12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clogged injectors?  (Read 3946 times)
scotty_vince

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:29:09 PM »

Maiden voyage after five years of sitting, idled fine for the past few months I have been gutting and replacing interior. Today was first time for me to take her out on the "big road". Started right up idled great as usual. Took off down the small road pretty strong. Got to the medium road and started lugging up hill as we pumped a huge black cloud of smoke on to the people behind me. I then stopped and put 20 gallons in before hitting the highway just in case. Started to get on the highway and it just got worse from there. As I pushed the pedal down it just felt like a plane falling out of the sky. 5 miles later we were limping home with no power and plenty of black smoke. The filters look fine, she will start right up and idle, but as soon as you want really move it's like having only one cylinder. Please help being a newbe is nerve racking.
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »

What engine do you have?

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:21:54 PM »

Fuel filters probably. And at that you may need to drain the existing fuel and start over. And then you may need to change filters again until you get the old crap out of your tanks.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »

lack of air--clogged air filter----shutdown flapper mostly closed----reset energency shutdown damper--

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
scotty_vince

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention what engine it was, that might be kinda helpful. It's a 6-71 Detroit in my 53 4104. As for the fuel issue I completely drained it and refilled with about 50 gallons. The filters were changed and I checked them after I got home and they seemed to be fine exept for a little crud where the intake to the primary is ( on top of the sock filter)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »

Did you change air filter????Black smoke is excessive fuel in the air fuel mix...easy fixs include  air filter or emergency shutdown damper tripped. then it gets expensive
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:54:12 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »

possible other causes: blower,Injector tips=it is basic in balance on fuel side and lack of enough air...

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »

I had my bus sitting for three years. I took her for a test drive around the block and hit it a little hard and could not see anything behind me because of the smoke. My smoke was white and it finally cleaned up after several miles of driving. I would have to say your issue is to rich of a mixture. Lack of air or injectors putting too much fuel in. I still have some white smoke on start up but goes away when warmed up. Hope you find an easy solution look for the obvious first like the nest in the aircleaner.

Good luck
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »

Maybe Dallas or Gus can help I believe the old GM buses have a washable filter before other filters

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 11:57:04 PM »

Another Knut in a recent post, that is still warm, cleared this problem by resetting his "engine shut down" thing that is in front of the blower.  Emergency Shut Down!  They seem to leak enuf air to allow the engine to attain fast idle.

You do not have a plugged filter and a fuel starvation problem.

Do you have a "Filter Minder"?  That would have told you at a glance whether you had a plugged air filter.  Neat device and will save a ton by letting you use a filter as long as you can without "periodic replacement".  Also tells you to change the filter, regardless of it's age, if it is restrictive.  I installed one of those Permanent Oiled Foam" filters and it cut my MPG in half and I could see through holes in the thing that were unobstructed.  Pure trash..no redeeming virtue. $45 dollars down the drain.  Filter Minder installed!!!!!!  And right on the dash with a remote kit so I will always know the truth when asked.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:26:14 AM »

My vote is restricted air, which should be easier to fix than faulty injectors.

Might have a nest in the air intake . . . . Mice can fit thru some small holes . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:59:02 AM »

Black smoke is incomplete combustion usually caused by not enough air getting into the engine. Check you air intake system for any restrictions/plugged air filter.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
scotty_vince

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »

I am going to check the air intake tonight after work. I will let you know if I find anything.
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 09:20:58 AM »

I am voting restricted air flow.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22:14 AM »

removed

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:24:49 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: