Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 20, 2014, 08:22:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1960 GMC  (Read 3078 times)
Outlaw

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:27:54 PM »

ok, this is another one i am looking at. anyone have any ideas on it? speak up, let me know what ya think. thanks

Outlaw

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/rvs/1789168530.html

i have not seen this yet. have e-mailed the owner to get more info. will let ya know what i find out.

John and Colleen
Bothell, WA
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »

Do you want a transit? Not at that price you don't. Sounds like it has a VS2 tranny (Parts are getting hard to find), and I doubt it has a 92 series DD. My guess by the way the ad is written, and the shoot for the moon asking price, the owner doesn't know much about it. I would keep looking. At that price you can find some nice intercity conversions. What are you looking for exactly and what is your budget?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:45:41 PM »

If you NEVER came west of Interstate 25, then you probably could get away with the 2 spd transmission.  In the mountains, you'd probably burn up the transmission on the long grades.  On a V drive, I'd only consider a V730 since it is a modern design with torque converter lockup, and it still is easy to get parts for them.  Keep looking.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »

I remember riding those things many years ago from Washington DC out to the VA suburbs. Those shifts were really clunky and jerky, it is a poor choice except on level ground at low speeds.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:58:23 AM »

I remember riding those things many years ago from Washington DC out to the VA suburbs. Those shifts were really clunky and jerky, it is a poor choice except on level ground at low speeds.

I take offense to that.  A GMC Transit may not be your first choice for a conversion but I am quite happy with mine.  It shifts like any other Allison automatic and it will run 65 mph all day long. Slow in the hills but I'm not in a hurry.  Also it has a nice headroom close to 6' 10". 

That being said, the one listed on CL may be geared for 53mph and at $13,000 it is overpriced.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:06:31 AM »

I want to know more about the "old style Detroit V-92 engine that has a reputation for running 2-3 million miles".

You'd think that with as much time I've spent reading up on these things, I'd have seen something about that by now.  Wink  Roll Eyes  Grin  Grin  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:32:27 AM »

Quote from: kyle4501
I want to know more about the "old style Detroit V-92 engine that has a reputation for running 2-3 million miles".

You'd think that with as much time I've spent reading up on these things, I'd have seen something about that by now.  Wink  Roll Eyes  Grin  Grin  Grin

Wink

LOL! I thought the same thing! Ya know they claim the 60 series to be "a million mile engine".  So I'm curious why they quit making the superior 2 strokes?  Wink Grin

As for the 92 series it could very well be one that was transplanted. (I don't think the 92 was produced yet in 1960)
But there were lots of transit agencies that used govt. grants and funds to "re-power" to "cleaner, more fuel efficient engines" (still do, whenever uncle sam has his check book out! Wink)

As for the VS2 if it were me, I'd prefer a V730! But then again if it were really me I'd prefer a T drive 60 series and B500 trans. (of course my prefers and wallet don't see alike!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »

Most 2 stroke engines will go 2-3 million miles.  But-with an overhaul every 500,000 miles, rebuilding the blower every 300,000 miles, replacing the injectors every 300,000 miles, rolling in new bearings every 200,000 miles, tuning it every 100,000 miles, and replacing the heads as they crack.

New 4 stroke Diesels, like the DD13, DD15, DD16 have 50-60,000 mile oil changes, 100,000 mile fuel filter replacement with the use of the Davco 482 fuel/water separator, and 100,000 mile valve adjustment.  No other maintenance needed up and beyond a failed part.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »

Your correct, but the ad doesn't imply that, which is why I didn't go there!
Truth be known ANY engine can last 2-3 million miles with enough overhauls and $ Smiley !
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »

Your correct, but the ad doesn't imply that, which is why I didn't go there!
Truth be known ANY engine can last 2-3 million miles with enough overhauls and $ Smiley !
Grin  BK  Grin

Too bad they can't do that with Humans...... Roll Eyes

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:38 AM »

Tom, is it not assumed that the 'life' of something is the time or distance between major repairs? I'll give a pass on adjustments & minor part replacement. I'll even allow rebuilding the heads & replacing injectors to be considered minor. But, I'll have to draw the line when it comes to replacing the piston kits.

Yep, as written, the add implies the motor won't need anything for as long as you own it. That implication sets the tone for the rest of the add. I ain't saying it's junk, or even over priced. I am saying to use caution as the guy selling it apparently doesn't care if his statements are misleading.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

I can over look the "6v92" but that along with the rest of the ad shows the owner is not very knowledgeable about buses.  It probably has the same engine/tranny as mine.  6v71 & VH9.  The VH9 has a simple shifter on the floor (R-N-F) I think the VS2 trannys had push button selectors (I might be wrong here).  Anyway it does not have enough power to pull a greasy string out of a cats rear but it will get you where you are going.  Cosmetically the bus looks to be in good shape.  If you are looking for a bus for weekend adventures within a few hundred mile radius it might be suitable.

Kyle,
If anyone else picks on my Fishy to hard I might have to give them the "Four Choices" speech.....

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »

Grin Grin Grin

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »

Quote from: buddydawg

Kyle,
If anyone else picks on my Fishy to hard I might have to give them the "Four Choices" speech.....

Brandon, I wasn't picking on yer "fishy"!
I believe different strokes for different folks! (some folks are just WAY different then others! Wink
Besides I like fish, had some for supper last night! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Outlaw

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »

lol, this has been great. i e-mailed this guy and asked alot of ?'s and that was 2 days ago. either some sucker bought the bus or this guy is full of you know what and has not responded back to me. lol. thats all i got to say about this.

thanks all for the info and the livly chat. gave me alot of knowledge. thanks.

Outlaw

John and Colleen
Bothell, WA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »

Brandon,

No offense intended, just telling you what I remember from long ago as a paying passenger in many, many of them!!

It is probably not any slower than my 4104 but it seemed to spend an awful lot of time in first gear.

If I were in a hurry I would never have gotten a 4104!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »

Here in Roanoke we have a club called Commonwealth Coach & Trolley Museum, Inc and they have some serious Transit Groupies. No one with a transit should ever get an inferiority complex (same with the Eagle group LOL). They just have their pros and cons like everything else. Because I own a GM, I have to be extra careful not to make those who own other makes feel unworthy. Other GM owners will tell you it's not easy to do, but over time, we have learned to better connect with the common man.  Cheesy

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »

Laryn -

Because I own a GM, I have to be extra careful not to make those who own other makes feel unworthy. Other GM owners will tell you it's not easy to do, but over time, we have learned to better connect with the common man.

Does that mean that GM owners are uncommon men?  Huh

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »

Let them eat cake I say! .....Oops, I slipped! Sorry. Embarrassed

irstaxhelp
1960 GMC 4104

1960 GMC 4104

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »

Interested in buying mine?

1960 GMC 4104 Bus Conversion

steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »

" pull a greasy string out of a cats a*s".......lol........and gross..!.....    That one I think I'll remember.........you guys!........everybody funny......

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »

BO has expressed it far better than I ever could!!

And, yes , it does that mean that GM bus owners are uncommon men!!

We do try to be humble though!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »

Irstaxhelp,

Very nice looking 4104. Very usable interior and pleasing to the eye. That little bathroom window is just too cute! Good find!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: