Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:29:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiper Qs ?  (Read 1267 times)
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »

My air wipers will clash with each other, actually hit each other in the middle.  Would this be slop in the  units and is there a way to adjust this ?  Or rebuild kits ?The arms seem to be in the right place on the spindle,  the blades overrun slightly  on both sides

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »

Can't you just slightly change the mounting position?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »

I just had my wiper motors apart and can't see any way to make them travel more or less. I would check to make sure that you have the right wiper size?

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
steve wardwell

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »

was reading the archives and found the throw is set. I just took a look at what it would be to get to them. Yikes. Maybe shorter arms would help.. They run well,park well enough and don't seem to waste excessave air so I would like to leave them in and try new arms.   thanks............s.........

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »

One thing that I found when I had mine apart was the mounting bracket for the drivers side was broken and needed welded. I am not sure what effect this may have but may allow extra travel.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »

On my Sprague wiper arms the black plastic piece that connects the two arms, on which the wiper blade itself is attached, had excessive slop and play in its pivots.   Because these two pivots are peened in place and cannot be tightened, I ground them off and used stainless bolts, nylon washers and stainless nylok nuts instead.   Now the wiper blade is vertical throughout its travel, perpendicular to the glass, and doesn't chatter and vibrate across the windshield.

I also noticed that the pivot post for the alignment arm (as opposed to the output shaft from the motor that the drive arm is attached to) was slightly bent, and this greatly affects the verticality of the wiper blade.   Judicious "cold-setting" of it also improved the blades' alignment.

Maybe these two things are affecting your wiperblades' proximity to each other.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
steve wardwell

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:18:47 PM »

looking closer I'll first try to move  the starb side 1 spline over. this may give clearance in the middle if not I could go more splines on both and change out the blades to a smaller leanth so as not to run off the outside edges on the bottom  of the arc.  thanx for the hep..........s...........

Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »

Had that on a Buffalo. Verified correct length arms installed. Rebuilt air motors. Replaced all bushing/bearing on wiper arms. Replaced control valves.That cured all the problems. No more banging in the middle. Smooth action regardless of wiper speed or bus speed.
Still have to do that to the MCI. Its not a fun job. But not a difficult one.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »

Not sure as to what you have for a bus. My ole MCI had adjustments on the arms that were very easy to set.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
steve wardwell

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »

We have a mci 7 with a cap. I'm not even sure if its a windshield from a 7 or a 8, that part was done when we got her. Today I moved the arms on the splines so now it MIGHT clear not sure yet...But now I need smaller blades so I wont run off the ends. I have 20 inchers and will try some 18s. Went on line and I don't find any with the triangle on the back of the blades for the 2 arm  set up I have. Am I supposed to remove then  add the triangle myself to the new blades? Any sources for these in a 18"?........thanx..............s....

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »

My 7 has a R and M cap with 9 windshields according to advise I got here from Hobe. I'm thinking I have  18" wipers and they barely cover 1/2 the windshield from top to bottom but that is more than enough. A lot of windshield for sure!!! Some will disagree and it's not an ideal cure all but RainX sure helps cure any wiper problems I encounter. The key word is "helps".

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »

Hmm. Maybe this is why so many of the older buses (15-30 years old) I have seen down here do not even have a passenger-side wiper! Is one required on that side in the U. S.?

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
steve wardwell

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »

It is if you want to use the starboard mirror.Or if the queen wants to see out...    (and I think we both know the answer to that) !..........LOL
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:04:47 PM by steve wardwell » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »

My air wipers will clash with each other, actually hit each other in the middle.  Would this be slop in the  units and is there a way to adjust this ?  Or rebuild kits ?The arms seem to be in the right place on the spindle,  the blades overrun slightly  on both sides

BOTH!  The bushings wear but the mst effect is from the limit adjustment setting.  If you set the sped on low you should be able to grab the wiper and try to stall it.  It should build pressure quickly and try to rip the arm out of your grasp.  IF the sliding seals are oiled and not badly worn, that is.  If it won't develope torque then you should pull the unit sand clean the inside sliding valves and the wiping main airf chamber.  Oil all that stuff with synthetic oil or silicone lube.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: