Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 08:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet Sanding Finally Finished!!!  (Read 1104 times)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »

I have finally finished wet sanding the lower stainless on the bus!  Grin Grin I am going to try including a picture again (first was too large because I was trying to include too much detail) so you can see my progress. I still have several grades of rouge to buff into it, but I am finally done with the bucket of water and cheesy black hands that are shriveled into prunes  Sad If you look close at the picture, you can see a band directly beneath the paint that I didn't finish for fear of accidently injuring the paint and causing more harm than I can fix. This project has taken most of my spare time for the past three years, but I learned something from it--in the future, hire someone with a small brain and a strong back! Grin
It's all good, Will

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »

Will,

Looking good! If you use some good 2" masking tape (I like 3M) and mask the paint it will protect it from the accidental slip. As long as you don't get to aggressive and slip to far  Grin I use it when buffing and don't want to accidentally get another area.

Bryan
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »

Will
Looks terrific!! I know what you are going through, I started mine in January and am nearly finished. I used 320, then 600 then 1200 paper, then went through black, white and blue rouge.  I have no idea how many hours I have spent nor how many jeans, tee shirts and shorts I have ruined from the "dust" but I got to believe it is a lot. Anyway, one trick I learned along the way, after polishing with the black rouge, spray the area liberally with windex (cheap generic is just as good in my experience) and polish until the black is all off then wipe clean. There is something in the windex that really causes the SS to sparkle. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »

I've spent a lot of time polishing many items. You are right. Probably smarter to let someone else do it. But I wouldn't have enjoyed the results near as much! Sometimes the journey is the best part!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »

The journey is definitely the best part!  Grin There is nothing to compare to the pride I feel when someone comments on how good it's looking. I will definitely try the Windex when I get to that point. Someone once suggested using brake fluid to remove the excess rouge from around the rivets and it took the shine right off. I used 320, 400,600,1000, and then finished off with 1200. I buffed with ECR rouge (Emery 5-Dico product) after each grit of paper to see if I would be happy with it before continuing on to the next grit. After 1000 grit I was happy, but went ahead with the 1200 for good measure LOL. I'm a glutton for punishment  Cheesy
It's all good, Will  Grin

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »

Actually on bike parts I polished I used brake cleaner to remove all the black crap that got in hard to reach areas. Warning however... do not use around painted surfaces. Try some laquer thinner. It works pretty good.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »

I appreciate the recommendation Scott, but I think I'll stick to the glass cleaner first. I really don't mind a little black around the rivets; it's kind of a badge of honor LOL
Thanks, Will

steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:18:19 PM »

when the brightwork on a bus is in bristol contition it is awesome !

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: