Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 09:49:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting new reed valves in my A/C compressor anything I should watch for?  (Read 4125 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »

Alright you guys win... Uncle... I give up. All you guys who chimed in were giving sound advice and  although it took me awhile I am onboard.

I looked into what a rebuild actually means and the parts alone would cost in 1k range. New crank, new rods and pistons, new oil pump (expensive!) it just doesn'tmake sense to replace the reed valves (I still say that changing out these kits is simple so nah nah nah nah nah LOL) and one piston for $350 dollars with no warranty doen't make sense. So, there you have it, A busnut fully admits that he was wrong, alert the media!

I had visions of the 8V92 and the bill just getting longer and longer and longer... gulp!

Scanzel, you are obviously in a different tax bracket than I'm in  Grin Grin I would resort to fans and ice cubes before i would spend that much. Although if you're fulltiming it may make sense.

I'm not exactly sure when but I'll buy a rebuild soon. (probably right about the time summer's over!)

Thanks for the advice boys... It takes me awhile but I eventually get the picture.

Gumpy, knock it off, quit laughing so much, your on vacation for crying out loud! We can hear you all the way from Wyoming.
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »

What about a good take out. I hear about people abandoning these over the road systems.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 01:59:31 PM »

Rick I thought I had an old round head compressor laying around that I got from Captain Ron/Charley Davidson but after looking and looking for it I can no longer put my hands on it!
Sorry.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »

Rick,

I think you will eventually determine that the stock OTR is not a good deal from the standpoint of drag on the engine and MPG.  Convert to the auto compressor and modify your sys to allow for that.  Nobody has documented that adventure as yet that I know of. How about it?

One or two compressors?

Model and make compressor. Scroll or recip?

Do you need to replace the OTR condenser with smaller auto size units?

Tonnage or cubic inch displacement sized?

Use original evap unit for driver?

Two zone or use the coach evaps?

Use original condenser fans or put the new condenser in the side of the engine bay?

How do you size the components?

Is there a better refrigerant that 134 that could be used?

If you go this way I think you would serve many to document the travel.  Just seat of the pants, what do you think a couple used compressors and a condenser and a NEW filter dryer and freon would set you back in your neck of the woods.  If you had a rough plan maybe some could help you out with parts and hopefully info.  A good auto AC shop should have the info at the ready.  I am not doing this and, God willing, I will never have to.....but I will research some of the answers with you and at least verify what you find if you want me to.

HuhHuhHuh

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »

Hey all,

I am really leaning toward the complete rebuild. I really feel that once in a while a maintenance issue just makes sense to go all in. I have researched the parts and still think that when you consider what the rebuild entails which is comparable to a full out of frame rebuild it just doesn't make sense to buy a used one that I know nothing about. They offered to sell me a good take out for $750 but for the extra $750 to get a rebuilt you get NEW pistons,valve kits, crankshaft, rods, oil pump and all the rod and head bolts are new as well and they throw in a warranty. This is not an inframe repair where they fix it if it looks bad this is the full meal deal.

John I'm sure Nick and David Benck could help and may even be interested in designing a more efficient system but I know just enough about this subject to get myself in trouble. I always love the redesign spirit here on the board but frankly I can barely feel a difference in power and I don't think I saw a mpg change that couldn't be attributed to a slight headwind. I'm sure it was burning more fuel but not enough to make a big difference to us. We just don't put the miles on we used to because of time constraints and really the biggest reason I wouldn't change it is that my bus AC when it's working, will give you hypothermia? I mean it get's really, really and very quickly.

I still haven't pulled the trigger because I'm mulling it over and researching options and frankly we are heading towards fall and my house AC and my genset are working fine, not optimum but fine, on anything but the hottest of days so I'm not in a hurry.

I think I'll start to plan on about 2-4k in maintenance a year on my bus and if it turns out that at some point I can't afford that I'll get out of the bus habit. I'll probably have to join busaholics anonymous or something to quit though Grin

This really is an addiction... (Great I can see it now, I walk into a hotel room and find all my friends and relatives staging a bus "intervention"!)

Laugh all you want but if you're reading this, part of you agrees with me... Shocked

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: