Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 05:16:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reinstalling Starter  (Read 3176 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 05:29:03 PM »

Thanks for the help.  It is back in now.  I tightened the bolts as much as I could with a standard 3/8" ratchet.  I doubt there is any way my puny self could have over-torqued it with such a small tool.  I did give them a little snug with a small extension.  I will monitor them too see if they begin to loosen.  Normally, this would not have been a question, but since that had been put on so tightly just a few hundred miles ago, I thought that maybe that was required.

Anyway, after trying to trace the starting hesitation through the whole system, I finally got to tackling the starter, which was the problem.  I was pretty sure of that when I noticed that one of the lead battery terminals was melting probably from a ridiculously high amperage draw.  I started it up a couple of times to test it, and it sings.  Maybe we can get some trouble free use in for a while now.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »

Would a "Thread lock" type product made it that hard to get out Huh   JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »

It all depends, there are many types of thread lockers for many sizes, uses and temps.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 09:11:25 AM »

Quote from: jjrbus
Would a "Thread lock" type product made it that hard to get out Huh   JIm

Quote from: gus
It all depends, there are many types of thread lockers for many sizes, uses and temps.

What Gus said! As long as "Loctite" and other such products are properly matched for their intended application they are great! What is a real PIA is when someone uses the wrong stuff and it can actually cause damage removing a bolt after word! They make all kinds and all have labels saying the size bolts, intended torque range, heat range, as well as a general use description! Use the right stuff and "no worries!"
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »

Some thread-loc compounds require heat (up to 500F) to safely remove.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »

Just to keep things straight, these bolts did not have any thread lock on them.  The person that tightened them said that he is sometimes known for getting things really tight.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »

I'd be really hesitant to put any thread locking compound on starter bolts.

How you gonna get 'em out next time?

There are precious few places a busnut needs to resort to Loctite.

The 4 little screws for the fan on your big air-cooled Delco might be one place... but otherwise, best go real easy with that stuff.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »

Some loctite requires very little torque to loosen, it all depends on what you use. It is never a good idea to just pick up a tube and use it without knowing its specs, there are many, many different kinds.

I think loctite is very useful because these old guys vibrate so much, stuff is always coming loose on my oldie (1954).

I have a stout son-in-law who can install nuts I can't get loose, he probably breaks a few along the way!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 10:01:58 AM »

I was happy to read this thread as I have to have my starter pulled for rebuild. Unable to do it myelf as I just got out of the Hospital with a brand new complete left hip on Saturday. But after it's been repaired I'm hoping to do the re-install. I'll be able to put a lot more torque on that mammy-jammer now!

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »

I was happy to read this thread as I have to have my starter pulled for rebuild. Unable to do it myelf as I just got out of the Hospital with a brand new complete left hip on Saturday. But after it's been repaired I'm hoping to do the re-install. I'll be able to put a lot more torque on that mammy-jammer now!

NCbob

Wink

Bob glad to hear from ya again, good luck and great to hear you'll be get'n around better soon too!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 11:09:45 AM »

Bob,

Hope your recovering goes well.  I really was not sure I wanted to do the R and R on the starter, but cheap as I am, I did it.  It is easy to get to and straight forward but heavy.  I sometimes contemplate whether it is better to pay a mechanic or a doctor.  Anyway, it was decided for me since the local auto electric place's price for starter and labor were out of line, so I removed it myself to take it elsewhere.  Anyway, at least gravity was on my side in the take out.  Putting it back was different.  I used a combination of a sling and levers to get it in, but if you have a floor jack, it would be much easier.

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »

Unless you are 20 year old line backer, rolling floor jack is very necessary tool for reinstalling starter Grin  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a one-trick pony let me again put in a plug for the Delco 39MT series of starters.  I can't actually one hand mine at full arm sideways extension but I'm sure some of you could.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »

39MT is great as long as you have a right handed rotation engine.  At Freightliner, the servicing of these jewels is alot more frequent then the old MT41 or 42.  If you can heft the weight, I would stick with the old tried and true MT41.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: