Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 01:08:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cummins HP rating  (Read 7351 times)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »

You may be right about DEERE and the series 60 way back then. No matter, GM sold DETROIT to Roger Penske in 1988 and Penske sold it to DAIMLER in 2000. I guess old Roger thought that playing with race cars was more fun than playing with bus engines. I would be surprised if MAXXFORCE(NAVISTAR( engines show up as options on MCI at some point. I've read that MAXXFORCE will be the sole engine for the BCI FALCON 45.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »

I didn't know Detroit had rethought their paln to only supply engines to companies owned by Diamler.  Does Detroit get better MPG to justify the higher price?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:29 AM »

You guys are truly great.  I can't afford to buy answers like I have gotten here.  And, I know whereof I speak cause I used to pay contractors and engineers to do that in my past life.

Soooooo, my take on this is to find a 98 ISL calibrated for 500HP and coupled to a B500.  Best choice due to it being lighter, having a variable pitch turbo for faster spooling and low rpm power, smaller dimension, plentiful and reasonably priced, high efficiency and that RED VALVE COVER. Can I do better?  Your suggestion?

I think a 98 ISL would be a legal swap into any bus manufactured in 98 or prior....true?

Thank you all.  I think your posts will become a valued reference for any future repower adventure.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »

Ahoy, John,

I have a Cummins M-11 400hp which I installed in my Eagle-01 --  now at ~~55,000 miles.
I am very pleased with the engine but wish it incorporated the SAE -J1939 protocol so that I could install an Eaton-Fuller AutoShift transmission to replace my ten speed RoadRanger OD.  Good mileage  -  indeed, so good that if I say so in public, the DD two cycle/old Allison  guys are apt to take a 2X4 to me!!!

A Cummins ISM -  before EGR --would be a great choice, and is physically much smaller than the DD-60.

BTW the Cummins people (Cummins West San Leandro CA) have been very nice to work with, and the present price to re-program a main engine computer --ECM --  is about $140.00 .  Compare that with some of the stories from the DD guys.   

I got a spare ECM a year ago  -- for $750 from    Wholesale  --  Portland   800 547 1315    Still needs to be re-programed to my CPL, --  but runs just fine for a ride home.
With  a carried spare, a failure on the road  is thereby not such a big and costly event.  The ECM built in test will establish any fault with a component or sensor --  which usually is not seriously costly, and if the computer itself dies, just swap it.

Enjoy   /s/   Bob 
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:31:55 AM »

I founda similar article about MCI. http://firechief.com/news/detroit_diesel_0112/
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/dtna-to-offer-detroit-diesel-engines-to-us-manufacturers-13833.html
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »

Hi John,
I'm running an 2000 ISM and Eaton Autoshift in my 1985 MCI 96A3.  I really like the engine!  It performs very well and runs reliably.  You my get more details of my swap from my website.  Here is a direct link to the engine swap page:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ediehls0792_1/BusSection10.html

Let me know if you have any questions.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »

John-the ISL in not available in 500hp.  The ISM is.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »

Tom,

I miss spoke.  I meant ISM  Thank, though. No doubt you cleared up a lot of confusion.  Chalk it up to my being diss lex ick.  Or tghe Mad Cow thing.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »

Brian,

I followed your adventure with great intetest.  Glad for the update on the MPG.....9 is great.

Did you ever get the trans to start out in a gea higher than 2nd or did the ceramic clutch jinx that?

Thanks again for all the info in you priceless site.  It has been greatly uopdated since I last visited.  But, where is te pi of your wife pushing the new engine into the engine bay.  I have never forgotten that.  Whatta gal!

John

—Pla
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 04:25:01 PM »

Brian,

I followed your adventure with great intetest.  Glad for the update on the MPG.....9 is great.

Did you ever get the trans to start out in a gea higher than 2nd or did the ceramic clutch jinx that?

Thanks again for all the info in you priceless site.  It has been greatly uopdated since I last visited.  But, where is te pi of your wife pushing the new engine into the engine bay.  I have never forgotten that.  Whatta gal!

John

Hi John,

Yes, last summer I had Freightliner reprogram the autoshift to allow starts up to 5th gear - the max start gear of the autoshift.  I now regularly start out in 3rd gear and if on a slight down hill will use 4th.  Yes, the ceramic clutch makes it hard to be smooth, but I have gotten pretty used to it now.  Sorry on the picture, but I had more relevant pictures I wanted to share in my limited web space.  :-)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: