Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dometic Roof A/C  (Read 2821 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »

Songman,

Good pic.  That certainly is natural.

I had a Land cruiser with the inline six and it never got more than 15  or so.  I dearly loved that FJ55 but economical it wasn't.  What is it with inline six 4X4's?

I agree with what you said about the Eagle conversion being a hot ticket.  Had I known more about that one advertised for 29K recently I might be a Iggle owner by now.

I learned that that AC unit you picked up with the metal exhaust appendage....that metal is very soft aluminum ad is intended to be simply bent and pushed back up into the duct to allow for it to lay flat for shipping.  Whoo Knu?

Hope you can get your bus soon.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Songman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 10:28:07 AM »

My Waggy has the big ole 360 V8. I'm keeping a lookout for a diesel donor for it.

That A/C unit is sitting in my garage until we can find someone headed East to take it to TN. I straightened that duct out and like you say, it was very pliable.

We've still got plenty of room on our forum for Eagle owners so grab you one and come on over!  Cool

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »

JohnEd, that center fold Eagle may have not been a good buy for you somebody was looking out for you I heard through sources the person that bought it lost the engine in less than 400 miles  

good luck
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:41:10 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »

Clifford,

I read  your post very carefully.  You were guardedly optimistic and said it had been "out of your sight" for a couple years.  That was my read, anyway.  I pondered that awhile and got bad vibes from the either.  Nothing you said.  Even with a new engine it would not have been a bad deal for someone that could afford it.  Looked well done and I think you confirmed the quality of the construction.

Thank you for your comments and help,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »

Songman,

I had that very engine in my Jeep and a Turbo 400 trans was behind it.  J19 and it got around 20 mpg and went like a bat.  Try a spread bore "Thermoquad" or "Quadrajet".  If you have that FORD carb get rid of it....Autolite, I think.  If you don't have a spread bore intake manifold then that is another item to pick up.

Drain the "tar" out of the differential and replace it with synthetic.  $15.  Replace the oil in the trans with syn and the transfer case as well.  Don't go UP a notch on the viscosity but stay with the thinnest the book calls for.  Your distributor is shot unless you changed it.  Get a speed shop item that is curved for off road.  Mallory, MSD, whatever.  VAC advance with cent. Silicone plug wires.  Filter minder....you keep those when you trade or junk but till then you make sure the system isn't being choked off and never waste a dime on an unnecessary filter change.

I think you can do the oil for less than $50.  Minder for 27 on EBay.  Distributor for $25 used and the Mal and such are rebuildable but should go 50 Kmiles before needing service.

MAKE SURE your vac advance is connected to the correct port on the carb.  Manifold vac will chop 30% off your MPG.  That was a great engine.  Not what I would choose to rebuild but still a little torquey power house.  The 400 Cid version is a direct bolt in replacement when that time comes.

Vac gauge will verify the carb mix at different throttle settings and alert you to tune problems as they are building.  I once caught a wheel bearing going out because the vac was reading 12 when it usually read 13 so mine paid for itself many many times over with that one heads up.

I like my gauges and the data they let me mull over.

—Pla
Songman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 04:33:25 PM »

Thanks JohnEd. That is some good info. I have several of these old FSJs. The J10 truck has the exact setup you described. This particular GW we are talking about has a 727 trans. I will follow your guidelines for both to see if I can improve my mileage. Thanks.

1992 Prevost XL-45
Nashville, TN
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: