Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 05:19:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing posts  (Read 3332 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »

I believe there isn't any black or white, only shades of grey. So exactly who gets to decide if something isn't directly related?
Many times I have seen replies that, at first look didn't apply, but later were a huge part of the solution.

Do you think it is wise to take advice from a stranger? Sure, people can claim education, degrees & certifications. Those are easy to fake. It ain't the education that matters, it's what you do with it!

We each have our own style, the banter & beating around the bush adds color to who we are and lends credibility to (or minimizes) our opinions.

Without the humor & color, this board wouldn't be nearly as wide read or have half the members it does.

I believe it is a sad state of affairs when more emphasis is placed on words than on the actions behind them. It used to be people were encouraged to grow up & to tolerate those with differing opinions & to respect others - even if they were wrong. Now it seems people are being taught to be offended if someone doesn't agree with them.
Respect is not a birth right, it is something you earn.

Cody, well said.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:10:31 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »

Well, there you have it from Cody, always to voice of tolerance and compromise.  Generally, I would agree that things are pretty good as they are.  Certainly there are comments that violate the mission of the board, but the members do a pretty good job of staying in bounds.  The moderators seem to jump in when that fails.  Perfect?  No, but good enough for bus work.  

I am sorry to hear about Dallas.  He is a wealth of information and knowledge.  I do not know what provoked his action.  I do know that sometimes members follow up their online disputes with nasty emails.  Strangely enough, the ones that I have been told about dealt with mechanical issues, not Off Topic.  It's amazing what people can get hot about.  It is truly disappointing that Dallas deleted all his past posts since that would seem to imply that he blamed everyone for whatever the issue was.  So, I would say that there should be a time limit on the ability to do that without a moderator's help.  Maybe something like a couple of weeks after the topic becomes dormant.

By the way, have you ever tried cooking without stirring the pot?

I believe there isn't any black or white, only shades of grey.

I can see that leading to all sorts of wiring problems!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »

I am sorry to hear about Dallas.  He is a wealth of information and knowledge.  I do not know what provoked his action.

One of his last posts mentioned a name as to why he would not post anything about engines.  That's all I remember.

I too am sorry to see Dallas go.  I thought he had some very good answers and analysis that was backed up by wrench turning experience.  The best kind of experience.

Come back, Dallas, you have many friends here.

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »

I think I am on this board probably more than anybody. You never see my green light off. I have anywhere from one to three computers on it at all times depending where I am. One of the things I like is the comradery about buses. I feel everyone here is my cyber friend. All topics posted should be locked in. I don't care if good or bad information. The bad information is what brings out the right information. I have had crazy ideas and someone has thought the same as me. It does not take long before someone steps in and corrects it or adds to it to come up with a good answer. So even the bad is good here. At the same time If you see a post that does not seem right on what you think is on topic DON'T OPEN IT. Please do not waist your 5 minutes reading about something that totally takes your mind off of your bus. God forbid you loose your train of thought. I also know I have lots of friends and they come over and help me with my bus or car and as you could imagine we sometimes bring up something stupid while we are work. I have never had someone get mad and go home with their tools. This is more than just a place to stop by every couple of days and be able to build your dream bus. It is about having people here to help when you need it. If you ask a question and your answer does not come in the way you want it in the same post ask again. I like the strong willed people here and that is part of what makes it fun. Every five to ten min I refresh to see what is new or who said what and if you get down to the nut and bolts of it their is just a handful that are even here with something to say. The rest are just reading hoping something is brought up that they can use. Get on about 11pm and see how slow it gets. Take away the small group that hangs out here and gets off topic a little bit or allot and you will see there is no reason to even log on. You won't have the answers when you need them or want them because they won't be here. Are you sure you want them to go to another board so they can talk while waiting on your much needed question. So if the small group that participates here (compared to the number of members on here) want to poke at their buddy or lighten the subject, I SAY LET THEM. If you don't like it don't sit here and read. Come to ask your questions only
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:45:14 PM by eddiepotts » Logged
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »

Some good points in your post that I had not thought about Eddiepotts.

wasting bandwith crying about it detracts from the board and takes up space on drives

In this day and age those items are not really an issue as they were in days past. Especially storage cost, which now are almost nothing.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »

EddiePotts,

You rock!

thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 05:20:41 AM »

Eddiepotts has happily said about what I also feel.  I think this place is, or could be, about as close to sitting around a campfire, shooting the breeze, as it's possible to get in an on-line forum.  I've tried to contribute about things I think I know a little about, confident that if I get a little bit wrong, or a lot wrong, someone else will fill in the blanks.  I've also asked a lot of questions and value the answers and feedback.

But lately I have decided that even if I know 80% of the answer to something, I'm not going to post anymore.  If you're not perfect, or posting about something that's just an opinion and not a fact, you get stepped on.  That's fine, that's up to me to decide.  It's a plain fact of life that someone knows more than I do about everything, so I'm not an expert, just a guy who pays attention and tries to learn and share what I've learned.  I do reserve the right to change my mind later.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 06:21:26 AM »

I've tried to contribute about things I think I know a little about, confident that if I get a little bit wrong, or a lot wrong, someone else will fill in the blanks.  I've also asked a lot of questions and value the answers and feedback.

But lately I have decided that even if I know 80% of the answer to something, I'm not going to post anymore.  If you're not perfect, or posting about something that's just an opinion and not a fact, you get stepped on.  That's fine, that's up to me to decide.  It's a plain fact of life that someone knows more than I do about everything, so I'm not an expert, just a guy who pays attention and tries to learn and share what I've learned.  I do reserve the right to change my mind later.

Brian

And that is what I have been referring to.  I have talked to a lot of people on the phone that when I invite them to participate in the forum they express something similar.  Most folks don't mind correction of details or ommissions, but the perceived tone is usually the offensive part.  I use the word "perceived" because I am convinced that many times it wasn't intended to be a put down by the one writing it, but can be read that way.

I'm not suggesting "political correctness".  Just courtesy.  And when you post a correction or critical response to someone, try reading it first as if it were something someone else had written to see how it sounds.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »

Eddiepotts has happily said about what I also feel.  I think this place is, or could be, about as close to sitting around a campfire, shooting the breeze, as it's possible to get in an on-line forum.

I've tried to contribute about things I think I know a little about, confident that if I get a little bit wrong, or a lot wrong, someone else will fill in the blanks.  I've also asked a lot of questions and value the answers and feedback.

That is exactly the way I feel and thank you for sharing that.

But lately I have decided that even if I know 80% of the answer to something, I'm not going to post anymore.  If you're not perfect, or posting about something that's just an opinion and not a fact, you get stepped on. 

Now that is truly disapointing...to me. You are one of those that I enjoy seeing pop up in a thread.  If you have ever thought I did that please understand that you have me 180 out.  It is a campfire...of sorts.  If you feel you ave been dealt with harshly please say so and ask THAT question.  If you have you will get support from the masses and the person offending will almost certainly clairify.  Problem might be that you don't want to appear wussy about your "feelings".  So look where that has gotten many many people that carry a complete missunderstanding for years as a burden.  On the other hand, I think it would be heartening to you to see others support your position or validate your impression.  I see you doing exactly that in this post.

That's fine, that's up to me to decide.  It's a plain fact of life that someone knows more than I do about everything, so I'm not an expert, just a guy who pays attention and tries to learn and share what I've learned.  I do reserve the right to change my mind later.

I am not qualified to judge your expertise but I do know that you contribute and inspire others to do so as well.  And sometimes the question is even more important than the answer.

Brian

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »

Brian

And that is what I have been referring to.  I have talked to a lot of people on the phone that when I invite them to participate in the forum they express something similar.  Most folks don't mind correction of details or ommissions, but the perceived tone is usually the offensive part.  I use the word "perceived" because I am convinced that many times it wasn't intended to be a put down by the one writing it, but can be read that way.

I'm not suggesting "political correctness".  Just courtesy.  And when you post a correction or critical response to someone, try reading it first as if it were something someone else had written to see how it sounds.

—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »

From HTRN:  I'm not suggesting "political correctness".  Just courtesy.  And when you post a correction or critical response to someone, try reading it first as if it were something someone else had written to see how it sounds.

Sage advice indeed.   Also consider that the poster is making a attempt at humor.  That's an often missunderstood comodity.  Or that in spite of seven reads he still doesn't see anything offensive or even off color.  Or maybe he was actually trying to be critical but in a nice sorta way.  Or....lotsa stuff.  On the other hand you might be a touch paranoid because of something the mailman said to you this morning.  POINT BEING... ask them what they meant and discuss the issue mano on mano.  Off line by PM of course.  If you are shy you can't be here and posting so try confronting the ISSUE.  Maybe you can't bear the thought of speaking directly and while I sympathize with their workload that is what moderators are for.  Ask them if "that post"  had a discorant ring to it....or whatever.  They are, bottom line, interested in your being motivated to participate.  And feeling all warm and snuggly, too. Huh Grin Kiss  (that was humor!!!!)

John

—Pla
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »

I'm with Eddie, Kyle and Cody (except for that disparaging remark from Cody about GM's.  Angry  lol  Grin) and voted as such.
Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
cody

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »

Grin Grin Grin I'm filled with remorse (among other things lol)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:53:49 AM by cody » Logged
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »

Evening cody

I guess the reason some of us poor folks drive gms  is that the rust ate up most of the iggles.
LOL LOL 

poor gary even drives a class C because of the rust.

I hope people know that you can never pay attention to any thing that i say.

have a nice day.

uncle end 

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »

Ned totally off topic.. Bring it back lol Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: