Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 04:41:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife wants an oven! Suggestions please!  (Read 3142 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »

Subject says it all. I have landed on the stainless summit refer and now she wants to add an oven. Would love to get some suggestions on which to look at.

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »

I took mine out. Too much heat and too much wasted space. There have been some very good discussions on this topic and it might be worthwhile to search it. I went with two induction cooktops and a convection microwave. Couldn't be happier and I am cooking for eight.

Read this tread: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=15586.0

What I wrote:

"The PO of my bus had put in a propane gas range. After trying to use it one time I knew why it looked new. It threw off so much heat you could hardly stand to be near it. The PO also made the kitchen too large and I needed more living/sleeping space. I knew the range had to go but I didn't know what to do to replace my ability to cook inside, even though we like to cook outside as much as possible, sometimes weather or time doesn't allow it. After reading Sean's post on induction cooking, I decided that was what I was looking for. I took out the old range and moved the entire cabinet and countertop section down to fill in the hole and free up some floorspace. I replaced the standard microwave with one that had convection cooking, and I ordered two portable induction cooktops.  I liked the idea of being able to store the cooktops out of the way when not needed and keep a clean clutter free counter that could be used for other things. I didn't get to do any trial runs before my big trip but thankfully it worked just as planned. The cooktops are an absolute dream to use, and I would NEVER go back to a gas stove inside the bus (My house is all propane so I know all about it.). Everything that has been said about induction cooking is true. In addition to being fast and efficient, they hardly produce any waste heat that can make the small space in a bus uncomfortable. I do not know why anyone doing a conversion would use anything else. Count me in the group that sings induction cooking praises."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:53:07 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
ccbmster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:13:34 PM »

I think you will be happy with the Summit refer....I had an 8.8 Stainless for about four years and it performed very well.

We just use convection microwave inside and have a gas camp stove/oven for cooking outside that works great and it wasn't all that expensive either.

Never heard of the induction portables before but just did a little research after reading this thread and suspect I will be investing in a couple of those soon...they sound like just the ticket.

86 MCI 102A3  MI/CA with SoCal being primary. 6V92 with Allison 740 Auto
82 MCI 9 8V71N with Allison 740 Auto..soon to be parted out or scrapped
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:47:22 AM »

We have a propane RV oven and while it needs some skill, foresight and cunning (read - it doesn't really work all that well) my wife likes it, likes the challenge, and is very happy with it.  it's problem is mostly the heat is not well distributed inside the oven, anything on the rack is likely to burn.  Electric portables I have seen, I wanted built in plus we don't have an over abundance of electricity being a 30 amp coach designed for use when there is little electricity available.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 03:48:12 AM »

As it happens I bought an oven for my bus earlier this week. I am the world's least interested person in cooking, so all I wanted was something that was small and simple and would take up the minimum space in the bus while being ok for occasional use. The one I got was one of these, except that mine is black:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SILVER-MINI-OVEN-GRILL-LITRES/dp/B002AGIVRG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I know nothing about the maker (Silvercrest) except that they are German - and I bought my oven from Lidl, which is a German chain of discount supermarkets that have lots of branches here in the UK. They had the oven as their 'deal of the week' for a very low price - and a few weeks earlier I bought a matching Silvercrest induction hob (cooktop as you call them) from the same place, which was also on special offer.

I'm sure that neither of these products would suit an enthusiastic cook, but they are perfect for me. If I find I've bought something that can't be microwaved I'm more likely to throw it away than mess about getting pans dirty

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 04:14:31 AM »

We went with a 3 burner cook top and a microwave/convection oven.  Here is our reasoning, your milage may vary. We (actually Paula, as I rarely cook except to warm stuff in the microwave) does not use an oven that often when we are in our coach, we have a gas grill for outdoor cooking. We knew we would definately have a microwave, so why not make that space the oven also. That freed up the space under the cook top that would have been oven for pots & pans storage. Even with 20 amp connection, we can run the microwave/convection oven if we shut off the AC and water heater. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 04:36:59 AM »

We have a microwave convection, and just recently purchased a NuWave. Becky and I really like the NuWave, it cooks like an oven and doesn't waste valuable space. It sits on our counter top, easy to use and will cook a small turkey. She bakes some rolls the other night and only took a few minutes. We put it in our lower kitchen cabinets when not in use.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 05:01:48 AM »

I ditto the microwave convection oven as it gakes very well and takes up very little space. learning the programming is most important though. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »

We've got a Magic Chef RV 3 burner + oven.  It works good and the wife likes it.  (that's all that matters).  
From the flow of the posts, however, it looks like convection is more popular.    Therefore, it is your choice to have it your way that works best for you.   If it's a vacation rig your wife won't want to cook much.  If it is fulltime then an oven would be more appropriate.

Check the www.escapees.com  website and get some ideas over there.   They really like to give opinions on anything in the RV lifestyle.

David
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:08:52 PM by David Anderson » Logged
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »

My Grandmother was a good cook, and she very much enjoyed it. As she got older, she found it difficult and wasteful to use her full size range. She started using a toaster oven and I was amazed at how versatile and fast they are if you are only cooking small meals. I used to turn my nose up at them and thought they were somewhat a gimmick. Not any more!

steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »

Cooking with a convection/micro oven is an artform in itself.....Some of our meals are kinda interesting.

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »

Although mine isn't SS I would give it to you if we were close enough. We never use it, the MW serves all our needs.

However, we are strictly travelers. We don't full time or dry camp. In those cases I suppose an oven would be worth while but I still think a MW or outdoor grill would do just as well.

My theory is my wife is on vacation also so she does no cooking whatsoever, just makes sandwiches or we MW frozen stuff from home or buy MVable stuff from WM.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »

We have an rv style propane oven/stove combo.  It was here when we bought the coach.  I would have gone with a microwave/ convection but don't care enough to change it before something fails.  Induction hubs would be nice, but the propane stove is easy and versatile.  I could see having a propane cooktop and a portable induction hub.  You could just tell her you don't like her cooking, so she can skip the oven.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »

For anyone that hasn't used the micro-convection combo before,  they look really small.  The truth is, you can pack them pretty full because of the convection feature.  They cook real even and fast.  It will hold a big meat loaf with baked potatoes.  It will do a chicken. It will do a two layer cake.   Who would want to do a turkey?  I use the one at home a lot more often that my regular oven.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »

We have a Ge profile stainless electric....draws around 19 amps @220 and does the job well it only 26 inches wed so it's apt. Side smooth top convection the whole works... Wife is a chef and she loves it! Only downfall is you HAVE o have 50amp or genny to operate... 2 years no complaints!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »

I have seen several bus converters (starting with the PO of mine) who got the wife on board with the promise of a large kitchen. Then when on vacation the wife decides she is on a vacation from cooking. Now those buses have a kitchen area that is too large and sacrifices good living space. Remember this is a bus not a house. Think small and efficient (like a boat) and you will be happier with your conversion.

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »

I looked at the combo MW/Conv, then realized that I could spend about 1/3 as much and get better ovens just by getting normal stuff at the box store.  What I saved on the combo bought my 6-burner JennAir downdraft stove (the one with the BBQ grille).

My coach IS my house.  I fulltime.  I use every square inch of the counterspace, I LOVE the huge sink, I have had all 6 burners going at one time now and then, and the only change that I would make if I had to replace this coach is to get a 102 instead of the 96. and maybe 45 feet instead of 40.
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »

I must agree with the previous posters in both ways we also full-time so the "big kitchen" is for us all the way... If your just a "recreational user small and efficient is good! As with so many things it's all up to you! Electric vs propane boondocking or "pole hugging" In the end it's whatever makes the better half happy and does the job for you!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »

We have an Atwood propane stove with 3 burners and an oven.  My wife likes to bake, and knows how to use the oven-compared to trying to learn the convection oven.  In our truck conversion I will be using the same set up-the 3 burner stove with oven and an overhead microwave.  In 16 years of being in the bus, 100% reliable.  As to heating the bus up-just run the A/C-that's what they're for.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 01:13:56 AM »

Most people think they cook more than they do even at home. If someone is cooking like they did in the '50s then that is a true exception today. Those of you who FT and spend that kind of time cooking are few. Efficiency and speed tend to be the norm. Where you spend the most time is where you should dedicate the most space.

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

Most people think they cook more than they do even at home. If someone is cooking like they did in the '50s then that is a true exception today. Those of you who FT and spend that kind of time cooking are few. Efficiency and speed tend to be the norm. Where you spend the most time is where you should dedicate the most space.

The point is that when I DO cook, I have everything that I need to make any meal that I know how to make.  I don't have to cut corners or juggle between the small burners on an RV stove.

Other than the stove and ovens, my kitchen includes a rice cooker (Tiger), deep fryer (DeLonghi), waffle maker (Krupp "spinner"), meat slicer, Bosch Universal mixer/blender/juicer/ice cream maker/grinder and a deep freeze (which, unfortunately I can't use except on shore power, though my next solar power upgrade will correct that problem and also give me enough capacity to use my washer/dryer).

From front to back, the ONLY RV part in my entire coach is the fridge (I need to be able to run on propane).   Everything else is normal house stuff.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »

We bought a Nuwave oven for the bus Although we have never used it in the bus  Roll Eyes We have cooked in it for over a year at home. It has made some of the best hams and meats we have ever had. https://www.nuwaveoven.com/flare/next

I think Dreamscape has bought one as well. The nice thing is you can store them away as well. You can also bake with them. They use conduction, convection and infrared to cook.

HTH,
Bryan
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »

First bus we did the usual three burner stove with oven. Microwave. And yeah we did the RV refeer thing also. We did use the oven maybe five times in 10 years.The RV style stove oven is just too small to be really useful. If you don't watch the pan size then stuff burns in places and is underdone in others.

Second bus we have 3 burner cooktop and convection microwave. Say yes to both. And go with the 120VAC refeer. 18ft3 with ice maker for less than $700.
Don't forget to buy her a cookbook for the new oven.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: