Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 01:42:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing a Vehicle  (Read 3031 times)
darrenayres

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »

REMCO is the company that said I couldn't tow the S-10 without one of their disconnects. I can and did. As far as the power draw with the ignition switch on, I pulled a couple of fuses and that fixed that problem. It also shut off the odometer. Wink

Darren
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »

Jerry,

Yes, 4 down is the easiest and quickest way to tow.

No hassels with storing a trailer or dolly...

If you have to back up its quick to release and connect a roadmaster or blue ox tow bar.

I have been in some situations, and was able to backup with the jeep a few feet. enough to be able to complete a turn.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 10:20:42 AM »

i found it best to have someone in my Tahoe at the steering wheel when I had to back up any distance. The steering wheel is of course always unlocked for towing. With the engine running she could maintain the wheel in the straight ahead (back) position and I could back up several feet, even make a slight curve without any problem. Just nothing fancy.
I many times found myself in the position at a Flying J to have to park behind a truck and then have to back straight out when I wanted to leave. I never had to uncouple to get out of this situation.
Richard

Jerry,

Yes, 4 down is the easiest and quickest way to tow.

No hassels with storing a trailer or dolly...

If you have to back up its quick to release and connect a roadmaster or blue ox tow bar.

I have been in some situations, and was able to backup with the jeep a few feet. enough to be able to complete a turn.

Nick-

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 08:59:16 PM »

I looked for the file with no luck but I'll try to see if i could give you an idea from memory.  I have an Oddysey I wanted to tow it and you'res may be different now.  I did not see the pilot on the round up on towing world but the CR-v was there.

to recirculate was to start the engine then put in drive for 4 minutes min. then put in to neutral, do not go past neutral to reverse even slightly, if you do go back to drive and start again, and then let it sit in neutral for 2 minute sand shut the engine off leaving the key in acc position. 

again from a bad memory

hth

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JerryH

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 06:07:20 PM »

Ok, revisiting the towing the Element thing.

If not "flat tow", what about a tow unit for the front wheels only?
http://www.demco-products.com/Pages/rv.html#Anchor-Tow-It-61748
http://www.demco-products.com/Pages/RV/kkss.htm

I think this thing has a tongue weight of about 100#. 

Any pro's, con's, etc.  I do understand the comment before about "where to put" a trailer once 'there".
And the big one of the tongue weight on the rear of the bus.

100# sounds fine, but still need to find a home for "it".  Aside from that, any other thoughts?

I like the idea of not having to do much or anything to my car.  In fact, could easily take wife's Honda if we desired.

Thanks,
Jerry H.
jaybe_2

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 06:46:06 PM »

darrenayres The reason Remco told you not to tow the S-10 5 speed is the output shaft bearing is not lubricated properly when towing in neutral. This is not to say you will have a problem, they just dont want it on their head if you do. I personaly think towing with all 4 wheels down is the best way to go. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: