Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:04:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife wants an oven! Suggestions please!  (Read 3226 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »

I have seen several bus converters (starting with the PO of mine) who got the wife on board with the promise of a large kitchen. Then when on vacation the wife decides she is on a vacation from cooking. Now those buses have a kitchen area that is too large and sacrifices good living space. Remember this is a bus not a house. Think small and efficient (like a boat) and you will be happier with your conversion.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »

I looked at the combo MW/Conv, then realized that I could spend about 1/3 as much and get better ovens just by getting normal stuff at the box store.  What I saved on the combo bought my 6-burner JennAir downdraft stove (the one with the BBQ grille).

My coach IS my house.  I fulltime.  I use every square inch of the counterspace, I LOVE the huge sink, I have had all 6 burners going at one time now and then, and the only change that I would make if I had to replace this coach is to get a 102 instead of the 96. and maybe 45 feet instead of 40.
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »

I must agree with the previous posters in both ways we also full-time so the "big kitchen" is for us all the way... If your just a "recreational user small and efficient is good! As with so many things it's all up to you! Electric vs propane boondocking or "pole hugging" In the end it's whatever makes the better half happy and does the job for you!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »

We have an Atwood propane stove with 3 burners and an oven.  My wife likes to bake, and knows how to use the oven-compared to trying to learn the convection oven.  In our truck conversion I will be using the same set up-the 3 burner stove with oven and an overhead microwave.  In 16 years of being in the bus, 100% reliable.  As to heating the bus up-just run the A/C-that's what they're for.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 01:13:56 AM »

Most people think they cook more than they do even at home. If someone is cooking like they did in the '50s then that is a true exception today. Those of you who FT and spend that kind of time cooking are few. Efficiency and speed tend to be the norm. Where you spend the most time is where you should dedicate the most space.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

Most people think they cook more than they do even at home. If someone is cooking like they did in the '50s then that is a true exception today. Those of you who FT and spend that kind of time cooking are few. Efficiency and speed tend to be the norm. Where you spend the most time is where you should dedicate the most space.

The point is that when I DO cook, I have everything that I need to make any meal that I know how to make.  I don't have to cut corners or juggle between the small burners on an RV stove.

Other than the stove and ovens, my kitchen includes a rice cooker (Tiger), deep fryer (DeLonghi), waffle maker (Krupp "spinner"), meat slicer, Bosch Universal mixer/blender/juicer/ice cream maker/grinder and a deep freeze (which, unfortunately I can't use except on shore power, though my next solar power upgrade will correct that problem and also give me enough capacity to use my washer/dryer).

From front to back, the ONLY RV part in my entire coach is the fridge (I need to be able to run on propane).   Everything else is normal house stuff.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »

We bought a Nuwave oven for the bus Although we have never used it in the bus  Roll Eyes We have cooked in it for over a year at home. It has made some of the best hams and meats we have ever had. https://www.nuwaveoven.com/flare/next

I think Dreamscape has bought one as well. The nice thing is you can store them away as well. You can also bake with them. They use conduction, convection and infrared to cook.

HTH,
Bryan
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »

First bus we did the usual three burner stove with oven. Microwave. And yeah we did the RV refeer thing also. We did use the oven maybe five times in 10 years.The RV style stove oven is just too small to be really useful. If you don't watch the pan size then stuff burns in places and is underdone in others.

Second bus we have 3 burner cooktop and convection microwave. Say yes to both. And go with the 120VAC refeer. 18ft3 with ice maker for less than $700.
Don't forget to buy her a cookbook for the new oven.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: