Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 07:59:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your favorite trip in your bus?  (Read 2632 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:39:51 PM »

With it being summer and all I was wondering, what trip in your coach stands out favorably that you will always remember? Where did you go? What made it stand out?

I apologize if this has been asked recently, I don't get to visit the forum much lately.

-Dave
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:42:34 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:35:12 AM »

Hi Dave,

One of my top two was at the Great Smokey Mountains.

There is just so much to see and do.

We stayed in Cherokee, NC at the KOA.

Since we enjoy the natural attractions, between riding the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Jeep (top off, of course) and seeing the falls, sliding rock and the river trips, it was a total blast.

We were there a week and just barely saw a fraction of what it is in the area.

Since everyone fell asleep (except me) on the way home, it was a Great trip.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:50:48 AM »

The Rockies has to be one of my favorites. Just about anywhere, as long as I can hike and climb.

Rocky mountain national park was the last one (a while back), and I always love going there. We don't get out there enough.

Otherwise I like the Boise ID area, towards the Oregon boarder (Mountain home, and near where Clifford's summer home is). The mountains out there have a rugged beauty to them.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:46:01 AM »

Best summer trip: Alaska 9 weeks with 3 weeks in Alaska. Saw Glacier, Banff, Denali, mountains and more mountains with blue lakes, moose, bear, dall sheep, sealions, otters, whales and salmon.

With two female teenagers on board, after visiting my mother and friends in Alabama, we spent two days at Cedar Point. they had a great time. I rode a couple of coasters.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:51:57 AM »

The next one!  in my case literally, we are planning a two week swing through Nova Scotia, scouting locations for our retirement home.  Looking for a couple of acres with river frontage, some outbuildings (bus sized parking, 'natch) and no close neighbours to suddenly buy LOUD Harleys and use the street as a  drag strip at 2 in the am, and you get the drift.  Peace and quiet.

Trips we've take to Myrtle Beach, Savannah, and our trip this spring to South Carolina where all excellent, but truly the best is yet to come!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 05:55:54 AM »

Seeing and doing so much on every trip, it is very difficult to say which was our favorite.  I guess it it always our current trip, because we are always seeing or doing something new. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
rip

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:32:23 AM »

Alaska,just for it's rugged beauty and we love to fish.While fishing the Kenai river we had a very large Moose crossing the river right behind our boat.I would love to go back soon. When Brian said he was going to Nova Scotia that also was a great trip.We loved Nova Scotia along with going to P.E.Island and Quebec. But then I think about Oregon and we just love the coast and been there several times.
   Don
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 06:52:08 AM »

The one I'm on now!  As I sit here in my bus reading the boards looking out the windows at all the beauty of this country.

Every trip is memorable. My kids will have some great memories to pass on to their kids. Most will be about their crazy father who partially built an RV from an old Greyhound
and then dragged them to all corners of the globe, but as the years go by, they'll long for the old days and may one day decide to build their own bus.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
cody

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »

Each one has been my favorite so far, one great trip was in the Revcon back in 2001, we left for Summersville, WV for a bluegrass fest in june of that year, enjoyed the fest, saw my first poisonous snake, got permanently terrified by them and had a ball, we hit several bluegrass fests that trip and picked up my daughter and dragged her around for a while, we got back home october 21st.  Another great trip was the run south where we got to meet a bunch of great people, we stopped in tenn for a while and got to meet BK and the crew there and then on to jacks place in florida, we pulled into arcadia about 6PM on christmas eve and called jack from a grocery store, he said stay there he'd come get us and before long a large riding lawnmower with a cab pulled up and out stepped NCBob and jack, it wasn't a mower but a car, turned out to be a kinda nice car but I hadn't seen one like that before.  We followed them to jacks where I got to see my second poisonous snake laying flat on the highway, Tom Mason had flattened it on his way to jacks place, thats where I learned the sound a snake makes, kinda thump thump. We got home from that trip in May, we've had a bunch of great trips and if the good lords willing , we'll have a bunch more. 
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 07:05:04 AM »

Our first big trip in the Courier 96 to Ft. Worth, Tx. The boys were younger then, 10 and 12, in many ways the best age for kids. Taking the long way home through N. Mex, Co, Wy, Montana, taking in all the sights...

Another one that stands out is to Moab, Utah with the dirt bikes this March. One day at a time, not knowing where we're going to sleep the next night... The boys aren't as excited about the bus anymore, (teenagers...), but they still appreciate it for the space and convenience. Of course I have as much fun with the bus, if not more, than riding a dirt bike.

Nathan the older one, 17, is driving now. He has to do his air brakes course, (mandatory in B.C.). Then he can start driving the bus. That'll be interesting...! But I want them to learn to drive a big rig. And he can get excited about bus trips again.

JC  

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 07:20:37 AM »

Well I have only been on one trip since getting it livable. That was great but I have to  say the trip to get the bus in OR was one trip I will never forget. I was December 2007 and about 10 below. We just left Winnemucca NV and I was doing about 80 mph in our Outback when a coyote decided to commit suicide. I had the wife screaming in my ear as he came out of the barrow pit. I sure was glad the air bags didn't go off. I stopped to inspect the damage and found there to be some but nothing I couldn't live with. I had my wife, daughter and my grandson were on board for this trip. We got to Bend OR at about noon and my mind was running away with thoughts of what the H** was I thinking, hope it isn't junk, did I waste my time and money and what will the wife and daughter say if all the above is true. My stomach wasn't in much better shape after driving all this way to get a bus that I have never seen in person. When I rounded the corner an saw the bus sitting there I was very pleased with myself. I drove that thing 400 miles home with with a smile from ear to ear and got to give everybody in town a ride that wanted one before I took out all the seats. I sure we will have trips that top this one but this is the start of the madness.

John
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:23:37 AM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »

My absolute best trip was the first and that one was a horror story.  Truly scary.  My friends said they would have abandoned the Winnie and another asked how I stopped myself from slashing my wrists.  That rip included a fire in the dash that obliterated my vision and chocked me out while motoring down the freeway and finding out why this thing is getting a whopping 2 miles to the gallon.  Then there was the bath in scalding differential oil.  And on and on and on!!!!!!

Most memorable.  Isn't that the best?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »

The 5100 mile trip with Dad & my son to Hungry Horse, MT (- spent over a day loading 11,000 pounds of bus parts & junk & took another day to tour Glacier National Park) was a memorable one given we did it all in 7 days!

The trip to bring one home from Delaware was interesting - from blocking the pier entrance on the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel while we thought the batteries were bad (so we replaced them) to making a wrong turn & finding out the reverse solenoid was jammed - then upon trying to restart it, we found it was the starter solenoid was bad - all while blocking traffic in a less than friendly neighborhood (think gang bangers). The fact that the two friends that went with me on that trip are still speaking to me is proof we're all NUTS!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »

Our favorite trip is this last one.
   From north of Seattle to Sacramento for the jazz fest, to Lake Minden for the boat races, to Reno for the hell of it, to Roseburg for Camp Gregory and relatives, to Rickreall for Bus'n USA, to Champoeg State Park for the river and relatives, to McMinnville for the Air Museum, to Spokane for relatives, to Newport for rest, to Pasco for the hydroplane races and relatives, then ease on home for the wife. Great trip. Only 2500 miles but we took 10 weeks and met some great people.
   The only problem we had with the bus is an exhaust leak the last day. Ambient temps from Pasco to Ellensburg were around 103 deg. and the bus stayed under 195 even on the passes with the misters run periodically. I think a manifold crack that was welded 7 years ago may have gone bad. I'll look for one with out cracks this time. I guess welding didn't work that well on that big old manifold...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:11:08 PM »

. . . . I think a manifold crack that was welded 7 years ago may have gone bad. I'll look for one with out cracks this time. I guess welding didn't work that well on that big old manifold...Cable
I donno, it was repaired because it was cracked. & that repair lasted 7 years! Sounds like a good repair to me.  Grin

I'd love to take a 10 week tour  Cool. . . . Not likely to happen while I have to work for a living . . .  Sad

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: